Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Is Canada becoming an Asian country?
Yes 12 27.27%
No 21 47.73%
I don't know 11 25.00%
Voters: 44. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-01-2020, 07:24 PM

6,421 posts, read 7,661,659 times

Advertisements

So, does that mean that lovely Canada will come like the San Francisco Bay Area?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-01-2020, 07:26 PM

14,735 posts, read 15,011,327 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lio45 View Post
Disagree with this. I shop at places like T&T and eat East Asian/South Asian food about 10,000x more than my father or grandfather did back when they were my age. I also get to hear/see Mandarin or Punjabi >100x more than they did.
I do too. And I shop and eat food from places that sell all other manner of ethnic foods from all cultures that I never had the privilege to shop for 40 years ago, and I get to learn more about more people from more cultures and nations that never lived in Canada 40 years ago. And now here we go - the whole world is coming to my doorstep and bringing its world of cultures and new languages and arts and foods with it, it's very exciting and entertaining.

What possible reason could anyone have for objecting to having so much more of everything than what there was before?

Old 07-01-2020, 07:33 PM

14,735 posts, read 15,011,327 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Heidi60 View Post
So, does that mean that lovely Canada will come like the San Francisco Bay Area?
What is the San Francisco Bay Area like now? It's been something like 18 years since I was there last and I noticed then that there were an awful lot of frightened and distant people there compared to what it was like 30 and 40 and 50 years ago when everyone was a lot more inviting and friendlier. Has that changed? Is it worse or is it better now?

Old 07-01-2020, 10:01 PM

7,363 posts, read 8,394,325 times
I wouldn't say Canada as a whole is becoming an Asian country but many of our cities most certainly are.

Quote:
Yes. Many cities are no longer affordable and can be very unwelcoming to working class families just like the SFC bay area.

Old 07-01-2020, 11:13 PM

18,504 posts, read 15,536,880 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Milky Way Resident View Post
That remains to be seen is the only plausible answer. Obviously, Canada will still be in North America physically, but what happens beyond that is anyone's guess. I would say that it depends on what happens with the Asian population moving forward. Will they integrate and adopt Canadian values or will most of them be merely economic migrants?

While Canada was founded by Europeans, there is nothing preventing future generations from changing things if they become the majority and feel that the old ways no longer appeal to them. If tomorrow, 70% of the population comes from societies that are strongly opposed to LGBT rights, how do you think that's going to affect the country's stance on it?

This isn't a rant against immigration though. I'm strongly in favour of it, but I can see how things could change in the future.
I don't suddenly see 70 percent of the population of Canada being populated by those so against what Canada stands for. ( our immigration policies don't allow that many in ) Even the very small minority of those new immigrants opposed to certain rights, quickly find out that their views go against the law of the land. You must also must understand that gay rights have been entrenched in Canadian law years before the US. Not just equal marriage but adoption and accepting gays in the military. In others words, it's not so new to us.

I know from experience that some asian immigrants against LGBTQ2 rights came from societies that had our 1950's views. They learn. Especially parents of LGBTQ2 children soon find out that Canadian society, for the vast part, does not reject them. Which is a parents greatest fear.

One thing that seems to baffle some Americans is the " live and let live " attitude that is prevalent in Canadian culture. Saying this, knowing there are some that are not that way.

I remember going door to door for a candidate that had just come out mid campaign. Many of the people I talked to said ( this was in the early 80's ) I don't understand this whole gay thing, and I guess he can't help it, but I like what he say's so I may vote for him". Only one person slammed a door in my face. In other words, if his being gay didn't affect them, so be it.

Last edited by Natnasci; 07-01-2020 at 11:28 PM..

Old 07-01-2020, 11:20 PM

18,504 posts, read 15,536,880 times
Quote:
You make it sound that Canada won't be lovely with asian immigrants? Did you know that in the Glenbow Museum in Calgary had an exhibit of something that a lot of Canadians hold dear to their heart? That whether growing up in a small prairie town, or a big city we have a memory of. A Canadian Chinese restaurant. More like a diner. Chinese immigrants. like corner stores, ran many. It's become part of our DNA. So much so that the museum had one intact on display.

http://www.calgaryherald.com/life/Pr...854/story.html

I hate to be the one to tell you, but one of the great things about SF was it's Chinatown.

That, and the fact that parts of the Lower Mainland have more asians per capita than SF.

Oh, the horrors!! An amazing night market, incredible restaurants and YES formerly oppressed Chinese who love democracy and have come here to remind us of how precious that is.

Last edited by Natnasci; 07-01-2020 at 11:30 PM..

Old 07-02-2020, 12:48 AM

3,433 posts, read 3,746,637 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by qazz12 View Post
I'm from an underdeveloped country.
Mexico.

Old 07-02-2020, 01:05 AM

909 posts, read 1,152,600 times
I voted for "I Don't Know" because it's a weird question. How can a country in North America become an Asian country anyway?

Old 07-02-2020, 03:59 AM

5,214 posts, read 4,015,953 times
this depends on how asian maybe...later today I'm planning to watch this korean movie with my favorite Nana - if they become country with Nanas i would've moved there long before the hockey players did.

Old 07-02-2020, 10:14 AM

22,923 posts, read 15,477,951 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lio45 View Post
Disagree with this. I shop at places like T&T and eat East Asian/South Asian food about 10,000x more than my father or grandfather did back when they were my age. I also get to hear/see Mandarin or Punjabi >100x more than they did.
And did your father or grandfather ever attend Caribana?

The world is an expanding population with the subsequent migration patterns one would expect to countries having room and opportunities.

Canada is absorbing immigration from all over the globe; Asia being just one of those areas.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada