Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Will the CFL last another 10 years?
Yes, with at least 6 teams. 12 80.00%
No 3 20.00%
Voters: 15. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-31-2019, 02:33 AM

5,152 posts, read 8,527,286 times

Advertisements

Honestly I don't.

You cannot function as a league with only 4 dependable markets as far as interest in the league (The 2 Alberta clubs, Saskatchewan and Winnipeg.

Hamilton may be a 5th dependable market. but after that? Ottawa is a horrible sports town and the Redblacks seem to not draw when they lose (hope I'm wrong but it doesn't look that way). Montreal, certainly only really cares about the Als when they win and Vancouver, same thing. They don't even use the Upper Deck at BC Place anymore. Toronto? It's the most important city in Canada but win or lose, the interest in the Argos is pretty much dead.

The Atlantic Canada team doesn't look like it's happening which it needs to beacuse you really can't have an idle team every weekend. For some reason, Quebec City is very happy with Laval football and no strong desire to have a CFL team, even though I think it could work.

Maybe, unlike up until maybe the 80s the difference in talent between the NFL and the CFL is so huge that even most Canadians may not take it as seriously as they did before.

More exposure thanks to college players who were names in the States, in America helps since CFL games aren't hard to find on American TV, but if (doubtful though) the XFL can have success, that could mean less talent from the CFL to draw on.

I hope I'm wrong but I predict folding or a 6 team league by 2030.

Thoughts?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-01-2020, 09:17 AM

3,973 posts, read 5,769,635 times
The CFL has been around so long I cannot see it disappearing. I think the Canadian League has too much pride to merge with the NFL or fold. Sure, I would support a merger with the NFL but I do not see it happening because of the slightly different rules and the fact that there are much bigger markets down in the U.S. that ex-CFL markets will likely get bullied.

Old 01-01-2020, 07:17 PM

1,433 posts, read 1,509,430 times
Yes, I believe that the CFL will still be with us in ten years.

Old 01-02-2020, 11:50 PM

676 posts, read 647,927 times
Yeah, and it will have 10 teams to boot. I'm not even a CFL fan or watch any of the games, but it's embedded enough in Canadian culture to survive. It's the second most popular league in Canada.

Old 01-05-2020, 01:28 PM

380 posts, read 430,780 times
People have been writing off the CFL for the better part of 30-35 years. Yes it will survive.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada