Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-19-2021, 04:49 PM

14,394 posts, read 11,078,597 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Natnasci View Post
Florida 22.2 million

Canada 38 million

Closer to California than Florida.
I bet during snowbird season it’s closer
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-19-2021, 06:07 PM

18,492 posts, read 15,334,343 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by markjames68 View Post
I bet during snowbird season it’s closer
According to this article, about 500,000 Canadian snowbirds go to Florida.

https://www.tampabay.com/news/busine...for-tampa-bay/

3.5 million Canadians visit Florida each year.

Florida is missing a lot of tourism money without us. "Canadian tourists spend $6.5 billion in the state every year.”

I've never been to Florida, and it really is more of a Quebec/Ontario thing. Out here if people are snowbirds it will be places like Palm Springs, and parts of Arizona.

Mexico, especially PV is also very popular. I know people who have moved there full time, some who stay around 4 to 5 months.

Old 04-19-2021, 07:41 PM

14,633 posts, read 14,720,940 times
I'm thinking not many Canadian snowbirds went to any of those places this past winter.

Old 04-19-2021, 08:33 PM

18,492 posts, read 15,334,343 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoisite View Post
I'm thinking not many Canadian snowbirds went to any of those places this past winter.

Agreed, but the few that did , the media picked it up, and made is sound like thousands upon thousands did.

Old 04-19-2021, 10:42 PM

6,269 posts, read 6,920,576 times
Quote:

I am not so sure. I have a friend in Phoenix and he noticed NO CHANGE in the number of Canadians.

The US was open to Canadian travelers all winter. There was even a "loophole" that allowed Canadians to drive their RV's past the border.

It was coming back to Canada that was an issue for Canadians.

Old 04-20-2021, 07:49 AM

87,949 posts, read 83,773,798 times
Quote:

Anecdotal, of course, but the usual snowbirders where I stay in Ontario stayed put all winter. As a matter of fact, I'd never seen the area so busy in winter. People from the GTA with summer cottages turned them into year-round homes, packed up their kids and enrolled them in the local schools (where of course they learned remotely anyway because ON went on shutdown after Boxing Day).

When out walking, I met other walkers who were working remotely from up there and staying at their second homes.

In February of 2020, my S.O. left me at the house for the weekend while he visited his sons. I stepped outside one night to look at the stars. I could see one lone light on a house on the other side of the bay. There was no one but me on my side, no other light anywhere, no sound. It was eerie and wonderful.

This year, if I stepped out at night I heard the constant drone of skidoos, even when I couldn't see their headlights as they zipped across the lake. I could see the neighbours' TVs through the window, because they weren't in Florida this year, and if I walked to the edge of the lake, I could see light from numerous houses along the shoreline bouncing off the snow and hear kids laughing, dogs barking, etc. Very different.

Old 04-20-2021, 08:33 AM

7,363 posts, read 8,297,910 times
Quote:
Amid surging cases and 'double mutant' variant, flights from India touch down in Canada
India’s Ministry of Health and Welfare reports there are currently 1.9 million active cases of COVID-19 in the country

https://nationalpost.com/news/amid-s...down-in-canada

Old 04-20-2021, 01:01 PM

2,895 posts, read 5,104,185 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 509 View Post
I am not so sure. I have a friend in Phoenix and he noticed NO CHANGE in the number of Canadians.

The US was open to Canadian travelers all winter. There was even a "loophole" that allowed Canadians to drive their RV's past the border.

It was coming back to Canada that was an issue for Canadians.
Maybe Phoenix is this big anomaly where the number of snowbirds did not decline, but I doubt it.

https://www.trade.gov/sites/default/...%20Line_0.xlsx

These stats show that the number of arrivals to the US made by Canadians declined by over 95% during all months after the 1st quarter. In a normal year, 1,600,000 Canadians cross the border in October, and 1,500,000 in November. In 2020? 64,166 in October, 73,826 in November. Maybe all snowbirds going to Phoenix still crossed!

Old 04-20-2021, 01:08 PM

7,639 posts, read 5,409,489 times
Well, this is nice to read:

Quote:
North Dakota will administer COVID-19 vaccinations to Manitoba-based truck drivers transporting goods to and from the United States. This is the first such program between a Canadian and American jurisdiction.
Quote:
“With adequate vaccine supplies and all North Dakotans having access to vaccine while Canada is dealing with a vaccine shortage, we want to do our part to ensure essential workers from Canada who are frequently travelling through our state are vaccinated. The timely and effective administration of vaccines is essential for public health and the eventual safe reopening of our shared border.”
Quote:
It is estimated roughly 2,000 to 4,000 Manitoba drivers will take part in this program.
Quote:
The state and province are establishing a joint-operations group to manage the initiative. The North Dakota Department of Health will provide nurses and other staff to administer the first and second doses of the vaccine to provide full immunization of truckers. There is no cost to the state or province as the U.S. government supplies the vaccine and reimburses the costs to administer.
https://news.gov.mb.ca/news/index.ht...ted=2021-04-20

Old 04-20-2021, 02:20 PM

14,394 posts, read 11,078,597 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cdnirene View Post
That’s great news and actually sensible. Hopefully that will spread to other states.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada