Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-15-2019, 01:13 PM

6,928 posts, read 5,905,231 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by kttam186290 View Post
When I think of "cultural Christianity", I think of observing a Christmas Mass, an occasional Easter Mass, putting up a tree in December, hunting for eggs in March or April, going to Mardis Gras at some point, etc. Basically, things loosely associated with the Christian calendar. Maybe wearing a cross on occasion...? (I know most of the Christian calendar is rooted in paganism, but its what we know to be "Christian" now).

Wearing a WWJD t-shirt, or a NOTW ("Not of this world" ......don't get me started!) t-shirt, isn't "cultural Christianity", it's obnoxiousness amplified to the nth degree!

Some of our suburban areas here in Southern California seem to be chronically afflicted with this obnoxiousness too.

Canadians are more "European" in how they observe their Christianity, as are most people in the urban U.S., myself included.
In the spirit of the season, here is some "European" Christianity, courtesy of that popular Europeqan band, Boney M. Enjoy!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FHTCldo7uw4
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-15-2019, 01:44 PM

10,060 posts, read 12,810,783 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UrbanLuis View Post
I tried watching deliverance, it was a bit boring, I fell a sleep about half way through. The banjo/guitar scene in the beginning was cool.

When I think of Apalachia I tend to think more of the song "country roads" by John Denver. Not the negative stereotypes mentioned above.
Not “Copperhead Road”?

Old 12-16-2019, 12:56 PM

26,882 posts, read 38,032,223 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mouldy Old Schmo View Post
Even cultural Catholicism is too much for some in Quebec.
https://cruxnow.com/church-in-the-us...-are-catholic/
We've sort of addressed this in another thread.

Old 12-18-2019, 11:29 AM

9,345 posts, read 4,325,044 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChevySpoons View Post
I would disagree. Merely seeing someone wearing a hijab or a turban is no more "in your face," than wearing a crucifix around your neck or a yarmulke on your head. Now, if such people were accosting you on the street, urging you to convert to their religion--that's "in your face." Merely wearing religious garb while leaving you alone, is not "in your face."

I live in Canada's Bible Belt. We've got plenty of Mormons, Fundamentalists, and Evangelicals; and yet, they know enough not to proselytize to those of us who plainly do not want to hear their message. Therefore, there are no T-shirts, no bumper stickers, and no billboards. The nice, young Mormon men who ring your doorbell, will leave with a "Have a nice day," the minute you say, "No thank you."

We also have our Hindus, and Muslims, and Buddhists; and nobody sees them as "in our faces," because they aren't. Oh, they exist, even here in western Canada, and they are apparent, but they are not shoving their religion down our throats, the way "in your face" would suggest.
I am much more likely to see a Hutterite than a Shilk here in the Hat. Some cars have religious stickers but a vehicle is more likely to have a Riders or even Stamps decal or flag 9r a Flames, Oilers, leafs or Habs one and M9st likely aTigers one.

Where in Alberta are you?

Old 12-18-2019, 11:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lieneke View Post
Ralphie, when he wasn't fishing, was one of those hillbillies who spent his days hanging around dingy downtown bars, pounding back a table full of two-bit draft and making friends. He was such an outstanding drinking buddy that he became Mayor and then Premier. You can take the man out of the hills, but you can't take the hillbilly out of the man.

Still, he was a Christian who visited homeless shelters with a belly full of booze and threw change at the clients.
Was King Ralph a Christian? I remember an I terrier on the radio after he retired where he spoke of spiritual and what he gets from the sweatlodge.

Old 12-18-2019, 02:19 PM

3,624 posts, read 3,411,405 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by badlander View Post
I am much more likely to see a Hutterite than a Shilk here in the Hat. Some cars have religious stickers but a vehicle is more likely to have a Riders or even Stamps decal or flag 9r a Flames, Oilers, leafs or Habs one and M9st likely aTigers one.

Where in Alberta are you?
Yes, good point about the sports teams' decals. They're far more popular on cars and trucks out here, than religious sentiments.

Go Hurricanes! Go Bulls! Hey, I'm in Lethbridge--can you tell?

Old 12-18-2019, 03:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChevySpoons View Post
Yes, good point about the sports teams' decals. They're far more popular on cars and trucks out here, than religious sentiments.

Go Hurricanes! Go Bulls! Hey, I'm in Lethbridge--can you tell?
Not familiar with the Bulls. Pronghorn and Hurricanes yes.

I worked with a guy who had so made brass religious plaques on his Harley that I teased him that he was a traffic hazard due to reflections.

Old 12-18-2019, 03:39 PM

3,624 posts, read 3,411,405 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by badlander View Post
Not familiar with the Bulls.
Western Canadian Baseball League. Medicine Hat has a team in that league too: the Medicine Hat Mavericks.

Old 12-18-2019, 04:43 PM

18,504 posts, read 15,555,283 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mouldy Old Schmo View Post
Do you often come across people wearing shirts with Bible verses or even Bible verse tattoos? How about signs this time of year reading “Jesus Is the Reason for the Season”?
I don't think I have. I'm assuming we are talking specifically about Christians?

There was a " Jesus Saves " sign somewhere here in Vancouver years ago, but it's no longer there. That said, a new one popped up, not very big, and in the burbs I believe. It was noticeable since it's so rare to see that kind of thing here, unless on a church's signboard outside.

Most here would get uncomfortable if in a group at work or at a party, and someone started talking about Jesus. It's just not done in that type of situation.

Not to say people aren't promoting their religion, but more like Jehovah Witnesses. Standing there with booklets etc, and not bothering people. Yelling out, some may think the person is mad.

It so rare, that people in Vancouver still remember a man who used to stand outside of the Hudson's Bay downtown in the 1980's. He had a picture of Jesus, and a crucifix draped over it, which he held above his head.
He would just stand there. No one bothered him, and he bothered no one.

You got my old brain working. I just remembered another iconic Vancouver Jesus guy. He was also well known around town. He would drive this around. Again, as loud as his truck is, I never heard him evangelizing, or never heard anyone complain. People just kind of smiled as he went by.

Last edited by Natnasci; 12-18-2019 at 04:56 PM..

Old 12-18-2019, 05:23 PM

7,363 posts, read 8,405,340 times
Has anyone ever come across the Black isrealites preaching on the streets? I thought they only did that in the US but they have been doing that in Canadian cities now.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada