Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-11-2008, 12:28 PM

19 posts, read 63,908 times

Advertisements

hey

I will be moving to winnipeg in a couple of months

What should I know
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-11-2008, 02:38 PM

1,048 posts, read 6,449,125 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Buggsbunnie2006 View Post
What should I know
You should know that in order to get better answers, you should be more specific with your questions.

What do you want to know?

What do you already know?

We know nothing about you, or any context to your move - it's hard to give you any useful information without at least knowing that.

Old 01-14-2008, 06:10 PM

10 posts, read 51,966 times
You'll need to know that you are moving to the murder capital of Canada, one of the coldest major cities in the world, we pay the highest property taxes in Canada, the infrastructure is crumbling, and make sure you keep your eye on your car because we are also the car theft capital of North America! YES, NORTH AMERICA!!

Welcome to Winnipeg!!

Old 01-15-2008, 08:45 AM

9,019 posts, read 14,315,098 times
And Winnipeggers consume the greatest amount of Slurpees in the world per capita.

Don't forget to tie down your children and small dogs in the summer so the mosquitos don't carry them away.

Old 01-16-2008, 06:35 AM

3,728 posts, read 4,876,342 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Buggsbunnie2006 View Post
hey

I will be moving to winnipeg in a couple of months

What should I know
Well, where are you from originally?

What are you expecting?

Why are you moving to Winnipeg?

These things will determine your opinion of the city,

Old 01-20-2008, 04:51 PM

2,507 posts, read 8,572,640 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kbrucki View Post
You'll need to know that you are moving to the murder capital of Canada, one of the coldest major cities in the world, we pay the highest property taxes in Canada, the infrastructure is crumbling, and make sure you keep your eye on your car because we are also the car theft capital of North America! YES, NORTH AMERICA!!

Welcome to Winnipeg!!
That is a load of bull. Cold, yes. Taxed, Maybe. The car theft capital of North America, no way. Vancouver likes to steal them, so does Los Angeles and any city along the Mexican border. Winnipeg, no.
I suppose it depends on where this person is coming from. Winnipeg is nice for its accessibility. It is big enough to have things, and small enough so that it isn't overwhelming. There are some lovely areas. Downtown seemed nice when I was there. I can't say about living there, but hopefully the rest of Winnipeg thinks more highly of itself than you do. The one thing I don't like about Winnipeg is how isolated it is from anything else. It isn't the best city; but one could do alot worse.

Old 01-21-2008, 04:35 AM

215 posts, read 1,661,224 times
Winnipeg is cold!
no, I mean cold!!
Think of it being really cold.
Now think that someone tells you that your not thinking cold enough.
It's colder then that! If you are brining your own car, get a block heater, you'll need it.

If you plan to drive, I've been told Winnipeg is easy on drivers.

Know that Winnipeg (city limits) holds more then half the population of Manitoba (the province it is in)

Be aware of the Political-Geography. It's often been said (and seen on election-result maps) that you can draw a line, horizontal, though winnipeg that extends though the whole province. North of the line is social-democratic NDP territory, while south of it is the Conservative area. Elections are lost and won by winning the seats located on the line. Northern winnipeg is a far different beast then Southern winnipeg.

Old 01-21-2008, 05:02 AM

4,818 posts, read 11,018,230 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Minnehahapolitan View Post
That is a load of bull. Cold, yes. Taxed, Maybe. The car theft capital of North America, no way. Vancouver likes to steal them, so does Los Angeles and any city along the Mexican border. Winnipeg, no.
I suppose it depends on where this person is coming from. Winnipeg is nice for its accessibility. It is big enough to have things, and small enough so that it isn't overwhelming. There are some lovely areas. Downtown seemed nice when I was there. I can't say about living there, but hopefully the rest of Winnipeg thinks more highly of itself than you do. The one thing I don't like about Winnipeg is how isolated it is from anything else. It isn't the best city; but one could do alot worse.
Alas....but its true about car thefts in winnipeg. Winnipeg has been known as the car theft capital of canada for several years.... now I am not quite sure about leader of all of North America....but for canada....Winnipeg is bad much higher than Vancouver and Toronto.

Also interestingly....on a per capita basis regina...saskatoon and winnipeg have the highest rates of all crime. Edmonton and Saskatoon have been among the tops in murders....again per capita. Toronto still claims the highest in numbers.

I have been to Winnipeg myself several times and always felt ok. Very nice area around the forks.

Dan

Old 01-29-2008, 06:49 AM

10 posts, read 51,966 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Minnehahapolitan View Post
I suppose it depends on where this person is coming from.
It's actually a stat from Statistics Canada that we are the car theft capital of North America!! It isn't something I made up.

But on a positive note, Winnipeg is the cheapest city in Canada to own a home. There are some nice areas, it's not all ugly, but the crime is out of control in mainly the core area, we are way over taxed, and the city is run with short term, small time thinkers. To change the direction of our city, we need to start thinking growth. The city administration is all about the here and now.

Old 01-29-2008, 07:40 AM

741 posts, read 2,782,955 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kbrucki View Post
The city is run with short term, small time thinkers. To change the direction of our city, we need to start thinking growth. The city administration is all about the here and now.
This couldn't be more true, the people who run the province and city lack VISION and LEADERSHIP. Which is why they can't keep the young people who move away elsewhere.

As for the car problems, it's a problem, it consists of nothing but bored teenagers ripping off a parked car to go joyride. One thing you won't find in Winnipeg is carjacking.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada