Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-03-2021, 06:47 PM

14,735 posts, read 15,033,548 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbgusa View Post
The way Rick Mercer makes fun of Americans?
LOL. Nope, worse than that. Rick Mercer is tame by comparison with American productions' stereotypes about Canadians.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-03-2021, 06:53 PM

35,064 posts, read 17,006,525 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoisite View Post
LOL. Nope, worse than that. Rick Mercer is tame by comparison with American productions' stereotypes about Canadians.

Really? I am not privy to much anti-Canadian humor or publicity unless watching Trudeau make governing a good parody of Romper Room.

Old 03-03-2021, 08:06 PM

26,882 posts, read 38,026,310 times
Aside from one-offs like Tucker Carlson going off on a rant about Canada once every five years, I don't think I've ever seen anything from the U.S. as deliberately nasty as Rick Mercer's Talking to Americans.

The explicit goal of that segment was to make Americans look dumb, and even Mercer himself admitted that it was edited to only keep the dumbest responses and the people who got stuff right never appeared on the show.

You could never do something similar with Canadians for an American network because... who would care?

Old 03-03-2021, 08:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post
Aside from one-offs like Tucker Carlson going off on a rant about Canada once every five years, I don't think I've ever seen anything from the U.S. as deliberately nasty as Rick Mercer's Talking to Americans.

The explicit goal of that segment was to make Americans look dumb, and even Mercer himself admitted that it was edited to only keep the dumbest responses and the people who got stuff right never appeared on the show.

You could never do something similar with Canadians for an American network because... who would care?
I can I think very purely Canadian foibles besides constantly saying they are “sorry.“ That makes it hard to put on such a program.

With regard to Rick Mercer, my dream was always to be accosted by him. My plan was to play along with him for a while, and then turn on him. Perhaps I would ask him what the King-Byng affair was. Or ask him what multi-mandate Prime Minister never had a majority government (the correct answer is Lester Bowles Pearson).

I can guarantee you that footage would not be used.

Old 03-04-2021, 07:21 AM

A regular American show making fun of Canadian quirks would be like the CBC creating show to make fun of the quirks of... Greenlanders.

OK maybe I'm exaggerating. But not that much, really.

Old 03-04-2021, 08:10 AM

Quote:
A regular American show making fun of Canadian quirks would be like the CBC creating show to make fun of the quirks of... Greenlanders.

We don't always see eye to eye but we do here. Can you imagine my being interrogated by Rick Mercer?

Old 03-04-2021, 10:04 AM

Quote:
We don't always see eye to eye .
And here I thought we were friends?

Old 03-04-2021, 12:11 PM

18,504 posts, read 15,552,312 times
Quote:
The way Rick Mercer makes fun of Americans?
From this response, I'm getting the feeling you don't think I find the jokes about Canadians stereotypes on Who's Your Mother, funny,

I do.

That why I did post #48.

Rick Mercer's bit IMO was a reaction to what Canadians get in real life a lot of the times. Years of being misrepresented in US media and entertainment. Most of it benign, some of it insulting.

Last edited by Natnasci; 03-04-2021 at 12:45 PM..

Old 03-04-2021, 12:31 PM

Quote:

Actually it's different.

A lot of the Canadian " content " on US shows is there because of Canadians in the US. Writers, producers etc.

Some of those jokes are written by Canadian for Canadians. A nudge, nudge, wink, wink kind of thing.

Old 03-04-2021, 12:44 PM

Quote:

Rick Mercer does comedy.

Tucker Carlson doesn't. That is a huge difference.

If you want nasty, watch this. They later had to apologize because I believe that week some Canadian soldiers died in Afghanistan, not too mention the early incident where Americans killed four Canadian soldiers in the same conflict.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g9tf0-BIyU0

I also think Rick Mercer's bit was a reaction that has built up over the years and if I remember correctly a lot of his " victims " were politicians, some high up, who should have known better. Prime Minister Poutine? That deserves a laugh.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada