Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-03-2020, 10:31 PM

14,735 posts, read 15,011,327 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by netwit View Post
So who feels comfortable with the restrictions easing tomorrow? Is anyone planning on changing what they've been doing? I did do one new thing, which was to make an appointment with my hairdresser but can't get on until the 12th. So that gives me some time to see where this will go here.

Here in BC we have to wait another week before we will even find out what kinds of restrictions will be easing. Anyway, whatever they decide, I'm not feeling comfortable about easing up much for at least another 2 or 3 months so I don't think I will be changing much of what I've already been doing (mostly just daily gardening), except for 3 things.

First, if permitted I want to go to the hospice center where my sister is on her death bed. I mentioned about her before, some time in February. I haven't been able to visit her for nearly 8 weeks (maybe it's longer or less?, I find I'm losing track of the passage of time since all this virus stuff started) and not being able to visit has been weighing heavily on me and all the rest of her family too. So I really want to go see her and be with her, I don't think she can have much time left to her now. I'm actually surprised she's made it this long.

The second thing is I owe my son a proper birthday dinner at Paliotti's Restaurant for his 52nd birthday which was at the beginning of April and we've been eagerly waiting for when the restaurant will open again. They have been serving take-out meals but that's just not the same as a full course sit down dinner in the restaurant and all the fantastic service we get there. It's one of our family's very most favourite restaurants, the food is fantastic and definitely worth waiting for them to open.

And the third thing is that I bought a car at the beginning of February, after 7 years of having no car, and the car has been sitting parked all this time. Except for when I take it out once a week for 20 or 30 minutes of driving to let it recharge the battery and just generally keep it in running condition. Plus that's when I've been doing my weekly essentials shopping, but that doesn't count as going for a proper drive. So I fully intend to take the car out for a really long day trip of driving, maybe even a weekend trip, as soon as possible.

As to easing of restrictions here, Dr. Bonnie Henry has been a good and trusted, well informed medical advisor to the province and she says we must go very slow and easy, step by step, week by week on gradually opening things up again so that's what the province will be doing. Everybody here really likes and respects Dr. Henry - some guys even made up a song about her and posted it on youtube. If it looks like there may be problems from going into it headlong we will be right back into restriction mode again lickety split and nobody here wants that, so we're doing it her way. Kids are not going back to school until September, that is one thing we know for sure.

https://www.theglobeandmail.com/cana...ares-to-begin/

https://www.theprogress.com/news/und...-methodically/

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-04-2020, 02:27 AM

3,624 posts, read 3,405,054 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoisite View Post
Here in BC we have to wait another week before we will even find out what kinds of restrictions will be easing....
Things here in Alberta are progressing slowly and carefully. My neighbour played golf yesterday, but had to phone in his credit card to pay the green fee, and could not get beer at the course or from the clubhouse. But he could play golf, and he was a happy guy.

As for me, my sanity was saved yesterday, when I got the chance to meet up with the other regulars from our local sports bar. It was a beautiful spring day, and one of the regulars decided to hold an afternoon meetup with the others, and so, we met in his back yard. No more than six or seven of us, and we were all appropriately spaced at least six feet apart in a rough circle, but we could still trade barbs and BS like we always did, maybe just in a louder voice to carry the distance. No handshakes or high-fives, of course. It was BYOB, and bring your own lawn chair, but it was something I desperately needed.

How I've missed laughing and joking with my friends in person! I hope we can do it on a weekly basis, until our sports bar opens again.

Old 05-04-2020, 09:10 PM

7,308 posts, read 9,314,019 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoisite View Post
Here in BC we have to wait another week before we will even find out what kinds of restrictions will be easing. Anyway, whatever they decide, I'm not feeling comfortable about easing up much for at least another 2 or 3 months so I don't think I will be changing much of what I've already been doing (mostly just daily gardening), except for 3 things.

First, if permitted I want to go to the hospice center where my sister is on her death bed. I mentioned about her before, some time in February. I haven't been able to visit her for nearly 8 weeks (maybe it's longer or less?, I find I'm losing track of the passage of time since all this virus stuff started) and not being able to visit has been weighing heavily on me and all the rest of her family too. So I really want to go see her and be with her, I don't think she can have much time left to her now. I'm actually surprised she's made it this long.

The second thing is I owe my son a proper birthday dinner at Paliotti's Restaurant for his 52nd birthday which was at the beginning of April and we've been eagerly waiting for when the restaurant will open again. They have been serving take-out meals but that's just not the same as a full course sit down dinner in the restaurant and all the fantastic service we get there. It's one of our family's very most favourite restaurants, the food is fantastic and definitely worth waiting for them to open.

And the third thing is that I bought a car at the beginning of February, after 7 years of having no car, and the car has been sitting parked all this time. Except for when I take it out once a week for 20 or 30 minutes of driving to let it recharge the battery and just generally keep it in running condition. Plus that's when I've been doing my weekly essentials shopping, but that doesn't count as going for a proper drive. So I fully intend to take the car out for a really long day trip of driving, maybe even a weekend trip, as soon as possible.

As to easing of restrictions here, Dr. Bonnie Henry has been a good and trusted, well informed medical advisor to the province and she says we must go very slow and easy, step by step, week by week on gradually opening things up again so that's what the province will be doing. Everybody here really likes and respects Dr. Henry - some guys even made up a song about her and posted it on youtube. If it looks like there may be problems from going into it headlong we will be right back into restriction mode again lickety split and nobody here wants that, so we're doing it her way. Kids are not going back to school until September, that is one thing we know for sure.

https://www.theglobeandmail.com/cana...ares-to-begin/

https://www.theprogress.com/news/und...-methodically/

I wish your sister well. And I'm sure you and your son will have fun making up for lost time.

A new car after so long certainly deserves to be taken for a long ride!

Old 05-04-2020, 09:25 PM

7,308 posts, read 9,314,019 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChevySpoons View Post
Things here in Alberta are progressing slowly and carefully. My neighbour played golf yesterday, but had to phone in his credit card to pay the green fee, and could not get beer at the course or from the clubhouse. But he could play golf, and he was a happy guy.

As for me, my sanity was saved yesterday, when I got the chance to meet up with the other regulars from our local sports bar. It was a beautiful spring day, and one of the regulars decided to hold an afternoon meetup with the others, and so, we met in his back yard. No more than six or seven of us, and we were all appropriately spaced at least six feet apart in a rough circle, but we could still trade barbs and BS like we always did, maybe just in a louder voice to carry the distance. No handshakes or high-fives, of course. It was BYOB, and bring your own lawn chair, but it was something I desperately needed.

How I've missed laughing and joking with my friends in person! I hope we can do it on a weekly basis, until our sports bar opens again.
I'm so glad you were able to share some laughs with your friends! We usually have a lot of gatherings in my family but we're still limited to no more than 10 people gathering so if we are going to have any family gatherings, we'll have to decide whether it's us kids without spouses or the spouses without the rest of us. Counting grandchildren I think we're closing in on 40 people.

I was a little nervous on this first day of businesses being allowed to open but was reassured by the businesses being equally nervous and unsure. It made me feel more confident that they would enforce social distancing.

Manitoba's numbers have been at 0 for a couple of days, interspersed with 1s and 4s. However I do fear a second wave coming.

Old 05-05-2020, 02:24 AM

2,290 posts, read 1,511,895 times
It is interesting how the regulations vary around the world, and even within countries and I am sure it will provide the scope of many books, studies and doctorate theses for many years.

In Sydney we can go to the hairdresser, play golf in twos, shop anywhere that is open, surf but not sit on the beach. Children are partly back at school but the bulk are still at home. I have been driving across the city this week to my daughter’s house to supervise her five year old with his online learning. Poor kid had to do a news presentation online today. The traffic is building up day by day and is now what we call holiday traffic, the level normal during school vacations. The buses, trains and light rail are still running near empty and I suspect the drivers will not be too thrilled when passengers return.

Today it is announced that the senior’s times at the supermarkets are finished as the supermarkets are almost back to normal. They are negotiating hard to get some professional sport up and running.

But we still cannot visit our family or friends more than two at a time, sit on a park bench, or have our coffee in a cafe. The queues for takeaway coffee are so long, especially as people are two metres apart.

Of course we can not plan an overseas visit any time soon.

Old 05-05-2020, 06:21 AM

5,428 posts, read 3,491,500 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarisaAnna View Post
It is interesting how the regulations vary around the world, and even within countries and I am sure it will provide the scope of many books, studies and doctorate theses for many years.

In Sydney we can go to the hairdresser, play golf in twos, shop anywhere that is open, surf but not sit on the beach. Children are partly back at school but the bulk are still at home. I have been driving across the city this week to my daughter’s house to supervise her five year old with his online learning. Poor kid had to do a news presentation online today. The traffic is building up day by day and is now what we call holiday traffic, the level normal during school vacations. The buses, trains and light rail are still running near empty and I suspect the drivers will not be too thrilled when passengers return.

Today it is announced that the senior’s times at the supermarkets are finished as the supermarkets are almost back to normal. They are negotiating hard to get some professional sport up and running.

But we still cannot visit our family or friends more than two at a time, sit on a park bench, or have our coffee in a cafe. The queues for takeaway coffee are so long, especially as people are two metres apart.

If everything goes according to plan, I think certain restrictions might be lifted in Australia on the 8th. There have been remarkably few new cases over the past few weeks.

Old 05-05-2020, 12:47 PM

7,363 posts, read 8,394,325 times
Edit

Old 05-05-2020, 03:38 PM

18,504 posts, read 15,536,880 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarisaAnna View Post

It is interesting. Here in BC restaurants, bars, barbers/hairdresser, nail salons, practically everything that has one person close to another to do their job is closed. Senior homes are off limits to visitors still.

We can go to the beach, but not in groups and must self distance. Schools are still closed, and I believe won't open until the next term.

The BC government is going to ease some restrictions next week I believe. I'm not sure exactly what those will be.

Old 05-07-2020, 06:49 AM

22,923 posts, read 15,477,951 times
Efforts are being made to battle this on all fronts:

https://www.msn.com/en-ca/news/canad...jW2?li=AAggFp5

Hopefully, as we emerge out of self isolation and workers return to their jobs, there will be a corresponding level increase of effective treatments to handle what is almost guaranteed to be more cases coming from the increasing social interaction.

Old 05-07-2020, 09:45 AM

18,504 posts, read 15,536,880 times
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada