Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-03-2019, 07:28 PM

6,321 posts, read 7,046,591 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by cdnirene View Post
509, Are you sure this was in 1973? The average cost of a barrel of oil then was $4.75. That would have meant an export tax of 42%.

https://inflationdata.com/articles/i...-prices-table/
I tried searching for a history of that meeting. No luck.

But I did find enough information that makes me question my memory.

Anyway, would appreciate others opinions on those days....I do remember Alberta being pissed at Quebec!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-03-2019, 09:44 PM

10,147 posts, read 15,044,974 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 509 View Post
Yep, I was living in Vancouver. I remember the $2 per barrel....the price of oil spiked when the embargo was announced.

During that time I think the US was willing to pay ANY amount for oil. I do remember that the tax was $2 and I think it predated the Arab embargo.

It was November of 1973 when the embargo went into effect. I drove from Vancouver to Berkeley in the dark for Thanksgiving at 55 MPH when Governors Evans, McCall, and Reagan imposed the speed limit to save oil.

It would be interesting to read a Canadian historical account of those days. Hey, I was just a graduate student reading the Vancouver Sun....granted I was always interested in politics and current events.
I remember those days well. There was actually a 55mph National Speed Limit imposed then, even in states like Montana and Utah, which had no speed limits at all on rural highways. They had trouble adjusting to that in some western areas. Montana imposed a $5 fine for violations, which could be paid to the trooper on the spot.

Fortunately, these days USA has basically achieved energy independence, so we are no longer at the whims of middle eastern insanity. Europe is not so fortunate. They rely on both Russia and the Middle East.

Old 11-04-2019, 06:07 AM

26,882 posts, read 38,032,223 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlie Moore 123 View Post

I feel like people in Québec do not like the rest of Canada, especially Albertans.
If you had read all of the posts on here you'd see that the main attitude in Quebec towards the rest of Canada is mostly indifference, not hostility.

Old 11-04-2019, 07:27 AM

9,019 posts, read 14,291,129 times
I don't think there's any hate. Jealousy maybe, but not hate. Heck, Banff may as well be part of Quebec for the winter, as almost everything is run by young Quebecois working in the mountains to ski. On a deeper level, I genuinely believe that Alberta and Quebec probably have the most in common with each other short of Alberta/Saskatchewan

Now Ottawa and Toronto and hate...

Old 11-04-2019, 10:12 AM

14,735 posts, read 15,038,045 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CTMountaineer View Post
I remember those days well. There was actually a 55mph National Speed Limit imposed then, even in states like Montana and Utah, which had no speed limits at all on rural highways. They had trouble adjusting to that in some western areas. Montana imposed a $5 fine for violations, which could be paid to the trooper on the spot.

Fortunately, these days USA has basically achieved energy independence, so we are no longer at the whims of middle eastern insanity. Europe is not so fortunate. They rely on both Russia and the Middle East.
That 55 mph national speed limit was one of the smartest things I ever saw Nixon sign into law. I would have been happier if that law could have been imposed and remained permanently in place throughout every single region of the entire continent of North America. Rescinding it was one of the stupidest, most careless and selfish of moves I've ever seen in my life. What a bunch of thoughtless idiots to not see otherwise.

Old 11-04-2019, 11:40 AM

542 posts, read 503,269 times
We don't hate Alberta. We don't even think of Alberta anymore than we think of North Dakota.

Old 11-04-2019, 04:56 PM

7,309 posts, read 9,326,230 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PBeauchamp View Post
We don't hate Alberta. We don't even think of Alberta anymore than we think of North Dakota.
Likewise

Old 11-05-2019, 12:43 PM

17,198 posts, read 15,390,629 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PBeauchamp View Post
Yeah... Only time I ever recall Alberta being mentioned when I lived in Canada was during hockey games involving their teams. And even then, they appeared to be some of the least exciting matches. Now, talk about Toronto or Boston in Quebec (whether hockey related or not) and you might draw a few frowns.

Old 11-05-2019, 03:35 PM

18,504 posts, read 15,555,283 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by netwit View Post
Likewise
Different in BC, probably because we are next to each other, and have disagreements in regards to pipelines etc.

That's the bad blood. Plenty of good blood as well.

Old 11-06-2019, 01:22 PM

669 posts, read 321,088 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CTMountaineer View Post

While the Arab thing was real, what's been 'whitewashed' into history is that the de-linking of the US Dollar to gold is the cause of the huge depreciation of US Dollars (now just pure paper money.. no intrinsic value link to gold) leading to a fundamental disruption in pricing. When you look at it in hindsight, the Arab thing was just a convenient excuse. If you're a producer, you will absolutely put a stop to current arrangements if you know your hard physical asset will not be paid in 'real' worthless paper (good will of Government is not a real asset). Much like if Oil were to be taken off the US dollar today, you can damn bet producers will call a halt and try to figure out what is going on.

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada