Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-08-2021, 01:32 PM

22,923 posts, read 15,531,406 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post
There is no Krispy Kreme in Ottawa?
I was going to ask the same thing but have since learned they're perhaps not as popular as they once were.

https://krispykreme.ca/find-a-store/

We used to have one each in Kitchener and Waterloo but they appear to be both gone now.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-08-2021, 01:35 PM

2,408 posts, read 1,590,102 times
Quote:
There is no Krispy Kreme in Ottawa?
Oh I'm sure there is, but my wife is convinced they have to be bought on US soil

Old 03-08-2021, 01:51 PM

26,883 posts, read 38,134,600 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by porterjack View Post
Oh I'm sure there is, but my wife is convinced they have to be bought on US soil
Yeah, I understand how she feels.

Certain things just taste better in the U.S., even if they're available in Canada.

Like pancakes at any of the big breakfast chains: IHOP, Perkins, Denny's...

Or those biscuits at Red Lobster.

And of course St-Hubert always tastes better in Quebec!

Old 03-08-2021, 01:59 PM

18,504 posts, read 15,611,211 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by porterjack View Post
The link BruSan provided doesn't list an Ottawa location.

In Canada there are currently 6 in Toronto and area, one in Montreal and one in Quebec City.

The only other one is in Delta, a suburb of Vancouver.

They also had more locations here that closed. My guess judging from the first time someone brought a box of them into our office, is that they are way, way too sweet. I couldn't finish mine, almost made my teeth hurt.
That was the general consensus, so we never had them again.

Then again, I'm not a fan of Tim Horton's. I guess I'm a doughnut snob

The rare time I have one, I get it from a family run place that has been in business for 42 years.
They make them the old fashioned way, denser than the above doughnuts, and in one location only.

Old 03-08-2021, 02:04 PM

Quote:
Yeah, I understand how she feels.

Certain things just taste better in the U.S., even if they're available in Canada.

Like pancakes at any of the big breakfast chains: IHOP, Perkins, Denny's...

Or those biscuits at Red Lobster.

And of course St-Hubert always tastes better in Quebec!
Don't know what Perkin's is, but I find the opposite. I wonder if it's regional. The pancakes at IHOP and Denny's, here seem better quality. The ones I've had on the road in the US seemed lighter, the egg yolk colour is pale etc.

Now one chain restaurant that I like in the US and wish we had them here is an Italian place called Maggiano's. The food is excellent.

St-Hubert, yum. Haven't had that in a while. Maybe you should open a franchise here in Vancouver

Old 03-08-2021, 02:14 PM

7,363 posts, read 8,435,713 times
St Hubert and Au Coq are ok, but Bbq Cote St luc is head shoulders above the rest. lol.

I wish we had "La belle province" chain here. One of the best fast food chains in Canada(possibly the best). There was one near to where I worked that served breakfast. I also lived a block away from one for a couple of years. I ate there a little too often when I was single living in MTL.

Old 03-08-2021, 02:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by UrbanLuis View Post
St Hubert and Au Coq are ok, but Bbq Cote St luc is head shoulders above the rest. lol.

I wish we had "La belle province" chain here. One of the best fast food chains in Canada(possibly the best). There was one near to where I worked that served breakfast. I also lived a block away from one for a couple of years. I ate there a little too often when I was single living in MTL.
A very popular chain that started out here in Vancouver in 1928 is White Spot. They started with a drive-in with and a large dining room, and now are all over BC and a bit in Alberta.

They are know for having a good variety menu and good quality food, not just burgers.

They have an offshoot of small burger places called Triple O.

The offshoot Triple O is now opening up locations in Toronto. It won't be the full White Spot experience, but at least they'll get the burgers.

It's iconic out here, and also have the contract to have restaurants on the BC Ferries.

https://www.whitespot.ca

Old 03-08-2021, 02:47 PM

26,883 posts, read 38,134,600 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UrbanLuis View Post

Yeah generally those local places are the best.

Chalet BBQ on Sherbrooke near Décarie is also really good. Friends of mine live nearby and swear by it.

Old 03-08-2021, 02:58 PM

7,363 posts, read 8,435,713 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Natnasci View Post
A very popular chain that started out here in Vancouver in 1928 is White Spot. They started with a drive-in with and a large dining room, and now are all over BC and a bit in Alberta.

They are know for having a good variety menu and good quality food, not just burgers.

They have an offshoot of small burger places called Triple O.

The offshoot Triple O is now opening up locations in Toronto. It won't be the full White Spot experience, but at least they'll get the burgers.

It's iconic out here, and also have the contract to have restaurants on the BC Ferries.

https://www.whitespot.ca
Thanks for the link. Will try when I'm out that way.

Quote:
Yeah generally those local places are the best.

Chalet BBQ on Sherbrooke near Décarie is also really good. Friends of mine live nearby and swear by it.
Oh yeah chalet BBq is awesome. I love it. It is as good BBq cote st luc, possibly better. I actually found chalet bbq fries, coleslaw and salads better. I recommend both if you are ever in that area.

Here in Wpg the classic local chain is Georges. Its ok, not the best. There are other places I find better like red top. If anyone is ever in WPG and wants a great burger I recommend the red top. Their fries and coleslaw are really good to.

Old 03-08-2021, 03:15 PM

565 posts, read 674,471 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Natnasci View Post
The link BruSan provided doesn't list an Ottawa location.

In Canada there are currently 6 in Toronto and area, one in Montreal and one in Quebec City.

The only other one is in Delta, a suburb of Vancouver.
Actually there are 3 in Montreal. One in Côte-des-Neiges, one in the city centre on Ste-Catherine, and one in Greenfield Park on the South Shore.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada