Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 11-07-2019, 10:19 AM

3,805 posts, read 6,356,641 times

Advertisements

Good grief! I've flown and driven into Canada numerous times to visit relatives and/or just to sightsee. Never once did I do more than show my passport, answer a few simple questions and they sent me on my way.

Even so OP, what's the very worst that could happen? They turn you away? (And that WON'T happen.) It's not like you'll be thrown into a dungeon!

Just don't overstay your welcome, obey the laws and go back home when it's time.

If you want to live there, you'll have to meet the requirements that any other immigrant would

Old 11-07-2019, 10:52 AM

10,746 posts, read 26,022,258 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by frenchtoastblix View Post
didn't have to be rude about it, but thank you
Wasn’t being rude.. and you’re welcome.

Old 11-07-2019, 10:58 AM

18,504 posts, read 15,555,283 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoisite View Post
Do you mean you want to visit Canada? If you were never convicted, the charges were dropped and expunged then that incident likely wouldn't have any influence on whether or not you'd be permitted to come for a visit. As far as I'm aware the border authorities don't ask visitors if they've ever been arrested, but they could ask if you've ever been convicted of a crime and have a criminal record.

I've never had a Canadian border guard ask me that, but I have had US border guards at land crossings ask me. It happened only twice.

I always thought it odd, since I would have thought there would be a record if I had been.

Last edited by Natnasci; 11-07-2019 at 11:23 AM..

Old 11-07-2019, 11:19 AM

7,489 posts, read 4,955,226 times
Quote:
Well since you put it that way then I just want to visit, but at the same time want to know if I'll have an issue. While I appreciate the information you gave me I'm still not convinced. It's nothing against you, but for the longest time I've had people gave me mixed answers. I did went on the website though and it kept talking about convictions. Since I wasn't even convicted nor even plead guilty I'm still having a hard time believing anyone.
I think where you will run into difficulties is with your ambiguity about whether you want to visit or immigrate. Even though you made a quick decision here, I'm not convinced that your intention is to visit. Also, you mention an arrest. Again, I'm curious whether this is a recent arrest where you have not been convicted because you are in the middle of the arrest and conviction process.

Although you say that the arrest has been expunged, it is inconsistent with everything else. Expunged means that it is off the record. If it is off the record, you know that it is not something to worry about.

Something about your comments leads me to believe that you would like to go to Canada and not return to the USA. Something about the arrest leads me to believe that although you have not been convicted, you are worried that something could change.

With that in mind, as mentioned upthread, you could visit Canada if you can prove that you intend to return home and you are not in the middle of some sort of criminal prosecution. If you do not have a stable job, a residence and an established life at home, chances are you will be turned around at the border.

Old 11-07-2019, 11:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lieneke View Post
I think where you will run into difficulties is with your ambiguity about whether you want to visit or immigrate. Even though you made a quick decision here, I'm not convinced that your intention is to visit. Also, you mention an arrest. Again, I'm curious whether this is a recent arrest where you have not been convicted because you are in the middle of the arrest and conviction process.

Although you say that the arrest has been expunged, it is inconsistent with everything else. Expunged means that it is off the record. If it is off the record, you know that it is not something to worry about.

Something about your comments leads me to believe that you would like to go to Canada and not return to the USA. Something about the arrest leads me to believe that although you have not been convicted, you are worried that something could change.

With that in mind, as mentioned upthread, you could visit Canada if you can prove that you intend to return home and you are not in the middle of some sort of criminal prosecution. If you do not have a stable job, a residence and an established life at home, chances are you will be turned around at the border.
While I agree with most of what you said here, I'm not sure about the bolded part. When I've flown in, I guess having a round trip ticket was proof I was going home, but not proof of a stable job, a residence or established life. No such proof was there when I drove across the border. And I have never been asked if I'm in the "middle of some sort of criminal prosecution". How would they know to ask that unless they got some sort of alert from the US government?

Old 11-07-2019, 11:41 AM

7,489 posts, read 4,955,226 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sayulita View Post
While I agree with most of what you said here, I'm not sure about the bolded part. When I've flown in, I guess having a round trip ticket was proof I was going home, but not proof of a stable job, a residence or established life. No such proof was there when I drove across the border. And I have never been asked if I'm in the "middle of some sort of criminal prosecution". How would they know to ask that unless they got some sort of alert from the US government?
I agree. I've travelled often between Canada and the USA and have never had a problem - no one asks me anything. I put my passport through the automatic scanners, declare that I'm on business and I'm waived through.

I did have problems flying in and out of Amsterdam every single time, but I was a young traveller and they probably suspected drugs. Eventually I figured out that if I bought a wheel of cheese at the Amsterdam airport and declared an agriculture product when returning home, I was filtered through a different process and no more problems. Maybe drug smugglers don't buy cheese wheels.

Customs agents are trained in detecting all sorts of physical characteristics that betray what people are really thinking. Sometimes they get it right, sometimes they get it wrong.

Old 11-07-2019, 11:46 AM

61,717 posts, read 87,123,005 times
Why do you ask, OP if you aren't going to believe anyone?

BTW: this question was asked before on this forum. Use search function, please.

Old 11-07-2019, 11:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elnina View Post
Why do you ask, OP if you aren't going to believe anyone?
This ^. And as I asked before, what's the worst that could happen? OP seems to fear some sort of vague consequence for something he says is non-existent (a conviction).

Old 11-07-2019, 12:05 PM

14,735 posts, read 15,038,045 times
Quote:
Well since you put it that way then I just want to visit, but at the same time want to know if I'll have an issue. While I appreciate the information you gave me I'm still not convinced. It's nothing against you, but for the longest time I've had people gave me mixed answers. I did went on the website though and it kept talking about convictions. Since I wasn't even convicted nor even plead guilty I'm still having a hard time believing anyone.

Then I think you have no other alternative but to go straight to the horse's mouth - that is to say, you personally contact and make your enquiries directly to the Canada Border Services Agency.
Here --> https://www.cbsa-asfc.gc.ca/contact/menu-eng.html

Old 11-07-2019, 12:14 PM

14,735 posts, read 15,038,045 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lieneke View Post
I agree. I've travelled often between Canada and the USA and have never had a problem - no one asks me anything. I put my passport through the automatic scanners, declare that I'm on business and I'm waived through.

I did have problems flying in and out of Amsterdam every single time, but I was a young traveller and they probably suspected drugs. Eventually I figured out that if I bought a wheel of cheese at the Amsterdam airport and declared an agriculture product when returning home, I was filtered through a different process and no more problems. Maybe drug smugglers don't buy cheese wheels.

Customs agents are trained in detecting all sorts of physical characteristics that betray what people are really thinking. Sometimes they get it right, sometimes they get it wrong.
LOL. That was a really clever idea about bringing a wheel of cheese with you. Brilliant!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada