Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-24-2020, 08:44 PM

14,735 posts, read 15,006,450 times

Advertisements

Frustrated and desperate or not, frightened or mentally ill or not, death threats in their own right are not benign. They're extremist, frightening and still do substantial enough harm to the victims on the receiving end of the threats and harassment, as well as putting additional strain and expenses on civil services .

There's no valid or moral excuse for that kind of behaviour from anybody towards good people who are doing their best to guide, help and reassure everyone, including the people who are feeling frustrated and desperate.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-25-2020, 11:15 AM

2,114 posts, read 2,343,021 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoisite View Post
Frustrated and desperate or not, frightened or mentally ill or not, death threats in their own right are not benign. They're extremist, frightening and still do substantial enough harm to the victims on the receiving end of the threats and harassment, as well as putting additional strain and expenses on civil services .

There's no valid or moral excuse for that kind of behaviour from anybody towards good people who are doing their best to guide, help and reassure everyone, including the people who are feeling frustrated and desperate.
Totally agreed. Just because death threats generally are not acted upon does not mean that they should be totally disregarded. Most school shooters have left some kind of sign that they were about to do what they did. Some even posted their intentions on social media.

Old 09-25-2020, 01:32 PM

1,608 posts, read 1,483,839 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoisite View Post

Zoisite, I agree that sending death threats to people is not a valid pass time, but not everybody shares your view of Bonnie Henry.

A great many people are disturbed by her chosen methods of control, which they feel is less about controlling the spread of a virus and more about controlling the populace as a whole.

Many don’t wish to be tracked, traced, vaccinated, chipped, and monitored 24/7, which is where all this is leading and is already in place in many parts of the globe.

From multiple angles, the freedom of people is being drastically restricted. In most places (soon to be ALL places) one is not permitted to travel more than a short, designated distance from their home, to see and even embrace their family members, to buy what they need (including food and lifesaving medications) at what stores are still open, which purchases are ALL tracked now that all transactions are digital.

Freedom of expression is now severely curtailed, and censorship reigns supreme on social media.

I could go on....

Some people, apparently, mind living in a dictatorial regime, which is why we are seeing scores of demonstrations against it, and the Internet is a buzz with people making their sentiments known. It looks like the general unrest is going to get worse before it gets better, unfortunately.

Blessings!

Mahrie.

Old 09-25-2020, 03:31 PM

7,676 posts, read 5,519,883 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mahrie View Post
Zoisite, I agree that sending death threats to people is not a valid pass time, but not everybody shares your view of Bonnie Henry.

A great many people are disturbed by her chosen methods of control, which they feel is less about controlling the spread of a virus and more about controlling the populace as a whole.

Many don’t wish to be tracked, traced, vaccinated, chipped, and monitored 24/7, which is where all this is leading and is already in place in many parts of the globe.

From multiple angles, the freedom of people is being drastically restricted. In most places (soon to be ALL places) one is not permitted to travel more than a short, designated distance from their home, to see and even embrace their family members, to buy what they need (including food and lifesaving medications) at what stores are still open, which purchases are ALL tracked now that all transactions are digital.

Freedom of expression is now severely curtailed, and censorship reigns supreme on social media.

I could go on....

Some people, apparently, mind living in a dictatorial regime, which is why we are seeing scores of demonstrations against it, and the Internet is a buzz with people making their sentiments known. It looks like the general unrest is going to get worse before it gets better, unfortunately.

Blessings!

Mahrie.
When your actions don’t affect anyone else, I agree you have complete freedom.

However, most of us live in a society where our actions often affect others. Those others have rights too. Why should your rights be greater than theirs, particularly when your choice of actions may result in their deaths? Which is more important - your right to carelessly infect others or their right to life? Where rights are concerned, it’s a balancing act requiring judgment calls.

Old 09-25-2020, 04:58 PM

1,608 posts, read 1,483,839 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cdnirene View Post
When your actions don’t affect anyone else, I agree you have complete freedom.

However, most of us live in a society where our actions often affect others. Those others have rights too. Why should your rights be greater than theirs, particularly when your choice of actions may result in their deaths? Which is more important - your right to carelessly infect others or their right to life? Where rights are concerned, it’s a balancing act requiring judgment calls.

I agree with you completely and adhere to the philosophy:’I AM my brother’s keeper.’

Blessings!

Mahrie.

Old 09-26-2020, 10:15 AM

Quote:

I could go on....

Blessings!

Mahrie.
Mahrie, no disrespect intended but with regard to all that stuff that you posted above about people being disturbed about control tactics and conspiracy theories and tracking and freedom of expression and restrictions of freedoms and demonstrations and what other people think about all of it, whether they agree or disagree and yada yada yada

........ I have to tell you that with regard to people sending death threats which is a form of TERRORISM all of that other stuff is irrelevant to me.

I don't care. Seriously. I DO NOT CARE. None of those things, whether it's true or not, whether they are valid concerns or not ...... not one of those concerns are justifiable reasons for other people to enact terrorism in the form of death threats and those things should not be used as an attempted excuse for why some people are practising that kind of terrorism.

There are no excuses for such behaviour regardless of anybody's views about anybody or anything else no matter what is going on in the world.

Old 09-26-2020, 11:57 AM

18,504 posts, read 15,533,632 times
Quote:

I could go on....

Blessings!

Mahrie.
Sigh.

Why ON earth would a provincial health officer be trying to control the populace as a whole? It also belies the facts. Dr. Bonnie Henry has been criticized by some for NOT making masks mandatory, etc. Everything she has done has been based on science, and BC has had fewer restrictions than many jurisdictions.

AS for tracing, the apps are purely by choice. Pubs and restaurants take your name and number to notify you if someone who has the virus was there the day you were. I know I would want to know, wouldn't you?

Vaccinations work, end of story.

Chips LOL

Monitored 24/7 ? Are you being monitored 24/7? One can make an argument against camera's in public places, but I don't feel anyone in BC is being monitored 24/7. However that is an issue not related to this pandemic, as I've seen no increase in that regard.

Travel restrictions during a pandemic make sense. Surely you can't believe this is forever, and that restricting travel is part of some plan by the evil few in order to gain what?? It sounds like a conspiracy theory.

Prescription medications have always been tracked, even when you pay cash. As for digital transactions, I'm not sure what the alternative is if you don't want to use them and cash is refused. How on earth can a digital transaction occur without it collecting the information of who is buying, what is being sold and where. I suppose one could buy gift cards and use them.

Freedom of expression severely curtailed? But here you are, expressing yourself.

Dictatorial regime? Here in BC? Here in Canada?

I see all sorts of behaviours come out of the woodwork since the pandemic. I see adults who act like adults and understand that health professionals are doing their best with a NEW virus, and are trying to guide us safely through it.

I also see adults, who act more like children, and whine about having to clean their rooms, and wanting to stay out as late as possible because they don't like the rules, because they don't see the whole picture.

Last edited by Natnasci; 09-26-2020 at 12:27 PM..

Old 09-26-2020, 12:45 PM

7,304 posts, read 9,311,516 times
@Natnasci- What Mahrie voiced is exactly what I see on social media around here and what is voiced as a reason for not wearing masks. An awful lot of people correlate wearing masks to being chipped and the Anti Christ.

Old 09-26-2020, 12:51 PM

A New World Order of controlling masters and chipped slaves in the global game of thrones played by the antichrist and his minions, coming soon to a town near you! Time to run for the hills!

Old 09-26-2020, 12:52 PM

22,923 posts, read 15,476,114 times
It beggars the imagination as how people can get their knickers all twisted up over voluntarily answering questions for reasons of contact tracing while then blithely driving home in their Chevy/Buick/Cadillac cars with OnStar hooked up and tracing their whereabouts 24/7 to some service provider in Tennessee or even offshore.

Gads; even your celphones are transmitting your location every time they query another antenna. Your I-pads, even your wireless computer printer is broadcasting their location every time you turn the things on.

No different then going though the booking and boarding protocols for any mode of mass transit, be it train or plane; your location and destination is recorded.

All this fuss so some can make of themselves an issue where there isn't one. The very same personal data they would willingly hand over to every motel receiving desk without even questioning why, now it's suddenly an invasion of privacy with the very same freedom of choice made available at the outset; if you don't wish to divulge the info requested, don't attempt to enter the premises - easy peazy.

This is all being done for the very best of reasons; yours and others personal protection but for the last hundred years or more of signing a hotel/motel register giving your name and home address along with your car license plate number so that you can't skip out on the bill or your body can be identified should the place burn to the ground has been a matter of routine without nary a squeal of poutrage.

I'm flummoxed at all this silly infantile whining over the supposed conspiratorial loss of freedoms.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada