Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 06-22-2020, 08:03 PM

26,882 posts, read 38,026,310 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by PBeauchamp View Post
This true, and tiresome.

Quebec has contributed more to Canada than any other province, and yet we still tolerate this ridiculous idea that we are somehow, as a nation, more racist than Anglo Canada: .
Well, a province could have contributed more than any other to Canada and still be the most racist. One does not make the other impossible.

Not saying this is true though. "Quebec is racist" is a popular meme. Which in itself is actually prejudice.

Old 06-22-2020, 08:28 PM

7,363 posts, read 8,403,667 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Milky Way Resident View Post
Unfortunately, I expect these kind of encounters to become worse as time goes by. When you hire staff who have trouble communicating in English, confrontations are likely to ensue.

I do find this kind of behaviour utterly disgusting, but at the same time I see the root cause of it.
So all immigrants to Canada over the last century that worked in stores or any other businesses spoke perfect English? Is this really a new dilemma for Canadians?

Old 06-22-2020, 09:04 PM

428 posts, read 450,861 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UrbanLuis View Post
So all immigrants to Canada over the last century that worked in stores or any other businesses spoke perfect English? Is this really a new dilemma for Canadians?
Unfortunately, that's the Canada we currently live in. The fact that French speakers started the country aside, I don't like it either, hence this thread.

Old 06-22-2020, 10:32 PM

5,428 posts, read 3,496,448 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UrbanLuis View Post
They most certainly didn’t. At the end of day, one tends to pick up language skills as time goes by. The problem is that you still have people who’ve been living there for upwards of 40 years (that applies to the US and Australia as well) yet have not bothered improving their skills in that timeframe.
That’s only part of the equation. The other is the segregation of that takes place along religious and racial lines. It’s understandable that people want to mix with their own kind, that human nature, but there comes a point where it rears its ugly head. When you have immigrants purely socializing with their own kind, you are left with a situation where communities live in their own bubble. What’s the incentive in learning English when you mingle with your own kind and develop businesses along those lines? That’s less of an issue when you run a small shop that caters to people who share your ethnicity, but becomes a bigger problem when you work in a more prominent public place, like the pharmacy seen in the first video.

Now as you can probably imagine, Canada’s racial makeup has changed quite a bit over the past 50 or so years, so people who grew up in a certain environment react negatively to these changes. When a person already looks different, having poor language skills on top of it, gets picked upon.

There’s a reality that needs to be confronted here. Most immigrants come to Canada because they believe that the country offers them an environment in which they can achieve financial stability. Few are those who come in order to join a prosperous mosaic because they find the prospect of that enticing. There are exceptions of course, however I’ve not found that to be the case with most.

To wrap it all up, that’s why you get stories like these on repeat, regrettable as it is. The best way for immigrants to arm themselves against such racism is to try and integrate with society as much as possible. Learn the language, show some initiative and then when some racist comes at you, you can turn around and point the finger back at them.

Old 06-23-2020, 07:58 AM

27,564 posts, read 28,659,961 times
Wow. Watching these videos makes me sick to my stomach.

This just proves that racism exists everywhere. The U.S. likes to talk about it a lot while other countries mostly keep quiet about it.

Old 06-23-2020, 07:14 PM

2,222 posts, read 1,326,475 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Milky Way Resident View Post
Unfortunately, I expect these kind of encounters to become worse as time goes by. When you hire staff who have trouble communicating in English, confrontations are likely to ensue.

I do find this kind of behaviour utterly disgusting, but at the same time I see the root cause of it.
If you are referring to this video, the salesgirl and her male supervisor are proficient English speaker. However, when the customer demanded to exchange some merchandize or to return it, the salesgirl and her male supervisor reverted to their mothertongue (Tagalog) to discuss how best to solve the issue on hand. Not at all polite to speak a foreign language infront of a customer.

B.C. Woman: Speak English, this is Canada

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hmyr...ature=emb_logo

Old 06-23-2020, 07:27 PM

5,059 posts, read 7,500,188 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigCityDreamer View Post
Wow. Watching these videos makes me sick to my stomach.

This just proves that racism exists everywhere. The U.S. likes to talk about it a lot while other countries mostly keep quiet about it.
We have it shoved down our throats constantly all the time in Australia. It get very tiresome and extreme in most cases, just yesterday for instance, we were told by our government owned national broadcaster that Chess (the board game) is racist, because the rules stipulate that white moves first. So you can imagine the kind of response you get when any true racist attacks actually occur.

Thought Canada is often stereotyped as been the good guy in these matters, even in Australia as well, not sure why as it would seem to have very similar issues with its natives as we do.

Old 06-24-2020, 12:14 AM

18,504 posts, read 15,552,312 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by orbiter View Post
If you are referring to this video, the salesgirl and her male supervisor are proficient English speaker. However, when the customer demanded to exchange some merchandize or to return it, the salesgirl and her male supervisor reverted to their mothertongue (Tagalog) to discuss how best to solve the issue on hand. Not at all polite to speak a foreign language infront of a customer.

"B.C. Woman: Speak English, this is Canada"

They should have switched to French.

Old 06-24-2020, 07:07 AM

22,923 posts, read 15,487,222 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Natnasci View Post
"B.C. Woman: Speak English, this is Canada"

They should have switched to French.
There ya go! Memories of Expo 67 came flooding back to me with that one.

Old 06-24-2020, 07:39 PM

5,428 posts, read 3,496,448 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by orbiter View Post

No, I wasn't exclusively looking at this video. I was referring to the growing problem of language and how that translates to racism in New World countries, including Canada.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada