Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-03-2008, 10:04 PM

48,502 posts, read 96,823,165 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrooklynDan View Post
I wanted to correct a couple things.

Even if the U.S. government gave the oil companies carte-blanche to drill any where they wanted, it wouldn't have an effect on the oil price spike. It would only be a drop in the bucket to make up for the steepening decline in oil production from other domestic (U.S.) wells, in Mexico, Norway, Indonesia, the UK, Nigeria and elsewhere. Add to that shortfall, the fact that Saudi Arabia, Iran and the Gulf States are also choosing as a matter of national policy to keep more of their production at home for domestic development and economic diversification (so they will have functional economies after they run out of oil), so they are exporting less as well.

Secondly, even if those domestic (U.S.) oil fields that are currently off limits for environmental reasons could be exploited, we don't have the refining capacity to turn it into gasoline, so it would never make it to the pump. The oil refineries haven't invested their record profits in building new and more modern refinery capacity, which is why we see gas price spikes any time there is a refinery fire in Houston or hurricane in the Gulf.

The sad fact is that that new oil finds are not making up for the old fields that are drying up. By the year 2030, the world will need 12 million barrels a day more than it can produce, even if all the worldwide proven reserves produced at peak (which is a doubtful scenario). And mainstream oil analysts expect anywhere from $6-15/gal gas in the US followed by rationing within a decade. But the constant drum beat you're hearing from analysts about falling production hasn't seemed to penetrate public consciousness, yet.

The tree huggers make an easy and satisfying, though simplistic target, but ignore the global forces at work here which are beyond the control of any government. The fact is, we are going to have to change our lifestyles.

(Google "Peak Oil" read the news pages and you'll see that this is being reported in mainstream publications like the Wall Street Journal and CNBC. Also see, See: The Oil Drum | Discussions about Energy and Our Future which is a news clearing house and discussion group on energy production.)

But methnol is even a bigger drop in the bucket and cost more to produce and now problems wihjt veg=hcles using 10% bland are showup.But evn if the increased drilling acounted for the same as the gulf of mexico oil that would be 20% . That is a sugifcant increase on dependency.I think it can be more than that if you look at all teh soast line off limits.The next gulf oil will be deep water anfd that wil be much more expensive oil that the near coast oil.ANWR; the 655 of coastal not explored and deep water gulf can really be much closer to being indepndent form foreign exports.Every country but us is doing ti and just as countries like france keep using nuclear and have 78% of their electiricity from it. We are doing the same thing to ourselfs with oil. It will take years to get it on line so we had better start before countries keep their oil for self consumption as many are doing with food now.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-03-2008, 10:23 PM

48,502 posts, read 96,823,165 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrooklynDan View Post
I wanted to correct a couple things.

Even if the U.S. government gave the oil companies carte-blanche to drill any where they wanted, it wouldn't have an effect on the oil price spike. It would only be a drop in the bucket to make up for the steepening decline in oil production from other domestic (U.S.) wells, in Mexico, Norway, Indonesia, the UK, Nigeria and elsewhere. Add to that shortfall, the fact that Saudi Arabia, Iran and the Gulf States are also choosing as a matter of national policy to keep more of their production at home for domestic development and economic diversification (so they will have functional economies after they run out of oil), so they are exporting less as well.

Secondly, even if those domestic (U.S.) oil fields that are currently off limits for environmental reasons could be exploited, we don't have the refining capacity to turn it into gasoline, so it would never make it to the pump. The oil refineries haven't invested their record profits in building new and more modern refinery capacity, which is why we see gas price spikes any time there is a refinery fire in Houston or hurricane in the Gulf.

The sad fact is that that new oil finds are not making up for the old fields that are drying up. By the year 2030, the world will need 12 million barrels a day more than it can produce, even if all the worldwide proven reserves produced at peak (which is a doubtful scenario). And mainstream oil analysts expect anywhere from $6-15/gal gas in the US followed by rationing within a decade. But the constant drum beat you're hearing from analysts about falling production hasn't seemed to penetrate public consciousness, yet.

The tree huggers make an easy and satisfying, though simplistic target, but ignore the global forces at work here which are beyond the control of any government. The fact is, we are going to have to change our lifestyles.

(Google "Peak Oil" read the news pages and you'll see that this is being reported in mainstream publications like the Wall Street Journal and CNBC. Also see, See: The Oil Drum | Discussions about Energy and Our Future which is a news clearing house and discussion group on energy production.)

elven of you take the 65% of coastal US that is off limits we will be alot more energy independent than with the effects of methnol which is more expensive and never will supply more than 10%. The gulf of mexico supplies 20% with just the near coast and there is now deeper water oil that will come into play in 10 years. If we can drill ANWR and the other 65% we will be much more energy independent by as much as 50%.If other countires that produce start cutting off exports for their own use as they are doing with food crops now we will be hurting in the future.We are doing the same thing we did with nuclear power for electricity that we did 25 years ago which others kept up with. France now produces 78% of their electricity from nuclear. We are setting our selfs up for a big fall in the future.Just last night there was a report on 10% methnol additive fuel about engine problems being noticed by mechanics.They were showing the carbon buildup and oil sludge buildup.That was normal cars with 10% not flex-fuel vehicles with 85% mind you. Is the governamnt responsible since they mandated the use if it becomes a big problem, We already see Consumer reports test on E85 verus reg gas in which they got 27% less mileage from a tank with E85 in same flex-fuel vehicles.The methnol industry was claiming 20% less mileage.That means the 10% mandated which congress is not seeming to increase ;will not give 10% results.As far as the refining capacity;you obviously are not aware of either the large expansion going on a several refineies that will double their refining capacity in the next ten years or the testimnoy from experts to congress that the refining capicaity is more than enough with this to keep up with any fuure oil production and they don't think the money is wisely spent on more.They say in the furue we will not need this capacity so they can get back to more nroaml and safer 80-85% production in refining.I agree that the US reached peak production in the 60's and the world in the 70's but their is still alot of oil that we need and besides even this is based without knowing the remaining reserves in saudi because they will not disclose this information.Of course that was before the petrobras oil fields discovery off the coast of Brizil and is based on known fields.They are estimates withoout knowing what is in many off limit areas. Ask any environmantal groups and they will say their is none or very little when even the oil producers do not know.Often you get varied views from different groups many that know nothig about oil and have a agenda. Reguardless we need to become more energy independent and nuclear and more oil will be vidal in the near future.It takes time to bring a filed intop preoduction like the deep gulf oil is as much as 5-10 years away.We can make do wih less oil but if we are cutoff now then we are indeep do-do and will be more than ever hoping canada will keep supplying us;when we are unwilling to explore our areas.

Last edited by texdav; 06-03-2008 at 10:40 PM..

Old 06-04-2008, 10:07 AM

17,998 posts, read 9,057,515 times
Arrow America Pollutes More Than Canada

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lake12 View Post
Do you honestly think Canada is any different? Canadians pollute more per capita than Americans do. Guess what- in my neighborhood here, it's all SUVs, pickups, and minivans too! Maybe you should try driving in Toronto or any other Canadian city and see all the cars sitting in long traffic jams burning fossil fuels.

You sound like a typical US-liberal who believes "everything is better outside America" but really have no clue.

And what are you doing at a gas-station on a bike?
for your information bucko! Americans pollute more than anyone in the world! Not Canadians pay attention!! i have driven in cities that are worse than Toronto like Chicago, Houston,Dallas,NYC,Baltimore-D.C. area they are much worse.

I believe that somethings are better outside America wait wait... no all things are better outside America! i mean just look at our criminal justice system, government,healthcare,education,environment,traffi c, our government ranks among the lowest when it comes to how we protect and care for children, mentally and physically handicapped, and elderly.

our government worries more about a bad batch of Bologna than the things that really matter! they would rather be watching Entertainment Tonight and see what is going on in Hollywood,who got arrested,who had a baby,who is getting a divorce, who was murdered, than come up with a health care program that would insure all americans who arent insured.

I forgot to clarify i use my bicycle for short trips. i use my Toyota Prius for when i have to make long-distance trips.thats why i was at the Gas Station.

Old 06-04-2008, 05:46 PM

315 posts, read 1,624,624 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gdude View Post
I believe that somethings are better outside America wait wait... no all things are better outside America!
You should move.

Old 06-04-2008, 07:43 PM
DRD

37 posts, read 124,718 times
There are 3.78 litres to an American gallon and 4.5 to an Imperial gallon.

Old 06-05-2008, 10:53 AM

9,019 posts, read 14,283,943 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gdude View Post
for your information bucko! Americans pollute more than anyone in the world! Not Canadians pay attention!!
You should have paid attention to two little words; per capita

Old 06-07-2008, 04:44 PM

4,537 posts, read 6,797,020 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mackinac81 View Post
I think a lot of the fury in the states is the speed with which it has gone up. In Michigan Gas is up 70 cents from a year ago at this time. Our wages haven't gone up at this rate. Combine that with high food prices and we just feel squeezed.

And in America we've suburbanized our cities so much that we almost have to use a car. Bike lanes and sidewalks are scarce in many areas, and nobody is going to put their safety at risk biking on a four lane road with no sidewalk.
Here in Connecticut we have seen gas go up over a dollar in the past few months. $4.30 for regular. Over $5 now for diesel. I paid under $3 a gallon in New Hampshire in January.

I do consider myself fortunate that I live in a small city where nearly everything I need is within 3 miles from my home. I can even walk to a grocery store or the commuter lot to catch a bus into our state capital of Hartford, Connecticut.

The heating oil issue is another story. Again, fortunately I spent extra effort insulating and quality building techniques when building my home 13 years ago so that I only use 600 to 650 gallons of oil to heat my home a year. But many of my friends and co-workers that live in one of the many historical homes built in the late 1800s and early 1900s are not that fortunate. They are using 3 or 4 times the quantity of fuel to heat their smaller homes and find themselves unable to afford the expensive renovations required to improve energy efficienc. Nor can they sell their home for in many cases the mortgage balance is higher than the market value because of market conditions coupled with reduced demand for less efficient homes.

So financially this is a problem especially for colder climate homes that face depreciating prices at the same time as rapidly rising operating costs.

BTW, the same holds true for the SUVs. They have depreciated in price so severely that the most people can't trade them in for what they owe on their loan balance.

Old 06-11-2008, 01:03 PM

178 posts, read 584,465 times
Cheap gasoline has allowed developers in the U.S. to run hog wild with sprawl and way the heck out there bedroom communities far from workplaces. This is why we have people sitting in traffic for hours each day to commute long distances from their single family home to work. The major cities in Canada are generally much more like New York or San Francisco in that they have promoted higher density in the city areas and a workable mass transit system. Just visit Seattle and Vancouver BC (a mere three hours apart) to see how vastly different and less sprawly the Canadian city is...and more geared to pedestrians. A few smaller U.S. cities like Portland Oregon saw this sort of thing coming years ago and acted proactively to build density and mass transit in the city limits but most acted by building more and more freeways and roads and sprawling farther and farther out. See the book Suburban Nation for an excellent look at the process.

There was an excellent article in some newspaper recently on why gas prices are still so low in the U.S...low compared to most of Europe that is. The unfortunate thing is that the gas situation seems to have spiralled so relatively suddenly for most consumers leaving them in a bit of a pickle with no relief in sight. Real estate prices leave many people with a choice between a small apartment in the city vs. a SFH in the burbs and most people are simply not willing to give up that 'american dream' of the house and lawn and settle for the more compact living style that many Europeans (and Canadians) have been content with for years.

It seems that a tipping point has finally been reached with many Americans who formerly laughed at the little smart car and small New York City living quarters finally realizing that SUV's and the suburban lifestyle comes at a cost. Although it could be argued that developers/auto companies are simply selling people what they want, I do feel that they share a brunt of the responsibillity in relentlessly selling an environmentally unsustainable lifestyle to us all.

Last edited by argo69; 06-11-2008 at 01:15 PM..

Old 06-11-2008, 07:16 PM

681 posts, read 2,912,407 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by argo69 View Post
Cheap gasoline has allowed developers in the U.S. to run hog wild with sprawl and way the heck out there bedroom communities far from workplaces.
.......... it could be argued that developers/auto companies are simply selling people what they want, I do feel that they share a brunt of the responsibillity in relentlessly selling an environmentally unsustainable lifestyle to us all.
I know its popular to blame others for society's woes. And I partially agree with argo69. But it seems to me that local, state and federal legislators and planning/land use officials share an equal - or maybe larger - share of the blame for urban sprawl in the US, as well as does each voter who's ignored those issues at the polls the past several decades, especially since they've been brought up so often by the MSM.

We ignore empowering good government by voting in hacks and then complaining later because the outcome doesn't suit us. Go figure. If developers and auto companies are truly evil, simply ban them. Don't complain because they lawfully give us what we want. That's almost inane. In my view.

Old 06-11-2008, 09:53 PM

4,657 posts, read 8,709,848 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by argo69 View Post
Cheap gasoline has allowed developers in the U.S. to run hog wild with sprawl and way the heck out there bedroom communities far from workplaces. This is why we have people sitting in traffic for hours each day to commute long distances from their single family home to work. The major cities in Canada are generally much more like New York or San Francisco in that they have promoted higher density in the city areas and a workable mass transit system. Just visit Seattle and Vancouver BC (a mere three hours apart) to see how vastly different and less sprawly the Canadian city is...and more geared to pedestrians. A few smaller U.S. cities like Portland Oregon saw this sort of thing coming years ago and acted proactively to build density and mass transit in the city limits but most acted by building more and more freeways and roads and sprawling farther and farther out. See the book Suburban Nation for an excellent look at the process.

There was an excellent article in some newspaper recently on why gas prices are still so low in the U.S...low compared to most of Europe that is. The unfortunate thing is that the gas situation seems to have spiralled so relatively suddenly for most consumers leaving them in a bit of a pickle with no relief in sight. Real estate prices leave many people with a choice between a small apartment in the city vs. a SFH in the burbs and most people are simply not willing to give up that 'american dream' of the house and lawn and settle for the more compact living style that many Europeans (and Canadians) have been content with for years.

It seems that a tipping point has finally been reached with many Americans who formerly laughed at the little smart car and small New York City living quarters finally realizing that SUV's and the suburban lifestyle comes at a cost. Although it could be argued that developers/auto companies are simply selling people what they want, I do feel that they share a brunt of the responsibillity in relentlessly selling an environmentally unsustainable lifestyle to us all.
I wish we had a puking emoticon. Your smarmy self righteous attitude isn't indicative of most Canadians, thankfully. Like Calgary and Southern Ontario don't have sprawl. Gimme a break.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada