Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-01-2008, 02:16 PM

9,589 posts, read 27,806,022 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by violetvale View Post
This is exactly what we are seeing here in the Northeast US. I was hoping that it might be better in Canada, that they may be more insulated from this phenomenon. Guess not.
You can say that again!

Today I just heard some statistics on what the average Canadian's annual income is... just over $41,000 which is $1 per week more than our average in 1980.

I also heard that in 1980, new immigrants to Canada used to make 85% of what Canadian-born people made. It is now down to 63% for immigrant men and 54% for immigrant women.

If that's not factoring in inflation, that sounds absolutely horrible to me, since items like cars cost 3 times what they did back in 1980.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-02-2008, 03:06 PM

9,589 posts, read 27,806,022 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ColdCanadian View Post
You can say that again!

Today I just heard some statistics on what the average Canadian's annual income is... just over $41,000 which is $1 per week more than our average in 1980.

I also heard that in 1980, new immigrants to Canada used to make 85% of what Canadian-born people made. It is now down to 63% for immigrant men and 54% for immigrant women.

If that's not factoring in inflation, that sounds absolutely horrible to me, since items like cars cost 3 times what they did back in 1980.
Okay, the radio failed to mention that the average income in 1980 was converted into "2005-dollars".

Old 05-05-2008, 07:13 PM

315 posts, read 1,088,207 times
Don't know where the stats came from, but we are from Canada and we make well over $200,000 a year as well as most other prople. And that is the median, not the highest.

Old 05-05-2008, 08:08 PM

1,574 posts, read 5,117,182 times
no doubt more economic disparity in the US than Canada. The wealthiest Canadians are not at the same level as the wealthiest Americans, or at least they do not flaunt their wealth in the same way. Likewise, the most economically downtrodden Canadians are not as economically low as the most poor of Americans. True, comparing a society of 30 million against 300 million is not completely reasonable.

Old 05-09-2008, 08:07 AM

3,046 posts, read 2,383,897 times
I can't speak for canada but how can you not have lower class citizens in america when the minimum wage has been in the $5 range for the last 20 years? This actually drives down the salary of alot of middle class jobs. Maybe this explains why there is so much crime in America.

Old 06-20-2008, 07:52 PM

315 posts, read 1,088,207 times
The minimum wage is $5.00 in the u.s.??? Holy cow, no wonder there are poor people. We don't have anyone earning less than $10.00 out here, if a company tries to go lower the employees quit.

Old 06-20-2008, 11:38 PM

935 posts, read 2,411,438 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zoran View Post
The minimum wage is $5.00 in the u.s.??? Holy cow, no wonder there are poor people. We don't have anyone earning less than $10.00 out here, if a company tries to go lower the employees quit.
I was in Toronto in late March-Early April when there were protestors about minimum wage being raised only 25 cents or something. I can't remember the exact story, but some woman from a labor lobbyist party was talking to reporters about a strike/protest going on b/c they though making $10 an hour wasn't a good minimum wage. I looked shocked and said to my friend, "You know, maybe I should go down there and tell them that in America we only make about $5.50 an hour minimum wage." It's higher now and it's not just based on federal but also states as well. It should be going up to above or around $7.25 by 2009 supposedly. But some of the southern states are taking their sweet time with it.

I don't think that $5.50 or even $7.25 an hour is a fair wage with inflation and the fact that the government gives itself more tax raises than its own citizens. And in comparison to some third world countries we are doing pretty well, but yeah $10 an hour here is something to strive for in this little town I currently reside in.

Old 06-22-2008, 07:19 AM

136 posts, read 894,087 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zoran View Post
Don't know where the stats came from, but we are from Canada and we make well over $200,000 a year as well as most other prople. And that is the median, not the highest.
"as well as most other people"???

Where do you live? Take off your rose coloured glasses my dear. The average family income in Canada is well under 100,000 a year.

In 2007, the average Canadian family earned $66,496
The Fraser Institute -- News Releases -- Total tax bill for average Canadian family has increased by more than 1,700 per cent since 1961

Old 06-22-2008, 10:31 AM

3,046 posts, read 2,383,897 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kattwoman2 View Post
I was in Toronto in late March-Early April when there were protestors about minimum wage being raised only 25 cents or something. I can't remember the exact story, but some woman from a labor lobbyist party was talking to reporters about a strike/protest going on b/c they though making $10 an hour wasn't a good minimum wage. I looked shocked and said to my friend, "You know, maybe I should go down there and tell them that in America we only make about $5.50 an hour minimum wage." It's higher now and it's not just based on federal but also states as well. It should be going up to above or around $7.25 by 2009 supposedly. But some of the southern states are taking their sweet time with it.

I don't think that $5.50 or even $7.25 an hour is a fair wage with inflation and the fact that the government gives itself more tax raises than its own citizens. And in comparison to some third world countries we are doing pretty well, but yeah $10 an hour here is something to strive for in this little town I currently reside in.
America beats all third world countries in minimum wage! Yah!

Old 06-22-2008, 04:24 PM

16,259 posts, read 24,761,129 times
Things in Canada are no better for the working people as far as income and living standards go. My wife is from there and she will tell you that. Housing is very expensive in Canada as are utility bills, cars and other necessities of life. Toronto is like NYC or Chicago in cost of living. The only saving grace there is that you do not have to worry about paying for heath care and they have a better safety net should your job dissappear and you fall on hard times.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada