Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-14-2020, 02:07 AM

1 posts, read 982 times

Advertisements

Hello everyone, I am moving from Ontario (Sault Ste. Marie) to Saskatchewan, for a job (not professor) at the University of SK in Saskatoon. It's a great opportunity but I'm a bit unsure what to expect. Could you give me any advice on moving to the province?

The few things I know about Saskatchewan are from watching Corner Gas. Obviously I'm gonna be in a much bigger city though but in general how do you like Saskatchewan and what advice would you give to a newcomer?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-14-2020, 06:00 AM

2,317 posts, read 1,485,470 times
the CFL and the Riders are more important than you might expect. I ve never lived there but my wife is from Regina

Old 08-20-2020, 07:25 AM

318 posts, read 173,803 times
I was born and raised in Saskatchewan, left when I was 17 to move to to Manitoba where I spent 12 years, then I came back. I love Saskatchewan but someone from Ontario might have a hard time...

The Roughriders are religion here. CFL is much more prominent here than NFL.

It gets damn cold in the winter. The winter wind can be intense.

People despise the East and resent the way the federal government is run. We feel like a colony. Seperatist sentiments are high.

We hate the Liberal Party and Justin Trudeau.

People in Saskatchewan are generally nice and easy-going.

Old 08-20-2020, 08:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PassionateNortherner View Post
I was born and raised in Saskatchewan, left when I was 17 to move to to Manitoba where I spent 12 years, then I came back. I love Saskatchewan but someone from Ontario might have a hard time...

The Roughriders are religion here. CFL is much more prominent here than NFL.

It gets damn cold in the winter. The winter wind can be intense.

People despise the East and resent the way the federal government is run. We feel like a colony. Seperatist sentiments are high.

We hate the Liberal Party and Justin Trudeau.

People in Saskatchewan are generally nice and easy-going.
that completely describes my in laws and everyone I know living in Regina

the other thing that cannot be ignored and was a massive shock to me visiting from Eastern Ontario is the aboriginal population. I don't want to start an argument here about politics of Aboriginal rights issues, BUT I had never seen so many people living in squalor you just don't see those social issues in Ottawa to the same extent you do in Regina, there are certain neighborhoods that you just don't go to

Old 08-27-2020, 06:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by porterjack View Post
that completely describes my in laws and everyone I know living in Regina

the other thing that cannot be ignored and was a massive shock to me visiting from Eastern Ontario is the aboriginal population. I don't want to start an argument here about politics of Aboriginal rights issues, BUT I had never seen so many people living in squalor you just don't see those social issues in Ottawa to the same extent you do in Regina, there are certain neighborhoods that you just don't go to
The same situation exists in Winnipeg and Edmonton on an even larger scale. Winnipeg in particular there are some parts of the city which could rival any American ghetto. A lot of this can be traced to 1885 and the events which took place after the Northwest Rebellion after Riel and several Metis and First Nations leaders were hung for treason in Regina. Back when Canada "purchased" Rupert's Land (Western Canada) from Britain and the Hudson's Bay Company and attempted to re-settle it (there were already plenty of First Nations, Metis, French and other settlers there) they did many horrible things, including (in tandem with the American government) slaughtering over a million bison to starve First Nations people out so they would agree to go onto reserves and free up the good farmland for white settlers. If you read up on the history of the reserve system, especially on the prairies, you will see how horrible it was and how it contributed to the current problems now. Living in the conditions they did with a complete lack of freedoms and forced to attend residential schools away from their families where they were abused badly, led to many having issues with drugs and alcohol and struggling with mental illness. Many of these people ended up in the poor parts of the cities which remain impoverished, dirty and crime-ridden today.

Old 08-28-2020, 03:16 AM

7,233 posts, read 9,205,954 times
Quote:
The same situation exists in Winnipeg and Edmonton on an even larger scale. Winnipeg in particular there are some parts of the city which could rival any American ghetto. A lot of this can be traced to 1885 and the events which took place after the Northwest Rebellion after Riel and several Metis and First Nations leaders were hung for treason in Regina. Back when Canada "purchased" Rupert's Land (Western Canada) from Britain and the Hudson's Bay Company and attempted to re-settle it (there were already plenty of First Nations, Metis, French and other settlers there) they did many horrible things, including (in tandem with the American government) slaughtering over a million bison to starve First Nations people out so they would agree to go onto reserves and free up the good farmland for white settlers. If you read up on the history of the reserve system, especially on the prairies, you will see how horrible it was and how it contributed to the current problems now. Living in the conditions they did with a complete lack of freedoms and forced to attend residential schools away from their families where they were abused badly, led to many having issues with drugs and alcohol and struggling with mental illness. Many of these people ended up in the poor parts of the cities which remain impoverished, dirty and crime-ridden today.
I've never heard that the Canadian government killed bison in order to starve out Indians. In 1877 under the North-West Territories Act, Canadian government passed the Buffalo Preservation Law according to these old newspaper stories. https://allaboutbison.com/bison-in-h...anada-history/

Old 08-28-2020, 08:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by netwit View Post
I've never heard that the Canadian government killed bison in order to starve out Indians. In 1877 under the North-West Territories Act, Canadian government passed the Buffalo Preservation Law according to these old newspaper stories. https://allaboutbison.com/bison-in-h...anada-history/
What the Canadian government said and did were two different things. They passed laws for those in the East (Ontario, Quebec and Atlantic Canada) while doing pretty much whatever the hell they wanted out West. There is a lot of evidence showing that the government contracted out bison-killing to private companies. Some of the contracts were technically given by arm's-length "private" enterprises. The American government started this method first to clear land for settlers and the Canadian government basically copied them. There was a ton of resistance to the Canadian government acquiring the West and they went to a lot of effort to "tame" the Western population. Years ago I took a course called History of the Canadian West in university and one of our books for the course was all about the bison and included a lot of evidence of government involvement with the bison slaughter of the 1870s. I tried to find the book online just now but I can't.

Old 08-28-2020, 09:51 AM

14,633 posts, read 14,720,940 times
Quote:

......... Years ago I took a course called History of the Canadian West in university and one of our books for the course was all about the bison and included a lot of evidence of government involvement with the bison slaughter of the 1870s. I tried to find the book online just now but I can't.
That's okay if you can't find the book online. I'm interested to try to track it down and there's other ways to do that besides going online. What university was it, and what is the full name of the book, and the author's name if you can recall that? Do you recall if the book is a Canadian publication? Maybe the university published it? I know a lot of universities publish books for their own course materials.

Is this the course you took in university? Is it one of the books listed under required course materials as shown here? - https://www.athabascau.ca/syllabi/hist/hist338.php That's for AU but I see that UBC also offers the same course.

Last edited by Zoisite; 08-28-2020 at 10:12 AM..

Old 08-28-2020, 11:56 AM

7,233 posts, read 9,205,954 times
Quote:
What the Canadian government said and did were two different things. They passed laws for those in the East (Ontario, Quebec and Atlantic Canada) while doing pretty much whatever the hell they wanted out West. There is a lot of evidence showing that the government contracted out bison-killing to private companies. Some of the contracts were technically given by arm's-length "private" enterprises. The American government started this method first to clear land for settlers and the Canadian government basically copied them. There was a ton of resistance to the Canadian government acquiring the West and they went to a lot of effort to "tame" the Western population. Years ago I took a course called History of the Canadian West in university and one of our books for the course was all about the bison and included a lot of evidence of government involvement with the bison slaughter of the 1870s. I tried to find the book online just now but I can't.
The most I've come up with in trying to research this is that the Canadian government used the demise of the bison to "coerce indigenous people to comply with government settlement policy." I've come across similar sentiments on several websites and see mo reason to doubt that they took advantage of an existing situation.

https://indigenouspeoplesatlasofcana...bison-hunting/

Old 08-28-2020, 11:58 AM

this CBC link speaks to the US governments backing of Buffalo slaughter to quell the plains Indians

https://www.cbc.ca/history/EPISCONTE...0CH2PA2LE.html

Canada is mentioned but no direct reference to the government
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada