Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 11-30-2020, 10:49 AM
 
Location: Kalamalka Lake, B.C.
3,563 posts, read 5,386,030 times
Reputation: 4975

Advertisements

TD Bank, as we speak, is doing an investigation (20 days) on an "Amazon" debit from my pension accounts. (almost 500. Cdn.) I posting NOW before their investigation announces what TD plans to do. I noticed within six hours that the debit was a known Fraud label, and googled TD and Fraud immediately. Apparently TD in particular has been dealing with this stuff since the spring. Now, I not only don't use my debit card, I have stand alone emails for ALL my four Cdn. CCards, AND do not cross contaminate ANY account that receives deposits, AND very rarely buy online. I also pack RFID cases and rarely pack more than ONE CC on me, and no one has been near my BUTT with their hands (Darn). I'm also self isolated and in an area so remote it's almost normal.

The Amazon debit fraud will show on your account as "AMZN Mktp CR_V" fyi. I is NOT related to Amazon in any way. I've never ordered from Amazon. Or anyone else online for that matter. Just watch out. Even for all the cautions I've taken for forty years this happened, we'll see how TD handles it. I've never had a returned check from TD or any other financial "incident" in forty plus years. My accounts are so old (how old are they?0 that even TD's software can't tell how old they are.

"Film at eleven". Be safe out there.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 11-30-2020, 11:23 AM
 
6,844 posts, read 3,973,754 times
Reputation: 15859
I'm in NJ. I had two online fraud incidents in the past 10 years and TD handled it quickly each time. They cancelled my debit card number on the phone and issued me a new card at the bank in a few minutes. The bank employee said it was a common occurrence. I didn't lose any money. Just yesterday I stopped payment on a check over the phone with TD. The check never arrived in the mail so I figured it was worth the $30 fee to stop payment. I switched to TD about 10 years ago because Chase dragged their feet when I noticed an online fraud. They wanted to wait until all the charges hit before they would do anything. I figured by that time my pension deposit would be gone. TD has always been very responsive over the phone and in person.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-30-2020, 12:30 PM
 
Location: ottawa, ontario, canada
2,407 posts, read 1,586,018 times
Reputation: 3122
currently waiting for TD to refund me $ 57 form a door dash fraud, been two weeks now since i reported it, it was a debit to my wife's card, bank cancelled and replaced her card same day and claim door dash is a common problem and they opened an investigation
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-30-2020, 06:02 PM
 
7,490 posts, read 4,969,830 times
Reputation: 8036
Be careful with TD bank services.
If there's one thing Sheila Levy-Bencheton took for granted, it's that the safety deposit box her father rented from a big bank was secure. That's until her dad passed away in 2017 at age 103.

The Toronto woman went to TD Canada Trust to empty the box a few months later, and discovered the bank had already done it years ago — forcing it open by drilling the lock then emptying the contents.
...

Suraj Khatiwada of Edmonton is still missing his wife's 22-karat gold wedding bangles, necklace and wedding ring after TD Canada Trust also "inadvertently" opened his safety deposit box without his permission.
https://www.cbc.ca/news/business/saf...ents-1.5814592
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-30-2020, 06:32 PM
 
Location: Kalamalka Lake, B.C.
3,563 posts, read 5,386,030 times
Reputation: 4975
TD's software must need updating and seems to be missing something. So do a lot of Canadian companies like Loblaws' EVEN THOUGH they have their own coding and computer depts. Their "answer" in a few days begs the question no matter what: They indicate that in the twenty day response time they "may" honour checks coming in. "May" doesn't help. TD just bounced the ONE check that comes in ever month, and yes, they "credited" the 48 DOLLAR BOUNCE FEE immediately!, the first check returned on my accounts..........in over forty years. Thank you.

Next, their answer. Should be in a few days. I've moved my "kash" into the other accounts, but I'm an hour plus from the nearest branch. or I'd have done what Canadian are known for for 200 years: bury it in a mattress.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-30-2020, 06:36 PM
 
Location: Kalamalka Lake, B.C.
3,563 posts, read 5,386,030 times
Reputation: 4975
Default Hello, New Jersey

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobspez View Post
I'm in NJ. I had two online fraud incidents in the past 10 years and TD handled it quickly each time. They cancelled my debit card number on the phone and issued me a new card at the bank in a few minutes. The bank employee said it was a common occurrence. I didn't lose any money. Just yesterday I stopped payment on a check over the phone with TD. The check never arrived in the mail so I figured it was worth the $30 fee to stop payment. I switched to TD about 10 years ago because Chase dragged their feet when I noticed an online fraud. They wanted to wait until all the charges hit before they would do anything. I figured by that time my pension deposit would be gone. TD has always been very responsive over the phone and in person.
Yes, I'm in New Jersey as well. Cherry Hill branch gets my American pension. But even if the replacement debit (the UMBRELLA SHIELD, according to TD( is taken, I'm getting emails to my TD email site. Easy to spot, but thank goodness I've never cross contaminated my accounts in any way since computers were inveented!!

However, we now enter a new focus: why did this happen, and it's NOT going to happen again. No debit ever comes out of my pension accounts at any time. D
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-01-2020, 09:37 AM
 
6,844 posts, read 3,973,754 times
Reputation: 15859
Quote:
Originally Posted by thedwightguy View Post
Yes, I'm in New Jersey as well. Cherry Hill branch gets my American pension. But even if the replacement debit (the UMBRELLA SHIELD, according to TD( is taken, I'm getting emails to my TD email site. Easy to spot, but thank goodness I've never cross contaminated my accounts in any way since computers were inveented!!

However, we now enter a new focus: why did this happen, and it's NOT going to happen again. No debit ever comes out of my pension accounts at any time. D
My pension gets deposited in my checking account because we live on it. Since we have no credit card, we have a debit card on that same checking account. Nearly every purchase is made on that debit card, so I don't see how I could separate them.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-01-2020, 02:06 PM
 
Location: Kalamalka Lake, B.C.
3,563 posts, read 5,386,030 times
Reputation: 4975
Default You MAY have choices

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobspez View Post
My pension gets deposited in my checking account because we live on it. Since we have no credit card, we have a debit card on that same checking account. Nearly every purchase is made on that debit card, so I don't see how I could separate them.
What I would do is get a deposit CC and load the money onto it from your bank, OR if you have SS they have a CC that loads your pension. In any event, as data and tech. gets more and more complicated, I wouldn't leave yourself vulnerable, no matter the reason.

You can also immediately MOVE your pension funds coming in to a related savings account NOT on your debit card. There are lots of choices My American goes into a competely separate account. My tax return money, any rebates, and GST
quarterly in Canada, also goes into a separate account in the same bank. you can transfer between accounts without charge, and my TD USA I do transfers to/from countries also with no charge.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-02-2020, 08:26 AM
 
1 posts, read 1,240 times
Reputation: 15
I am a bit paranoid but I think it is a good habit to review all my bank accounts line by line each month. Even if there is no fraud, there might be some services I don't need on there which I can cancel.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-02-2020, 10:35 AM
 
Location: ottawa, ontario, canada
2,407 posts, read 1,586,018 times
Reputation: 3122
Quote:
Originally Posted by MBS-JonathanAlphonso View Post
I am a bit paranoid but I think it is a good habit to review all my bank accounts line by line each month. Even if there is no fraud, there might be some services I don't need on there which I can cancel.
i check my accounts every day
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2024, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Contact Us - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37 - Top