Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-18-2020, 10:00 AM

7,363 posts, read 8,401,569 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by cdnirene View Post
What’s interesting about that is according to the WFP daily Coronavirus email I just read: “seven of Manitoba’s most recent eight cases are linked to the trucking industry.”
Interesting. If I remember correctly there was a cluster of cases in Brandon a few weeks ago that were also related to a trucking company. At least a dozen or so people were infected.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-18-2020, 12:08 PM

7,363 posts, read 8,401,569 times
And another two cases today.

Old 06-18-2020, 12:20 PM

14,735 posts, read 15,028,112 times
So does anybody know - is it the truckers themselves that are carrying the virus, or is the virus being transported on the trucks and/or cargo? Are the trucks and cargo being disinfected prior to entering the country?

Old 06-18-2020, 01:18 PM

3,973 posts, read 5,768,214 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoisite View Post
So does anybody know - is it the truckers themselves that are carrying the virus, or is the virus being transported on the trucks and/or cargo? Are the trucks and cargo being disinfected prior to entering the country?

Not to gang up on the trucking industry and I do not know if Canada faces the same problems but as far as I know, the trucking industry in the U.S. is a nasty industry to work in. I was a transportation planner in my previous job and I did research on the industry including time off, amenities such as truck stops, and pay. What I discovered was really alarming. Truckers were often considered only contractors such as the gig workers like Uber and Lyft. They owned their own trucks and paid to get work which meant in order to stay profitable, they often worked long hours to double the amount of trips they could make. There is no paid time off, be it sick or vacation, and health insurance is out of the pocket too. If lucky they could find a truck stop to rest in and truck stops can range from decent to really filthy with the vast majority of them being crowded. If not lucky, they'd have to park aside and spend the night in their trailers. Then you don't know how many people they'd have interacted with because again the trucking industry is poorly regulated in our country to begin with. But come on, do you really expect border patrols to stop and disinfect every truck that comes along the way and its cargo? That's as practical as asking every trucker if they coughed or sneezed 15 minutes prior to arriving at the border. Yeah, sorry if I upset your appetite if you were going to Safeway to purchase a few imported Washington apples but that is the sorry world we live in and we all have to just deal with it.

What should be in place is a system in which border guards can conduct quick temperature checks or inquire where a trucker has been during the past 48 or 72 hours. That would require strong cooperation and action between both sides, the U.S. and Canada, but it can be a very resourceful way of contact tracing and ensure that no trucker was in an area in which there was a Covid-19 breakout.

Old 06-18-2020, 01:34 PM

7,680 posts, read 5,526,207 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoisite View Post
It is the truckers who tested positive, some of whom have then infected close contacts, and thus the contacts are considered “linked to the trucking industry.” Truckers are not tested for the coronavirus upon entry to Manitoba and at a news conference yesterday our Premier refused to consider it. He said the number of cases too tiny. No one is even hospitalized right now in Manitoba on account of coronavirus.

Manitoba is eliminating the 14 day quarantine on Sunday for anyone from western Canada and the western part of Ontario, as part of phase 3 of the re-opening plan:

https://www.winnipegfreepress.com/sp...571330832.html

I actually have never heard of anyone in the world who is known for sure to have been infected by contact with surfaces.

Old 06-18-2020, 06:06 PM

361 posts, read 837,286 times
I have used the so called loophole (which is not btw) to fly into the US for work. I agree that the US is a sovereign nation and they should have their own rules, these rules are the same if you fly from anywhere (why make an exception for Canada?) first time the US is more relax on the border than Canada which is really overreacting to this for political reasons, even Europe is reopening their borders on July 1st.
Now I'm back in Canada in quarantine which is a PITA.

Last edited by djmanu; 06-18-2020 at 06:16 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada