Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-12-2020, 03:17 PM

22,923 posts, read 15,477,951 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Urban Peasant View Post
What about insulting hockey?
We all know that's impossible as hockey is the perfect game.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-12-2020, 05:25 PM

5,527 posts, read 3,247,667 times
How about this one: the Avro Arrow deserved to be destroyed.

I keed, I keed.

Old 12-12-2020, 07:26 PM

22,923 posts, read 15,477,951 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Avondalist View Post

I keed, I keed.
That's a good one! You called it - I don't believe any Canadian was in favour of that Diefenbaker debacle.

Old 12-13-2020, 12:59 PM

26,874 posts, read 37,997,315 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Urban Peasant View Post
What about insulting hockey?
In some Canadian circles and locales it is perfectly acceptable and even en vogue to say hockey sucks, and to prefer something like basketball.

In this woke age hockey even gets grief for being too white and is suspected of white supremacy even.

Old 12-14-2020, 05:38 AM

2,390 posts, read 1,560,434 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post
In some Canadian circles and locales it is perfectly acceptable and even en vogue to say hockey sucks, and to prefer something like basketball.

In this woke age hockey even gets grief for being too white and is suspected of white supremacy even.
speaking as an immigrant from Europe who has only lived in Canada since 94 I think we put too much emphasis on Hockey as our sport to the detriment of developing skills and interest in other sports

Old 12-14-2020, 11:31 AM

7,363 posts, read 8,394,325 times
Quote:

True, and it is quite embarrassing.
https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/manit...ipeg-1.5094772

Quote:
Originally Posted by porterjack View Post
speaking as an immigrant from Europe who has only lived in Canada since 94 I think we put too much emphasis on Hockey as our sport to the detriment of developing skills and interest in other sports
I actually like the fact Canadians are very passionate about Hockey. The passion for Hockey actually produces results. I don't see it in any way as a detriment to other sports. Canada is passionate about other sports as well.

Old 12-14-2020, 03:47 PM

14,394 posts, read 11,232,217 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Avondalist View Post

I keed, I keed.

Old 12-16-2020, 05:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by UrbanLuis View Post
True, and it is quite embarrassing.
https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/manit...ipeg-1.5094772

I actually like the fact Canadians are very passionate about Hockey. The passion for Hockey actually produces results. I don't see it in any way as a detriment to other sports. Canada is passionate about other sports as well.
I don't see how we could have any other sport as culturally iconic. We invented the sport and while what happened with it professionally in this country kinda sucks, we're still an international power and excellent at developing dominant players. A Canadian also invented basketball (while living in the U.S.) and some Canadians lay claim to that but really the world sees it as an American sport. (No, the Raptors don't really counter that perception much.)

And basketball and also soccer are growing fast in Canada and arguably eating away at hockey's domination. These sports will be fine.

So no I don't find there is too much focus on hockey in Canada.

Since it's something uniquely Canadian (at its origins anyway) I actually wish it were more like Aussie rules football in Australia in a number of ways.

A long time ago ago I was overseas and saw a newspaper where they had an international sports section, and at the time the Calgary Flames were playing the Montreal Canadiens for the Stanley Cup (a long time ago, as I said!), and the story was listed under a "U.S. Sports" heading with an American flag. Guess it was a sign of things to come.

Old 12-16-2020, 08:13 AM

7,363 posts, read 8,394,325 times
Quote:
I don't see how we could have any other sport as culturally iconic. We invented the sport and while what happened with it professionally in this country kinda sucks, we're still an international power and excellent at developing dominant players. A Canadian also invented basketball (while living in the U.S.) and some Canadians lay claim to that but really the world sees it as an American sport. (No, the Raptors don't really counter that perception much.)

And basketball and also soccer are growing fast in Canada and arguably eating away at hockey's domination. These sports will be fine.

So no I don't find there is too much focus on hockey in Canada.

Since it's something uniquely Canadian (at its origins anyway) I actually wish it were more like Aussie rules football in Australia in a number of ways.

A long time ago ago I was overseas and saw a newspaper where they had an international sports section, and at the time the Calgary Flames were playing the Montreal Canadiens for the Stanley Cup (a long time ago, as I said!), and the story was listed under a "U.S. Sports" heading with an American flag. Guess it was a sign of things to come.
Yeah that I agree. It was porterjack that said we focus too much on Hockey.

Old 12-16-2020, 10:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by UrbanLuis View Post
Yeah that I agree. It was porterjack that said we focus too much on Hockey.
Yes, I was agreeing with you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada