Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-14-2019, 12:12 PM

1 posts, read 317 times

Advertisements

Hello, everyone. I'm new here. Not that I haven't lurked endlessly in the past for various research purposes. Life changes drove me to finally create an account and post something. I'll try not to get into too many details, but given the path life has presented, that's a little challenging.

First and foremost, I am a dual citizen of Canada and the U.S and have lived stateside for a number of years. I was born and raised in Ontario and attended French immersion schools throughout childhood. I remember only the very basics, although, I certainly plan on taking some French classes after I arrive. Moving to Ontario isn't an option. It has to be Quebec with easy access to Vermont. That precise reason is why I have selected this location. Also, because it's beautiful and offers affordable rent.

I'd personally prefer not to have to relocate at all, but my American spouse (we were never in Canada long enough to consider applying for his CA citizenship) is undergoing treatment stateside for leukemia. His family is in Vermont and that is where his treatment is taking place. Due to the sensitive nature of his illness and treatments (and possible stem cell transplant), he can't live with pets and risk being scratched and getting infected. We both love our pets and he'd like for us to keep them somehow. So, we have to live separately for the time being and make some very difficult life choices and sacrifices.

Luckily, my job travels with me wherever I go, so finding a job won't be an issue. My employer is international and willing to employ me as a Canadian once I get there. I am currently employed as an American and that is the income I'll be providing proof of to a prospective landlord for consideration. I am seeking a cat friendly 4 1/2 or better apartment/house/dwelling that will allow me to start the rental paperwork/application process before I arrive. That way, when I do arrive, I'd just like to sign the final agreement, pay whatever dues I haven't paid already and collect the key.

I am looking for suggestions mostly from people who've been able to successfully secure housing before arrival? Do you know any property management companies or private landlords I should start with?

Also, I wonder if the lovely people of Sherbrooke are forgiving of native English speakers whose French needs a lot of work?

Many apologies for the novel length post. The details, in this case, were necessary in case anyone insisted I look elsewhere.

Thank you, kindly, for any information you can provide.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-14-2019, 08:30 PM

143 posts, read 133,366 times
I'll be more than happy to help you. I pretty much am back to living in Sherbrooke most of the time, and I have been running a portfolio of properties here (most of them are downtown) for nearly 15 years now. (It's my hometown, I grew up here, and that's where family/friends are). In fact right now I have either a super nice 4 1/2 (a bit pricey though), a couple 4 1/2s that will most definitely be the cheapest you can find in this city (and they're still decent), or a 5 1/2 that may or may not be available right now (it's empty, but my friend who's running AirBnBs in my buildings really wants to add it to what he's managing for me, and I kinda said yes already).

If for some reason none of that suits you, I'll still be happy to help. The Lennoxville borough is very anglophone (and closer to Vermont, if you take the "old road" to Stanstead / I-91, which is what I do every time I have to go to northern VT for business, which is often) but rents there are slightly less cheap as it functions as a college town that attracts people from out of province (causing upward pressure on rents).

But you should be fine with English even in downtown Sherbrooke.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada