Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-05-2020, 10:12 AM

7,680 posts, read 5,529,153 times

Advertisements

Well, my posts yesterday haven’t aged well. The Canadian government announced today that it has entered into agreements with Pfizer and Moderna that will ensure Canadians will have access to their vaccines. Plus agreements with other potential vaccine suppliers are at the negotiation stage.

https://www.cbc.ca/news/politics/vac...ains-1.5674820
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-05-2020, 02:00 PM

22,923 posts, read 15,489,598 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cdnirene View Post
Well, my posts yesterday haven’t aged well. The Canadian government announced today that it has entered into agreements with Pfizer and Moderna that will ensure Canadians will have access to their vaccines. Plus agreements with other potential vaccine suppliers are at the negotiation stage.

https://www.cbc.ca/news/politics/vac...ains-1.5674820
Haaar! If your posts are destined not to "age well"; let them all age as badly as that one.

Old 08-06-2020, 01:55 AM

7,489 posts, read 4,955,226 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cdnirene View Post
Of course not.

To clarify my previous post: The U.S. has agreed to pay huge amounts of money to drug companies with the most promising vaccine candidates, gambling that at least one of the vaccines will be successful. Those investments ensure the U.S. will have a vaccine to distribute earlier than most other countries. The EU is doing something similar and I believe the U.K. is too.

Canada has no such agreement except for the WHO investment which will guarantee access to a possible successful vaccine for only a maximum of 20% of our population (and we won’t have priority).

So if a good proportion of the U.S. population is vaccinated first and hardly anyone in Canada is, then the shoe is on the other foot - the U.S. may want to keep the border closed.
Canada has a vaccine to test, but lacks a critical ingredient from China.

I haven no doubt that the USA will do everything in its power to handicap the Canadian government, like the AVRO. There are percentage purchases, with the USA pledging more than Canada. If Canada can act independently and purchase the ingredients needed to run trials, chances are it will continue to do better than the country to the South. Speaking of walls ...
"But Providence, which says it’s one of Canada’s leading mRNA vaccine producers, hasn’t heard from the government since late May and has yet to receive funding for the next stages of its testing after it submitted a $35-million proposal in April. That same month, the federal government committed more than $600 million to vaccine manufacturing and research in Canada, including clinical trials. Among projects already funded as part of that pledge is a partnership between China’s CanSino Biologics and Dalhousie University in Nova Scotia."
https://www.ctvnews.ca/health/corona...ding-1.5051347
"Canada has already invested in a vaccine-development partnership between China's CanSino Biologics and Dalhousie University in Nova Scotia but China has held up shipments it was supposed to send to Dalhousie researchers by the end of May to start human trials.

Canada-China relations are severely strained after the People's Republic imprisoned two Canadian men, Michael Kovrig and Michael Spavor, in apparent retaliation for the RCMP's arresting Chinese high-tech executive Meng Wanzhou on an American extradition warrant in December 2018."
https://www.ctvnews.ca/politics/heal...lays-1.5037669

Old 08-06-2020, 02:46 PM

Here we go again:

https://www.msn.com/en-ca/money/tops...EP3?li=AAggNb9

When you're beleaguered in the polls, attack Canada, that works every time.

Old 08-06-2020, 02:50 PM

26,882 posts, read 38,032,223 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BruSan View Post
Here we go again:

Bless their hearts.

Old 08-06-2020, 03:18 PM

81 posts, read 101,210 times
Quote:
Here we go again:

Nobody in the US cares about Canada so there is no gain to mention Canada in almost any context. I don't see this stuff being talked about in any way until I log onto City Data's Canada forum where hurt Canadians vie for American attention.

Old 08-06-2020, 03:25 PM

7,680 posts, read 5,529,153 times
Quote:
Here we go again:

Well Trump has to support his Russian pals. Article published July 3 in various newspapers: https://toronto.citynews.ca/2020/07/...h-u-s-tariffs/

Quote:
The ensuing “surge” in Canadian imports caught the attention of the U.S. trade representative’s office — or more specifically, the two U.S. producers that raised a red flag: Century Aluminum and Magnitude 7 Metals, which together comprise a Trump-friendly lobbying effort known as the American Primary Aluminum Association.
Quote:
A separate group known as the Aluminum Association, which counts dozens of U.S. and international producers among its members, has argued against tariffs, calling Canadian suppliers an integral element of the North American supply chain and a key component of the industry’s success.
Quote:
Glencore Plc, a metals trader and producer based in Switzerland, holds a 47 per cent stake in Century. Magnitude 7, founded by a former Glencore aluminum trader, operates a single plant in Missouri that won a new lease on life after Trump’s first round of tariffs in 2018, but which warned in February it was on the verge of shutting down.

Glencore also holds the exclusive rights to sell Russian-made aluminum in the U.S., and agreed in April to spend $16.3 billion over the next five years on up to 6.9 million tonnes of the metal from Rusal, the second largest aluminum producer in the world.

Old 08-06-2020, 05:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by limelightkid View Post
Nobody in the US cares about Canada so there is no gain to mention Canada in almost any context. I don't see this stuff being talked about in any way until I log onto City Data's Canada forum where hurt Canadians vie for American attention.

Yeah right; that's why Trump makes the very public announcement and manages to also mention how he made it so much better for the milk producers by wrestling Canada to the mat in NAFTA. The man's desperate.

That's why I mentioned it way over here in the Canada section, because I'm vying for American attention.

You won't see it being "talked about in any way" by Americans due to the condition mentioned in the title of this thread.

Give it a rest with the hurt Canadians bullcrap.

Old 08-06-2020, 08:11 PM

81 posts, read 101,210 times
Quote:
Yeah right; that's why Trump makes the very public announcement and manages to also mention how he made it so much better for the milk producers by wrestling Canada to the mat in NAFTA. The man's desperate.

That's why I mentioned it way over here in the Canada section, because I'm vying for American attention.

You won't see it being "talked about in any way" by Americans due to the condition mentioned in the title of this thread.

Give it a rest with the hurt Canadians bullcrap.
The complex runs deep as you and Lieneke continue to determine how to make Canada more important to the USA. Come on dude.

Old 08-06-2020, 08:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by limelightkid View Post
The complex runs deep as you and Lieneke continue to determine how to make Canada more important to the USA. Come on dude.
Again with the complex? Tired meme, overworn and irrelevant. You need a new schtick.

It's in the news dood. Talking about it in these forums is not 'verbotin' because you think it should be. I suppose the various news networks reporting about it all day long are seeking only to 'make Canada more important to the U.S.' ??

I think I liked it better when, as you and others were suggesting, we were so irrelevant to the U.S. they never thought of, or mentioned us at all.

Those were the good old days.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada