Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-17-2008, 02:19 PM

91 posts, read 334,431 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZX14TJ View Post
Yes, you need a different job! If you work for Wachovia and they make you pay $900/mo, you are getting the worst deal possible!

I know is horrible

Please tell which employer covers that much of the Health Care cost, wherein you only pay $50 a month.

Last edited by jemelb; 05-17-2008 at 02:45 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-17-2008, 06:21 PM

411 posts, read 1,601,000 times
I know this thread is supposed to be about the differences between Canada and the US but we seem to have segued into a discussion about health care. Oh well, I'll add to it.

When my DH was employed we had great, excellent coverage through his company. We paid $1,000 per month. Insurance paid 70% of what was 'reasonable and customary' leaving us holding the bag for about two grand or so a year. We were lucky enough to be able to set aside 'pre-tax income' which we could use toward the co-payments.

Now he's retired. He's on Medicare with a supplemental plan. I am not covered by anything and am trying to find a company which will accept me and our two daughters. My high cholesterol levels (which must have gone down due to treatment) is making me an undesirable applicant. I just hope nothing happens to any of us before we get accepted somewhere. We are NOT HAPPY CAMPERS about this. We're hoping to pay under a thousand dollars a month for the three of us, including dental and eyeglasses.

Old 05-17-2008, 07:00 PM

5 posts, read 20,284 times
Is the heath care system in Canada really as Michael Moore describes it in his documentary 'Sicko'?

Old 05-17-2008, 08:34 PM

4,282 posts, read 15,745,110 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lord chAos View Post
Is the heath care system in Canada really as Michael Moore describes it in his documentary 'Sicko'?

Please pursue this topic in this current thread rather than duplicating discussions here.

Thanks.

Old 05-19-2008, 06:39 AM

91 posts, read 334,431 times
This is from Fortune Magazine...

There were 21 companies on this year's list pay 100% of their employees' health-care premiums.

Florida had only 3 in the top 100 best companies to work. California and Texas were tied at 13.

Man, I need to move out of Florida...

Old 05-23-2008, 01:09 PM
edk

95 posts, read 543,530 times
Yes, we Canadians pay for our health care though our taxes, such as income tax, where those who can afford to pay pay more than those who can't.

Which is how it should be, except for dog-eat-dog survival of the fittest freaks.

Old 05-30-2008, 01:19 AM

29 posts, read 161,891 times
I don't know if you've made up your mind already after reading these posts ... but I'll put in my two cents anyway. I'm originally from Toronto but live in Memphis, TN with my husband. Recently my husband received his VISA to immigrate to Canada so we can be closer to my aging parents ... haven't been able to achieve our goal yet (husband couldn't get a job, economy started downturn, etc.) so we're looking to move next year.

My husband is not keen on moving to Canada in general, especially to Toronto. Mind you Toronto is unique in itself as an expensive urban center ... but reasons that top his list: lower wages (he works in IT industry), expensive housing, cold weather, more traffic, higher taxes, more expensive goods, a little too "politically correct" for him (ha ha - he's from Memphis!) to name a few. Of course Canada is a big country and you could escape many of these things depending where you choose to live ... but why not move to Knoxville instead, for example? Which leads me to ask ... what is compels you to consider this move?

If it wasn't for my family, I think we would stay in the US, just not Memphis.

Old 06-01-2008, 06:41 PM

2,743 posts, read 14,291,422 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZX14TJ View Post
<snip>
In the states, health insurance is generally paid by an employer. Some employers pay 100% and others have the employee pay $50/month (give or take). The poor and elderly are covered under Medicare and Medicaid (government programs). Yes, you can still get health insurance after a heart attack.<snip>
These statements are incorrect.

In the US, certain segments of the population are covered by Medicaid... not "the poor", but just poor children, and pregnant women. Pregnant women get coverage for up to a year after the baby's birth, and low income women have access to pap smears and birth control for free but nothing else. While I am thrilled that there is coverage for children, the kids aren't helped much if mom or dad is ill with no health coverage.

Also, I have yet to hear of any employer covering that much of the premiums so that the individual only has to pay $50 a month. That would be awesome but where are you working that this is true? I have yet to have a job where I could afford to take advantage of health care coverage because the premiums are too high for someone making $7 to 10 an hour. The last job I had would have cost me $175 a month for me alone (and I made about 10 an hour). There is simply no room in the budget, even if I'd had a better paying job, for these kind of healthcare premiums when we also have to consider housing, utilities, food, and of course GAS.

My ex had coverage for all of us at $270 a month but he was making $750 a week so it was more manageable. Even then our co-pays ran us another $150 a month because the kids have asthma and allergies and monthly medication costs.

There are plenty of people in the US like me: we work but we cannot afford health coverage even when offered. My children, thankfully, are covered by Medicaid. If I get sick I'm screwed. I did go to the ER earlier this year after a car wreck... and have a $2000 medical bill (exam and x-rays.. no treatment) that I cannot pay which will now screw up my credit. There are a few community clinics with sliding scale options that attempt to fill in the gap but they are overcrowded, understaffed, and the quality of care is often questionable. I've used them though, when I had no other option, and in those cases paid about $50 for a visit, another $20 for meds (for something like a sinus infection).

My mother got cancer in the 80's and was able to find a charity hospital and had a hysterectomy, radiation, etc.. That five-figure debt has 'stalked' her for decades because she couldn't pay the money back for a long time and it ruined her credit.

Old 06-01-2008, 07:09 PM

3 posts, read 5,141 times
I grew up in Gatineau QC and now live in NYC.

The US system is better if you are upper or middle class and have a good plan. You get into the doctor quickly, are scheduled for procedures quickly and the facilities and equipment are cleaner, newer and nicer. On the other hand, the paperwork is awful and after it was over, you might get stuck with a nasty bill. Most bankruptcies are filed over healthcare costs.

If you aren't well off and have a good plan, the US system doesn't work well at all.

The Canadian system is easier to navigate and there aren't the same worries about costs, but the facilities and equipment are older and queues may be longer.

I also read somewhere that patient outcomes are slightly better in Canada than the US. I don't know if this is because many Americans wait longer to get treated or whether, despite the older facilities, etc., the Canadian system just works better.

Old 06-01-2008, 10:04 PM

315 posts, read 1,624,552 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fierce_flawless View Post
Also, I have yet to hear of any employer covering that much of the premiums so that the individual only has to pay $50 a month. That would be awesome but where are you working that this is true?
A mentioned earlier in this thread. 21 of the 100 top companies Forbes magaine profiled pay 100% of health care premiums. Employees with those companies don't pay $50/month...they pay $0.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrooklynDan View Post
The US system is better if you are upper or middle class and have a good plan. You get into the doctor quickly, are scheduled for procedures quickly and the facilities and equipment are cleaner, newer and nicer.
I agree completely. I have long believed the Canadian system is great for the lower socio-economic classes. The unfortunate part is that people with more money cannot buy better care.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada