Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-02-2020, 08:23 AM

293 posts, read 245,468 times

Advertisements

Glad to live in a country where the government offers more than thoughts and prayers.

This is what happens when insecure wackos get to keep their toys.

Yesterday in Michigan's Capitol Hill.

Old 05-02-2020, 08:50 AM

13,511 posts, read 19,270,967 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CRAROD View Post
Glad to live in a country where the government offers more than thoughts and prayers.

and the ones who aren't "wakos" will be the only ones left without!

Old 05-02-2020, 09:00 AM

274 posts, read 173,030 times
Quote:

Criminals in pure essence will not listen to laws, look at Mexico, they have some of the STRICTEST gun laws in the world, yet their homicide rate is going up at a STAGGERING rate still, murders with firearms are going up, not down, and guess who their neighbor and main exporter of illegal guns is? The United States. Guess who's are main exporter of Canada's illegal guns, our neighbor, the USA. Any law we make for this is meaningless since all our problems are coming from beyond our border.

34,608 murders recorded in 2019 for Mexico, the highest number since 1997. Does that look like progress to you? This is how crime has been with one of the strictest gun law countries in the world. This will truly not make anyone safer in Canada, we have a consistent flow of firearms that are being imported from the US daily, literally most crime with a firearm, especially in cities such Toronto are all with ILLEGAL weapons, they aren't registered, have the serial code scratched out. The problem isn't with legal gun owners I assure you, it's with people are already violent, who will stay violent regardless of laws.

The Nova Scotia shooter had a illegal gun from the US, having legal guns only takes away our protection, do you really think the police can save someone if someones breaking in and the average response time of 911 is something like 8 minutes, not happening, unless you live extremely close to a police station.

There is a solution rising gun violence in urban centers, crackdown on border crossings, do more checks, spend more money and create a plan to seize as many illegal firearms as they can. Banning guns may make you feel more safe, but I doubt in many scenarios it will actually do so, maybe the contrary.

Old 05-02-2020, 09:15 AM

293 posts, read 245,468 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scarbroo View Post
Criminals in pure essence will not listen to laws, look at Mexico, they have some of the STRICTEST gun laws in the world, yet their homicide rate is going up at a STAGGERING rate still, murders with firearms are going up, not down, and guess who their neighbor and main exporter of illegal guns is? The United States. Guess who's are main exporter of Canada's illegal guns, our neighbor, the USA. Any law we make for this is meaningless since all our problems are coming from beyond our border.

34,608 murders recorded in 2019 for Mexico, the highest number since 1997. Does that look like progress to you? This is how crime has been with one of the strictest gun law countries in the world. This will truly not make anyone safer in Canada, we have a consistent flow of firearms that are being imported from the US daily, literally most crime with a firearm, especially in cities such Toronto are all with ILLEGAL weapons, they aren't registered, have the serial code scratched out. The problem isn't with legal gun owners I assure you, it's with people are already violent, who will stay violent regardless of laws.

The Nova Scotia shooter had a illegal gun from the US, having legal guns only takes away our protection, do you really think the police can save someone if someones breaking in and the average response time of 911 is something like 8 minutes, not happening, unless you live extremely close to a police station.

There is a solution rising gun violence in urban centers, crackdown on border crossings, do more checks, spend more money and create a plan to seize as many illegal firearms as they can. Banning guns may make you feel more safe, but I doubt in many scenarios it will actually do so, maybe the contrary.
Mexico's situation is completely different from Canada and you know it.

Most of Mexico's deaths are related to the drug cartel war they've been having for several decades now, we do not have that in Canada.

You gun lovers come up with the most ridiculous arguments.

Old 05-02-2020, 10:18 AM

7,306 posts, read 9,314,019 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scarbroo View Post
I agree, if they think criminals will listen to the law, the're in for a nasty surprise.
Most of Canada's murders are with ILLEGAL firearms from the USA. This has been the real issue, we're a massive importer of illegal firearms which only a small percentage are found.

If anything, the only thing taking away these "assault rifes" (who changed the definition?) will do is ensure legal gun owners that they don't have any means to defend them self. Even better they will probably go to prison for defending their life in Canada.
It's ridiculous to think Canadian gun owners think in terms of self defense when it comes to guns. Anyone who thinks in those terms definitely shouldn't have a gun of any kind.

And the amount of gun smuggling is not going to rise because of a ban on certain weapons. Gun smuggling is and always will be related to criminals. There aren't that many people just dying to have those particular weapons. Where would they target shoot with them? Which friend would they trust enough to show them off to?

I don't care that those guns are banned but it's a pity their banning is linked to the Nova Scotia shooter who had an illegal weapon from the US. I wish he hadn't done that because a ban would have done nothing to stop that guy.

Last edited by netwit; 05-02-2020 at 10:34 AM..

Old 05-02-2020, 10:21 AM

7,306 posts, read 9,314,019 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hrw-500 View Post
Exactly, even if we get rids of guns, there's still knives...
And just how many people will a semi automatic kill in, oh, let's say five minutes versus a knife?

Old 05-02-2020, 11:12 AM

482 posts, read 418,692 times
Quote:

Since your nation has suckled at the teet of HRM for eons, you'd have no concept as to what it means to stand up in the face of tyranny.

Old 05-02-2020, 11:19 AM

7,363 posts, read 8,394,325 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnathon Hills View Post
Since your nation has suckled at the teet of HRM for eons, you'd have no concept as to what it means to stand up in the face of tyranny.
And that's a blessing.

Old 05-02-2020, 11:28 AM

3,950 posts, read 3,296,851 times
I love how many if the antis frame the debate...first they call gun owners and collectors "gun nuts" putting already a negative spin to the fact of collecting firearms, we are all potential criminals, killers we are "weird" we are pariah, we are to be isolated ....we do not use the terms "car nuts" or "video games nuts" with that connotation.

While I would never open carry myself or put a rifle on a pick up rack, the antis do not realize that the vast majority of the "whackos" you see carrying a firearm with an American Flag on their back have spotless criminal records, not even a driving record. You may not like (I do not care) the way they dress, the way they think but if the focus of the discussion is (and it should be) not having innocent people die, any other considerations about what you like and what lifestyle you deem acceptable should not matter.

You only need a couple of neurons in your head to realize that the "ban" will not save lives, especially in a country like Canada where mass shooting are a;ready extremely rare occurrences.

Total firearm prohibition is and it has always been the eventual goal and the proponents are not worried about saving lives, they do not care about crime statistics in free fall, they do not give a hoot about that, confiscation is the goal, firearm ownership is simply not considered "acceptable" in the "perfect society" many of these people envision...I suggest the vision of the George Lucas's movie THX 1138 with the great Robert Duvall.

I can think in a couple of minutes of many ways to kill a lot of people very quickly that do not involve firearms...and these mass murderers are in the vast majority of cases, cold calculating killing machines that planned their action for a very long time, they are resourceful and they are creative.....I do not recall mass killings of this magnitude as spur of the moment, impulsive acts.

Last edited by saturno_v; 05-02-2020 at 11:40 AM..

Old 05-02-2020, 11:34 AM

3,950 posts, read 3,296,851 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by netwit View Post
And just how many people will a semi automatic kill in, oh, let's say five minutes versus a knife?
A single attacker killed 19 people with a knife in Japan.

Again, antis do not give a hoot about saving lives.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada