Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 06-24-2020, 08:09 PM

5,428 posts, read 3,490,750 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by danielsa1775 View Post
We have it shoved down our throats constantly all the time in Australia. It get very tiresome and extreme in most cases, just yesterday for instance, we were told by our government owned national broadcaster that Chess (the board game) is racist, because the rules stipulate that white moves first. So you can imagine the kind of response you get when any true racist attacks actually occur.
There you go. I actually had to look it up to find out why white is supposed to go first and it turns out that it just became the norm over time rather than a hard rule.

I'd be more concerned about someone calling chess sexist these days, after all the queen does most of the heavy lifting while the king sits around doing next to nothing. I'd be filling divorce papers.

Quote:
Thought Canada is often stereotyped as been the good guy in these matters, even in Australia as well, not sure why as it would seem to have very similar issues with its natives as we do.
That's because Australia finds itself in hot water over it's various detention centers. Those have received some global coverage. With Canada, you need to dig a lot deeper if you want to find out what's going on. Both countries face similar issues with regards to how they deal with their native population.

Old 06-24-2020, 11:12 PM

6,031 posts, read 5,940,768 times
It has in most cases little too do with English language. Easy targets for some who possess serious own personal issues.
I'm not sure such behaviour should be given air time. May encourage the more feeble minded . I've the last young female in mind here.
Happens everywhere though. Don't accept it if happens in your vicinity.

Old 06-26-2020, 02:35 PM

225 posts, read 152,213 times
It's very sad to see! It's true there are so many of these videos on the internet today. Especially Youtube and Reddit.

Don't forget the Ontario woman Amy Cooper who goes viral after being on that tape in New York...!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=acIbrs4d8-Y

I see most racists in Canada act like this, although. He says we're mad about Covid-19 so he takes it off on Asian Canadians...

https://www.reddit.com/r/PublicFreak...er_decides_to/

I saw one today about a Canadian hate group being mad about Sir John A. MacDonald..

https://www.reddit.com/r/PublicFreak..._paint_from_a/

Here is a snippet about john A. MacDonald. He sounds like Hitler but way ahead of the time.

Macdonald passed an amendment the vote away from anyone “of Mongolian or Chinese race.” He warned that, if the Chinese (who had been in British Columbia as long as Europeans) were allowed to vote, “they might control the vote of that whole Province” and their “Chinese representatives” would foist “Asiatic principles,” “immoralities,” and “eccentricities” on the House “which are abhorrent to the Aryan race and Aryan principles.” He further claimed that “the Aryan races will not wholesomely amalgamate with the Africans or the Asiatics” and that “the cross of those races, like the cross of the dog and the fox, is not successful; it cannot be, and never will be.” For Macdonald, Canada was to be the country that restored a pure Aryan race to its past glory, and the Chinese threatened this purity.

Old 06-26-2020, 02:38 PM

225 posts, read 152,213 times
Why are so many of these from British Columbia? Is that a hotspot for racism?

I thought Alberta was more like that (in my experience), and has this reputation in Quebec also.

Old 06-26-2020, 03:01 PM

7,489 posts, read 4,948,419 times
Rather than look at the sensational news over a period of years, why not look at recents annual stats. Assuming that these police stats are accurate, it looks like people under age 18 need better education about diversity.

In Canada in 2018, there were fewer than 5 per 100,000 hate crimes in Canada (includes all hate crime, not just race). What are the stats for the USA per 100,000?

People under age 18 are most often perpetrators of hate crime

People aged 25-34 are most often victims, except for sexual orientation and then it is 45-54

https://www150.statcan.gc.ca/n1/pub/.../14832-eng.htm

https://www150.statcan.gc.ca/n1/pub/.../00003-eng.htm

Last edited by Lieneke; 06-26-2020 at 03:19 PM..

Old 06-26-2020, 03:41 PM

14,735 posts, read 15,006,450 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quebec Is My Country View Post
Why are so many of these from British Columbia? Is that a hotspot for racism?

I thought Alberta was more like that (in my experience), and has this reputation in Quebec also.
I have a theory about that. I think BC might be a bit of a hot spot because certain communities in BC have sooooo many more new people arriving from soooo many more different countries congregating in them and they all tend to go for each other's throats from time to time and then all end up with backlash from locals who have been there all their lives getting fed up and tired with newbies disregard for local customs and municipality rules and regulations.

For one example: in the city of Richmond there are a lot of people that became just sickened and grief stricken by the number of very, very wealthy young Asian boys/men in their late teens/early 20's who have illegal road races on the city streets. They have races in their super expensive European sports cars that their absent parents bought them before plunking their children down to live alone with no limit credit cards in big empty mansions that they're supposed to house-sit while the wealthy parents are still back at home in their own countries. And then these boys who have been left alone to house-sit mansions and attend to their own devices and their expensive road toys join up to have races and have truly horrific super high speed accidents on residential streets and cause a lot of property damage and kill many innocent people (including their selves sometimes and sometimes even the police).

It got so bad and with so much frequency that the city of Richmond had to write up a bunch of new city bylaws, including motor vehicle bylaws, specifically aimed at those kinds of wealthy new immigrant people and their careless spoiled rotten rich children who do these kinds of things without any regard or care for the consequences. So then many locals got to thinking that all Asians are like those spoiled wealthy Asians who have no regard for locals or local customs and laws ..... and Bob's Your Uncle! ...... there you go with a bunch of people in Richmond keying other people's cars and getting all racist and hurling invectives at each other and all telling each other to "speak English" and "go back home where you came from". Even to the ones that were born and raised in Richmond and raised one or two or more generations there too.

That's just one example but a true one.

I think that if somebody without bias went looking for similar videos of examples of racism in Quebec and other provinces such as the ones that were posted above about BC and Ontario that that person would find just as many examples in Quebec as in any other provinces, maybe more since there are more people there. One only needs to look for them to find them. Nobody is exempt.

Old 06-26-2020, 07:51 PM

7,489 posts, read 4,948,419 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoisite View Post
I have a theory about that. I think BC might be a bit of a hot spot because certain communities in BC have sooooo many more new people arriving from soooo many more different countries congregating in them and they all tend to go for each other's throats from time to time and then all end up with backlash from locals who have been there all their lives getting fed up and tired with newbies disregard for local customs and municipality rules and regulations.

For one example: in the city of Richmond there are a lot of people that became just sickened and grief stricken by the number of very, very wealthy young Asian boys/men in their late teens/early 20's who have illegal road races on the city streets. They have races in their super expensive European sports cars that their absent parents bought them before plunking their children down to live alone with no limit credit cards in big empty mansions that they're supposed to house-sit while the wealthy parents are still back at home in their own countries. And then these boys who have been left alone to house-sit mansions and attend to their own devices and their expensive road toys join up to have races and have truly horrific super high speed accidents on residential streets and cause a lot of property damage and kill many innocent people (including their selves sometimes and sometimes even the police).

It got so bad and with so much frequency that the city of Richmond had to write up a bunch of new city bylaws, including motor vehicle bylaws, specifically aimed at those kinds of wealthy new immigrant people and their careless spoiled rotten rich children who do these kinds of things without any regard or care for the consequences. So then many locals got to thinking that all Asians are like those spoiled wealthy Asians who have no regard for locals or local customs and laws ..... and Bob's Your Uncle! ...... there you go with a bunch of people in Richmond keying other people's cars and getting all racist and hurling invectives at each other and all telling each other to "speak English" and "go back home where you came from". Even to the ones that were born and raised in Richmond and raised one or two or more generations there too.

I think that if somebody without bias went looking for similar videos of examples of racism in Quebec and other provinces such as the ones that were posted above about BC and Ontario that that person would find just as many examples in Quebec as in any other provinces, maybe more since there are more people there. One only needs to look for them to find them. Nobody is exempt.

We can see from the stats provinces are ordered: Ontario, Quebec, British Columbia, Alberta and so on. The videos are not a representation of a much larger problem. We see that here.

Quebec is second after Ontario. Montreal is also one of the first covid hot spots in Canada, as is an international hub with the USA.

Regarding racism and origins, in Europe one of the problems with immigration was that immigrants lived near others from their original country. Sometimes unemployed youth from those areas rioted and made demands (Paris). In Belgium, those enclaves produced ISIS recruits. One of the Scandinavian countries passed a law preventing marriage until something like age 22 to ensure that all girls could attend post-sec. and meet people from outside their culture. Racism/discrimination is complex and should be approached cautiously with policy, not vandalism.

Old 06-28-2020, 05:56 PM

428 posts, read 450,564 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoisite View Post

Just to be clear - B.C. being the most common province in those videos is not intentional. I was going to order by province, but partway through I realized there have been so many that I just stopped at a certain point.

Old 06-28-2020, 05:57 PM

428 posts, read 450,564 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lieneke View Post
We can see from the stats provinces are ordered: Ontario, Quebec, British Columbia, Alberta and so on. The videos are not a representation of a much larger problem. We see that here.

Quebec is second after Ontario. Montreal is also one of the first covid hot spots in Canada, as is an international hub with the USA.

Regarding racism and origins, in Europe one of the problems with immigration was that immigrants lived near others from their original country. Sometimes unemployed youth from those areas rioted and made demands (Paris). In Belgium, those enclaves produced ISIS recruits. One of the Scandinavian countries passed a law preventing marriage until something like age 22 to ensure that all girls could attend post-sec. and meet people from outside their culture. Racism/discrimination is complex and should be approached cautiously with policy, not vandalism.
Constant denial doesn't get us anywhere either.

Are indigenous people going to call the police, knowing how the police treat them?

Old 06-28-2020, 07:22 PM

14,735 posts, read 15,006,450 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by modernrebel View Post
Constant denial doesn't get us anywhere either.

Are indigenous people going to call the police, knowing how the police treat them?
No, they usually won't, not unless they already have a good working community relationship and familiarity with the local RCMP or if they know it's their own community's Native police that will be responding and everyone knows how to calm down whatever the situation is. Locality is everything. The difference between city environment policing and back country village environment policing can be like the difference between night and day with regard to how things are going to go down.

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada