Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-01-2020, 08:11 PM

7,489 posts, read 4,954,307 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoisite View Post
Well ..... I liked it that at least Joe had enough gumption to say "Will you shut up, man."

I was stunned to hear one presidential candidate say "shut up" to another. It's funny and sad, and it tells us so much about the USA today. Those two men did not come to power by accident. They represent the people in the USA - how they think, what they value, and what behaviour they consider normal. It's completely understandable that people are rioting and destroying their communities when the people they choose to speak for them are belligerent, ignorant clowns. It's a country that appears to lack education, to say the least.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-01-2020, 10:06 PM

7,363 posts, read 8,403,667 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lieneke View Post
I was stunned to hear one presidential candidate say "shut up" to another. It's funny and sad, and it tells us so much about the USA today. Those two men did not come to power by accident. They represent the people in the USA - how they think, what they value, and what behaviour they consider normal. It's completely understandable that people are rioting and destroying their communities when the people they choose to speak for them are belligerent, ignorant clowns. It's a country that appears to lack education, to say the least.
The US is a country with over 300 million people. We should avoid making sweeping generalization of such a big country. Who also happen to be our good friends and neighbors.

Old 10-02-2020, 04:17 AM

26,876 posts, read 38,026,310 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UrbanLuis View Post
The US is a country with over 300 million people. We should avoid making sweeping generalization of such a big country. Who also happen to be our good friends and neighbors.
The US also has a higher concentration of educated people than any other country. It also draws the best and brightest from all over the planet like no other.

Old 10-02-2020, 04:58 AM

1,554 posts, read 3,034,218 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post
The US also has a higher concentration of educated people than any other country. It also draws the best and brightest from all over the planet like no other.
If only the best and brightest constituted a larger share of the population.....a lot of things are coming to roost now. I think it´s safe to say that decades ago, the average American was still exceptional, and now the average American is mediocre at best. It pains me to say this, but to watch my country of birth slowly crumble is tough to deal with. Maybe this is the lowest point that we all needed to turn it around, but I´m not so certain that the future holds any real promise. I am confident that I can have a good life there, but things are not going to be as good as my parents had it. Not even close.

One of your fellow countrymen said it best here:

https://www.rollingstone.com/politic...59m4uLZ9OPFt2c

Old 10-02-2020, 05:30 AM

88,569 posts, read 84,777,093 times
Quote:
We don't choose them. They are the choices we are given by those with the money and power to put candidates in the position to be chosen, candidates who will benefit special interests and wealthy factions.

They do not represent my values or how I think and I do not think their behavior is normal.

Last edited by Mightyqueen801; 10-02-2020 at 06:09 AM..

Old 10-02-2020, 05:47 AM

14,394 posts, read 11,245,044 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Natnasci View Post
The road comment was kind of an inside joke.

In 1986 a friend worked on an Expo '86 800 number information line, where potential visitors could call with questions about the upcoming World's Fair in Vancouver. One caller from the US wanted to know if the fair was accessible by road.
Years ago an American driving a car with skis on the roof asked me at Customs (where I was I stopped to pay duty on some items) in Niagara Falls if there was any snow around. This was in July. I nicely suggested to him to take Yonge St north in downtown Toronto and drive to the very end, then turn right.

I hope he realized this is wasn’t a good suggestion.

Old 10-02-2020, 07:05 AM

Overall I have to say I'd rather Canadians focus on improving Canada instead of bashing Americans self-righteously to prop themselves up.

We may look better than the U.S. on some metrics but on many of these we don't fare that well compared to our OECD peers.

Old 10-02-2020, 07:29 AM

2,227 posts, read 1,403,483 times
The only reason I want Canada to reopen is because I miss my previous way of life. I used to go to to lambton shores and have a dinner picnic with coworkers on Friday nights in summer. That’s no more. I don’t know if I’ll ever see them in person again .

Old 10-02-2020, 07:43 AM

22,923 posts, read 15,487,222 times
Quote:
Great summary. No one had anything good to say about either of the clowns.

Funny you should ask about our political theatre. As I read the National Post this morning, I thought Biden might want to plagiarize our guy - whatever his name is - O'toole. The new Conservative Party man that appeared out of thin air.

O'toole Hammers Trudeau, China

https://nationalpost.pressreader.com...01001/textview

I suppose there's nothing new when it comes to one party leader focusing on the other in the time honoured method of characterizing a whole party as manifested by the mere whims of their chosen pitch-man; but goodness me, do they have to follow such a predictable script without any ability to show some actual intelligence and independent thought at all?

Our political scene for the last few decades has been virtually lock step with some others we've watched with disdain. Canadians have been left with party choice of leadership being picked from the cadre of poor performers and basically anonymous faces from the back rows and the ultimate leader decided upon by which of them we think will be the least bad of a terrible bunch.

I confess to being prone to allowing my "personal" set of benchmarks skewing my voting pattern. Harper's arrogance and seeming "bored with it all" mien just grated on me. Trudeau presented a fresh face and at first impression, he offered up a clean slate of "let's talk". Now we're seeing his "chip off the old block" DNA rising to the fore without any of the political 'savvy' his father was very adept at employing to avoid stepping in it.

Trudeau's choice of Governor General being "optically pleasing" at the outset but coming back to show us just how mistaken 'appearances' can be, to his seemingly "I'm as surprised as you are about now finding out I was in a terrible conflict of interest ramming through a selection of WE and using paid family member speaking engagements to tout their good works".

Here we go again with another episode of "cripes; is this all we've got to choose from"?

I'm old and tired of it all and can readily see why people give up on the whole voting process altogether with a disgusted "what difference will it make?"

Last edited by BruSan; 10-02-2020 at 08:41 AM..

Old 10-02-2020, 08:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BruSan View Post

I'm old and tired of it all and can readily see why people give up on the whole voting process altogether with a disgusted "what difference will it make?"
Which of course is the most counter-productive and dangerous outcome possible. After all, voter abstinence is one of the main reasons the U.S. ended up with Trump.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada