Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-24-2019, 07:39 PM

7,309 posts, read 9,326,230 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mouldy Old Schmo View Post
Scheer’s father was born in the USA, not Scheer himself.
I for one have no problem with Sheer's dual citizenship.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-24-2019, 07:48 PM

26,882 posts, read 38,032,223 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by netwit View Post
I don't care either.

Old 10-24-2019, 10:19 PM

2,869 posts, read 5,137,197 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lieneke View Post
I didn't realize that people could immigrate to Canada, take Canadian citizenship and become Prime Minister while holding dual citizenship. I think it's time for a new law that prevents anyone holding dual citizenship from running the country. I might even go so far as to suggest that only those born in Canada should be eligible for the Prime Minister's job.
I absolutely disagree with you. 22% of Canadians are foreign-born, including 29% of Ontarians and 28% of British Columbians. If the most qualified candidate is one of them then he/she should be allowed to become PM. If it bothers too many people then he/she won’t be voted in, why make it a law? Let the people decide.

My son is a dual citizen as he was born in the US while I was in graduate school there; he is a Canadian citizen because both his parents are Canadian. We came back to Canada when he was 18 months old, roughly 3 months after we finally received his Canadian certificate of citizenship. He is as Canadian as anybody here and if he became ineligible to become PM because of the place where he was born (which he didn’t choose) that would rather be at odds with everything Canada stands for internationally.

I didn’t vote for Scheer but his dual citizenship had absolutely nothing to do with my decision.

Old 10-24-2019, 11:18 PM

7,489 posts, read 4,955,226 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by barneyg View Post
I absolutely disagree with you. 22% of Canadians are foreign-born, including 29% of Ontarians and 28% of British Columbians. If the most qualified candidate is one of them then he/she should be allowed to become PM. If it bothers too many people then he/she won’t be voted in, why make it a law? Let the people decide.

My son is a dual citizen as he was born in the US while I was in graduate school there; he is a Canadian citizen because both his parents are Canadian. We came back to Canada when he was 18 months old, roughly 3 months after we finally received his Canadian certificate of citizenship. He is as Canadian as anybody here and if he became ineligible to become PM because of the place where he was born (which he didn’t choose) that would rather be at odds with everything Canada stands for internationally.

I didn’t vote for Scheer but his dual citizenship had absolutely nothing to do with my decision.
I'm first generation Canadian. If I agreed with you, then I would believe that people like my parents, landed immigrants delving into local culture, should have the opportunity to take over the country and impose their values on the country.

My parents never became Canadian citizens because they didn't believe that it was an option to swear allegiance to more than one country - since any two countries might go to war, never know.

My parents put culture in the house, and adapted outside the house. When we left the house, we looked, spoke and acted like everyone else. We left our tradition and religion in the house. That's Canadian (except NDP).

I don't believe it is possible for a foreigner to have local values. Canada should not have a Prime Minister who does not have Canadian values from birth. If your son is as Canadian as everyone else, why does he have one foot in another country? Canadians don't have one foot in two countries - hedging bets on which country is better.

Canada is not a free for all, as Trudeau stated to the world a couple of years ago. Canada has a culture and needs more trades people (like the 1970s Arbeit Werkers). Canada is not a place where someone from Syria should be able to weasel his way into politics and have Christa Freeland freak out that it happened.

Scheer's dual citizenship made no difference to me. I assumed that he could set aside his USA interests and citizenship. His religion also makes no difference to me. If he is a Catholic who follows the Pope, then he has to go with what the people want, but it is not cool to try to corner Scheer into saying that he personally does not agree with abortion, especially since the abortion debate is closed in Canada.

Last edited by Lieneke; 10-24-2019 at 11:29 PM..

Old 10-24-2019, 11:28 PM

5,428 posts, read 3,497,292 times
Quote:
Perhaps, but it's understandable why a person holding such a position would be required to renounce his other citizenship. There can always be a conflict of interest.

Old 10-25-2019, 12:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Milky Way Resident View Post
Perhaps, but it's understandable why a person holding such a position would be required to renounce his other citizenship. There can always be a conflict of interest.
What potential conflict can you envision?

Old 10-25-2019, 01:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Milky Way Resident View Post
People swear or are granted allegiance to a country when they are born or become citizens, and in military or times of war. WW2 is a good example where dual citizens had to pick a Queen.

If someone is born into one country, and more or less "baptized" into that culture and values, that's who they are. Even the Belgians who run to Syria to join ISIS/Daesh are not authentic rebels. They have to be born there and hold those values since birth. Otherwise they are nothing but disposable facades.

Since there can always be a conflict of interest when a Canadian Prime Minister belongs to two countries, there should be stricter law in Canada regarding who can hold the position of Prime Minister.

I'm curious what the law regarding Prime Minister birth place looks like in other countries.Trump made quite a fuss about Obama's birthplace. Is that because Presidents have to be born in the country?

Old 10-25-2019, 01:32 AM

Quote:
People swear or are granted allegiance to a country when they are born or become citizens, and in military or times of war. WW2 is a good example where dual citizens had to pick a Queen.

If someone is born into one country, and more or less "baptized" into that culture and values, that's who they are. Even the Belgians who run to Syria to join ISIS/Daesh are not authentic rebels. They have to be born there and hold those values since birth. Otherwise they are nothing but disposable facades.

Since there can always be a conflict of interest when a Canadian Prime Minister belongs to two countries, there should be stricter law in Canada regarding who can hold the position of Prime Minister.

I'm curious what the law regarding Prime Minister birth place looks like in other countries.Trump made quite a fuss about Obama's birthplace. Is that because Presidents have to be born in the country?
France, Germany, Britain, Israel all allow dual citizenship.
https://nomadcapitalist.com/2017/12/...cond-passport/

Old 10-25-2019, 02:29 AM

Quote:
France, Germany, Britain, Israel all allow dual citizenship.
https://nomadcapitalist.com/2017/12/...cond-passport/
Interesting, so the King of England could also be Russian, and - is there a distinction between countries with Presidents or Prime Ministers? Can the President of the USA be born in a foreign country?

Old 10-25-2019, 07:03 AM

26,882 posts, read 38,032,223 times
Quote:
Interesting, so the King of England could also be Russian,?
It's not as if it hasn't happened before. Many European countries have had foreign-born monarchs. George II of England was from Germany (born and raised).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada