Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 03-27-2020, 03:39 PM

18,504 posts, read 15,548,466 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by edwardsyzzurphands View Post
People are definitely gathering data on this but no reputable medical professional is going to speculate without real concrete data in place to stand behind. That’s the scary part of this whole thing is that everyone is going into it blind and we really won’t know best practices until the peak has passed. It’s depressing but it’s the truth.

We really only know who did well when it came to testing like South Korea but otherwise it’s a crap shoot. We do also know that South Korea, Switzerland and Germany have performed best with mortality rates so far but it’s purely speculation as to why that is the case. Age, Hospital beds per capita, nurses per capita, diet, etc could be contributing factors but after all that everyone basically says “we don’t really know”
I've just read that there are two known strains at work right now. I wonder if this is the difference?

As for testing, here in BC we are testing faster and more than South Korea per capita. Over 3,500 tests per day, which is 692 tests per million people, whereas in South Korea it was 392 per million. Hoping this massive effort gives some insight to it all.

Old 03-27-2020, 04:04 PM

2,869 posts, read 5,136,033 times
Quote:
We really only know who did well when it came to testing like South Korea but otherwise it’s a crap shoot. We do also know that South Korea, Switzerland and Germany have performed best with mortality rates so far but it’s purely speculation as to why that is the case. Age, Hospital beds per capita, nurses per capita, diet, etc could be contributing factors but after all that everyone basically says “we don’t really know”
I agree 100% and ‘so far’ is really the key phrase there. Actually, Switzerland and Germany really haven’t looked good over the past few days for mortality either.

There’s also the fact that countries differ widely in terms of testing strategies. Essentially all of the countries that look good on mortality right now are countries that tested a lot. Did they test more widely and therefore their confirmed cases include more people who had mild symptoms or were younger? Tough to know.

Old 03-27-2020, 04:17 PM

3,865 posts, read 5,289,162 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Natnasci View Post
I've just read that there are two known strains at work right now. I wonder if this is the difference?

As for testing, here in BC we are testing faster and more than South Korea per capita. Over 3,500 tests per day, which is 692 tests per million people, whereas in South Korea it was 392 per million. Hoping this massive effort gives some insight to it all.
BC is doing well when it comes to testing, but I am sure you understand the difference between comparing one Province to an entire country when it comes to per capita. South Korea is spit into Provinces itself (9 I believe) so drilling down into hot spots and where they have accelerated testing based on the recommended criteria would be a more fruitful comparison.

Testing is the first step, now gathering data is the next step. There are companies and states/provinces engaged in this now and that will end up helping us all in the end. That along with vaccine discovery gives us all hope.

Old 03-27-2020, 04:17 PM

14,735 posts, read 15,028,112 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lieneke View Post
If there's a bunch of crazy virus infected people from NY trying to invade Canada, then the Canadian military will get their guns and shoo them away. Are people in NY crazy enough to flee their country?
Yes they are.

A lot of them are fleeing to Florida. As of last week 20 - 40 thousand (and perhaps more by now) apparently had already fled NY headed for Florida and the governor of Florida had to scramble to get the state set up with check points and whatnot and require them to agree to mandatory isolation. I read about that whole debacle in the ongoing Coronavirus topic in the Current Events forum. I am not talking about the college kids that blatantly invaded Florida beaches for spring break either, I'm talking about residents of New York arriving in droves in many parts of Florida.

If they're crazy enough to risk infecting all the people of Florida and risking the health and lives of the majority high risk senior residents of Florida that make up something like +/- 50% of the state of Florida's overall population then yes, they're crazy and selfish enough to flee their country and risk the health and lives of people in other countries.

God knows what good they think it's going to do them to flee. That's a complete mystery.

Old 03-27-2020, 04:19 PM

7,680 posts, read 5,526,207 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by netwit View Post
Yeah, we don't know. I haven't checked for a few days but at one point most of the people here who were infected came via flights from Vancouver. Whether those flights originated elsewhere I don't know. I don't understand why they don't give more details.
Actually, there are more details at the Manitoba government website.

* Here is the list of flights with confirmed cases to date - listing exact seat numbers: https://www.gov.mb.ca/covid19/flights.html

* If you scroll down this page, you’ll see a breakdown of cases by region: https://www.gov.mb.ca/covid19/index.html

* the province puts out a press bulletin every morning describing new cases or updating info on cases previously reported: https://www.gov.mb.ca/covid19/ (see link to latest Bulletin on that web page)

The ages of those infected in Manitoba has surprised me - younger for the most part than what I expected. For example, 2 days ago there was a jump of 14 cases. That day’s bulletin gave the following details:

Quote:
Case information includes:
• case 23 is a woman in her 30s who lives in Winnipeg,
• case 24 is a girl under the age of 10 who lives in Winnipeg,
• case 25 is a woman in her 40s who lives in Winnipeg,
• case 26 is a man in his 30s who lives in Winnipeg,
• case 27 is a woman in her 60s who lives in Winnipeg,
• case 28 is a woman in her 60s who lives in Winnipeg and receiving treatment in intensive care in hospital,
• case 29 is a man in his 40s who lives in Winnipeg,
• case 30 is a woman in her 30s who lives in a community in the area of the Southern Health Santé Sud health region,
• case 31 is a woman in her 40s who lives in Winnipeg,
• case 32 is a man in his 60s who lives in Winnipeg,
• case 33 is a woman in her 60s who lives in Winnipeg,
• case 34 is a woman in her 50s who lives in community in the area of the Southern Health Santé Sud health region,
• case 35 is a woman in her 20s who lives in Winnipeg, and
• case 36 is an individual who was tested in the Prairie Mountain Health region.
https://news.gov.mb.ca/news/index.html?item=47237

Old 03-27-2020, 04:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by netwit View Post
Yeah, we don't know. I haven't checked for a few days but at one point most of the people here who were infected came via flights from Vancouver. Whether those flights originated elsewhere I don't know. I don't understand why they don't give more details.

Things are definitely not looking normal here. There's far less traffic on the roads, the downtown of a neighbouring town is dead. At least one of my brothers-in-law was laid off. Another one is a teacher and he is still supposed to show up to work because officially school is in progress but the only one there is the janitor. My vet has a closed door policy which means I call them when I show up and someone comes out and takes my dog in. My dog had major surgery planned before this happened. And when I picked her up it was the same way - call when you get here and they brought her out.

I thought that perhaps local people would feel these restrictions were overblown but from creeping around on Facebook it looks like there are only a few yahoos, and they are not from farming families. I think perhaps the years of restrictions on pig and poultry barns in order to stop various diseases have worked to educate a lot of rural families on how important it is to avoid tracking diseases elsewhere.
Thanks for sharing and honestly this **** is just weird in general. Jogging downtown and not seeing anything open is surreal.

Honestly when you mentioned farming families I thought of something I read a few years ago:

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC4504372/

Urban folks think their **** dont stink, but we really can learn alot from rural families when it comes to pandemics.

Old 03-27-2020, 04:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by barneyg View Post
I agree 100% and ‘so far’ is really the key phrase there. Actually, Switzerland and Germany really haven’t looked good over the past few days for mortality either.

There’s also the fact that countries differ widely in terms of testing strategies. Essentially all of the countries that look good on mortality right now are countries that tested a lot. Did they test more widely and therefore their confirmed cases include more people who had mild symptoms or were younger? Tough to know.
Actually you are 100% right. Once everything washes over then you will really see who "lucked" into the right response and who didnt, because honestly that really is what it boils down to.

Old 03-27-2020, 05:30 PM

22,923 posts, read 15,484,713 times
Quote:
Actually you are 100% right. Once everything washes over then you will really see who "lucked" into the right response and who didnt, because honestly that really is what it boils down to.
Sadly, even though we've had some prior warning and the ability to watch other countries go through things like H1N1 and SARS, it really seems as though each one of these has some degree of iniquity to throw a spanner into the works.

I truly hope that some lab somewhere that is already feverishly working for a resolution, be it a vaccine or a medicinal cure comes up with something effective. I could not care less where that comes from.

I'm also hoping that in those inquest days coming at a later date there can be those steps identified that serve to teach us for the future.

Doing some soul searching at the advanced age I'm at now, I realize I'm lucky enough to have made lifelong friends from many foreign countries we've visited over the years. I am less enamoured with declaring who is doing it right or wrong at this time than I am with hoping that it can be seen who is doing something that's working and we can all emulate that for the sake of everybody.

Old 03-27-2020, 10:00 PM

10,147 posts, read 15,041,303 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BruSan View Post
So; Trump's daddy forcing a doctor tenant in one of his rental properties to give his son (the second member of a family with the history of draft dodging, as it happens) a phony bone spur diagnosis while he was still competing in a variety of sports at that sissified military college is okei-dokie with you. eh?

I once knew many of those "cowards" and "lazy dodgers" and to a man, every one of them were working and contributing while paying taxes, totally unlike your lying president having spent his entire life avoiding any responsibility for anything and everything..

You ignored the fact that Canada was not aggressively going after them to avoid creating a diplomatic uproar. You also ignored the stated fact that Canada didn't even have a systematic method of tracking them at the time as there was little interest, so the 54 represent nothing close to the reality of the situation.

You failed to address the Americans in the hundreds of thousands fraudulently obtaining Canadian healthcare for decades. Whattasmattah; numbers only work for you when your bias is satisfied?

I refer back to my previous post about an American presuming to lecture any Canadian about ethics.

You're still mildly amusing.
So, you believe you know all about military colleges in America, and you think they are "sissified". Interesting, for a person from a country that barely has a military. I have no idea what sort of college you attended, but if you want to return to reality, please post the sorts of rigorous requirements they have compared with American military colleges. It would be very interesting to see that.

It's great that once our lazy no account slackers went to Canada they suddenly transformed "to a man" and they were working and paying taxes. Something tells me that they finally had little choice for a change, but be that as it may they made wonderful Canadians, and who can argue with the value in that?

Canada didn't go after those 54 interlopers to avoid a diplomatic uproar? Oh, I get it. We have 100,000 illegal thousand Canadians (according to your national media), but Canada doesn't go after 54 Americans for diplomacy. Go figure.

I have no idea about the Americans you claim go to Canada on the side for free healthcare. If your system allows that to happen, there must be a flaw in it someplace. I didn't even know Canada got healthcare for free. I thought you had to pay a monthly fee for your single payer system.

Old 03-27-2020, 10:55 PM

6,202 posts, read 11,449,309 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoisite View Post
A lot of them are fleeing to Florida. As of last week 20 - 40 thousand (and perhaps more by now) apparently had already fled NY headed for Florida and the governor of Florida had to scramble to get the state set up with check points and whatnot and require them to agree to mandatory isolation. I read about that whole debacle in the ongoing Coronavirus topic in the Current Events forum. I am not talking about the college kids that blatantly invaded Florida beaches for spring break either, I'm talking about residents of New York arriving in droves in many parts of Florida.
Now that Florida is just as infested as the Northeast and West Coast, NYers are starting to consider fleeing here to Texas. If not for the nationalist Republican state government, Texas would have closed the borders and start the secession process rather than becoming the next "hot spot" through an open border by Americans from a city far away. Nothing like this has been seen since the Fall of Rome!

Also I warned you a few years ago about Don the Con pulling a fast one on Canada. Once this crisis is over, Canada gets invaded to unify the U.S. to back his second presidential term.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada