Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-11-2019, 07:48 AM

15 posts, read 19,152 times

Advertisements

The Windsor Border Region has 4 French radio stations: 1550am (news/talk), 103.9 (music), and 105.5 (news/talk) out of Windsor, and 103.1 out of Leamington, yet the Niagara Falls Region does not have any at all. There is nothing out of St. Catherines, Niagara-On-The-Lake, Niagara Falls, etc. The city of Welland, which is located in the Niagara Region is estimated at 11% French speaking out of the 50K plus population. I find it odd that there are no French radio stations for that region.

I get that these days, it is easier than ever to listen to anything you want, anywhere, anytime. One can have satellite radio in the car; one can stream through devices whether at home or driving, etc. I get all this. Therefore, when a resident of Niagara Falls wishes to listen to French radio, that individual can do it through these ways.

However, CBC/Radio-Canada has always been good about providing traditional am/fm radio stations in French for all major and minor communities across Canada regardless of the percentage of French spoken in that region. You'd think Niagara Region would have it.

My information is sourced from the well-known wikipedia, and says it is updated as of 2019.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-11-2019, 08:14 AM

26,882 posts, read 38,032,223 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tejas1976 View Post
The Windsor Border Region has 4 French radio stations: 1550am (news/talk), 103.9 (music), and 105.5 (news/talk) out of Windsor, and 103.1 out of Leamington, .

Three of those four signals are the exact same station airing the exact same stuff. One is the main station (ICI Radio-Canada Première) based in Windsor itself which has some degree of local programming - mainly AM and PM drive shows from 5 am to 9 am and 3 pm to 6 pm. The rest of the day is all national Radio-Canada programming out of Montreal.

The other station is ICI Musique which is Radio-Canada's "second" network and features mostly music. It's almost all out of Montreal though they do break for local news a few times a day.

Several friends of mine have worked at Radio-Canada Windsor. Like most Radio-Canada stations outside Quebec it's a common launching pad for francophone media types to gain some experience. While not part of the CBC/Radio-Canada mandate the Windsor station has a not-insignificant number of listeners in Metro Detroit, especially among French expats who work in the auto industry and other sectors. When they have phone-in contests they tell me it's often French people in Southfield or Rochester Hills, etc. who win.

Old 10-11-2019, 08:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tejas1976 View Post
yet the Niagara Falls Region does not have any at all. There is nothing out of St. Catherines, Niagara-On-The-Lake, Niagara Falls, etc. The city of Welland, which is located in the Niagara Region is estimated at 11% French speaking out of the 50K plus population. I find it odd that there are no French radio stations for that region.

I get that these days, it is easier than ever to listen to anything you want, anywhere, anytime. One can have satellite radio in the car; one can stream through devices whether at home or driving, etc. I get all this. Therefore, when a resident of Niagara Falls wishes to listen to French radio, that individual can do it through these ways.

However, CBC/Radio-Canada has always been good about providing traditional am/fm radio stations in French for all major and minor communities across Canada regardless of the percentage of French spoken in that region. You'd think Niagara Region would have it.

My information is sourced from the well-known wikipedia, and says it is updated as of 2019.
I think the expectation is that the signal from Radio-Canada's Toronto stations (Première and ICI Musique) reaches most of the Niagara region.

Radio-Canada does have a reporter who is dedicated to covering Niagara on a full-time basis. He files with the Toronto station where his reports are aired.

Old 10-11-2019, 10:21 AM

15 posts, read 19,152 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post
I think the expectation is that the signal from Radio-Canada's Toronto stations (Première and ICI Musique) reaches most of the Niagara region.

Radio-Canada does have a reporter who is dedicated to covering Niagara on a full-time basis. He files with the Toronto station where his reports are aired.
Thanks Acajack, I knew I could count on you for thoughtful responses.

Old 10-12-2019, 09:44 AM

5,109 posts, read 2,050,817 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post
Several friends of mine have worked at Radio-Canada Windsor. Like most Radio-Canada stations outside Quebec it's a common launching pad for francophone media types to gain some experience. While not part of the CBC/Radio-Canada mandate the Windsor station has a not-insignificant number of listeners in Metro Detroit, especially among French expats who work in the auto industry and other sectors. When they have phone-in contests they tell me it's often French people in Southfield or Rochester Hills, etc. who win.
That's reminds me of a tv show who aired during summer season in the 1970s and 1980s called "Reflets d'Un Pays" about francophone people outside Quebec. I miss that kind of show.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6bnhLUHsHgg

Speaking of people who used stations outside Quebec as a launching pad for francophone people, Henri Bergeron who hosted once "Les Beaux Dimanches" on Sundays nights on Radio-Canada beginned on CKSB-AM of St-Boniface. That station was acquired by Radio-Canada in 1973. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/CKSB-10-FM

Old 10-12-2019, 10:16 AM

Henri Bergeron was one of the great media voices from our past.

He was actually Franco-Manitoban originally as opposed to a Québécois who moved West to gain a bit of experience.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada