Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-08-2021, 08:58 PM

14,735 posts, read 15,033,548 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by markjames68 View Post
It’s not necessarily moot because when you have fully vaccinated Americans they’re thinking “why not Canada” - but now that the CDC is warning Americans not to travel to Canada, and if they do to get tested several days after returning home that tells me things are bad in Canada and the variants are spreading.

2 more days and I get my 2nd Pfizer shot. In 2 weeks I’m going to go out to dinner for the first time since a year ago.
I can understand why Urban Peasant thought it was a bit moot, since even if fully vaccinated Americans are thinking "lets visit Canada" they still wouldn't be allowed to visit Canada if they wanted to anyway since Canada isn't allowing visitors and won't be allowing it for the foreseeable future. But everyone does need to know that so I think those guidelines in the CDC notification are aimed mainly at Americans who are travelers who must travel to Canada for essential reasons and they would still be required to get tested after returning to America, vaccinated or not.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-08-2021, 09:31 PM

3,661 posts, read 2,945,273 times
Well my fellow Americans, its sad to say for us we will never get to step foot in Canada till 2024 or 2025. Thats just a top of my head guess. We will always have our neighbors to the South, the land of tacos and anything goes for an quick international getaway.

Old 04-09-2021, 12:31 AM

3,602 posts, read 2,307,469 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Urban Peasant View Post
Yes, you are right he lives in Melbourne. You are also right that the radial limit was 5k from home so I unintentionally exaggerated in my post above to be but nevertheless 5 kilometers, which is about 3.1 miles, is not a lot of territory. You're pretty much stuck in your own neighborhood and while it's manageable for a month or two, I'd imagine it would cost a fortune for the authorities to enforce the restrictions on a longer term basis. Anyways, I heard that Ontario is attempting something similar so good luck to them.
I think it took 112 days for the restrictions to be substantially lifted but they got the cases down to zero. The biggest cost, I imagine, was policing the borders with the neighbouring states. Most people were very compliant and very determined to win back their freedom.

Their pain has been the rest of the country’s gain. Whenever there has been a minor outbreak since then the response has been that we must do as asked as we do not want to end up like Melbourne. I mean, I was in Brisbane two weeks ago when they had an outbreak of, I think about eight cases. They went into a lockdown for two and a half days and I had to go into lockdown in Sydney as I had been in Brisbane the week of the outbreak. Nobody policed it but I felt obliged.

I really hope Ontario has the same success as Melbourne. It will make it worthwhile, for sure. FWIW my close friend in Melbourne was in despair during the lockdown, not so much for the restrictions in themselves but because of the apparent total mismanagement of so many things by the government.

Old 04-09-2021, 12:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 87112 View Post

Well my fellow Americans, its sad to say for us we will never get to step foot in Canada till 2024 or 2025. Thats just a top of my head guess. .....
You could be right about that guess of yours ..... but what reasons would you and your fellow Americans have to be sad about it?

Old 04-09-2021, 05:02 AM

2,400 posts, read 1,567,184 times
Quote:
Well my fellow Americans, its sad to say for us we will never get to step foot in Canada till 2024 or 2025. Thats just a top of my head guess. We will always have our neighbors to the South, the land of tacos and anything goes for an quick international getaway.
this land is your land as woody Guthrie wrote...………...explore the US you have all kinds of diverse geography to explore, from the pacific NW to the dry deserts in the SW. you can imagine being on an international trip without leaving your own country

Old 04-09-2021, 12:12 PM

18,504 posts, read 15,552,312 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoisite View Post
You could be right about that guess of yours ..... but what reasons would you and your fellow Americans have to be sad about it?

My American friends, who love to visit and explore Canada are sad that they can't visit.

They understand of course, but like all of us, wish for the days when we could either plan trips with ease, or suddenly on a whim, go on a road trip.

Sure there are lots of places in the world to travel to, but many travel to see family and friends. That is what I miss most.

Old 04-09-2021, 01:07 PM

9,182 posts, read 12,126,828 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoisite View Post

People have relatives and friends. Is this not a reason to go to another country? Feels like many people (mainly retired and those that have reliable jobs from home) like the way things are now and they prefer this kind of life with all of these restrictions since it barely affects their lifestyles.

Old 04-09-2021, 04:58 PM

14,394 posts, read 11,245,044 times
Quote:
Hopefully won’t take until then.

US is 20.2% fully vaccinated, 34.1% with one dose.

Canada’s up to 17.3% with one dose, 2% fully vaccinated.

I think 2022 sometime looks more likely.

Old 04-09-2021, 05:06 PM

9,182 posts, read 12,126,828 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by markjames68 View Post
Hopefully won’t take until then.

US is 20.2% fully vaccinated, 34.1% with one dose.

Canada’s up to 17.3% with one dose, 2% fully vaccinated.

I think 2022 sometime looks more likely.
Canada is ignoring the science on the 2nd dose. Nobody knows how that will affect immunity.

https://financialpost.com/diane-fran...n-second-doses

Old 04-09-2021, 06:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Botev1912 View Post

People have relatives and friends. Is this not a reason to go to another country? ......
I don't know. Is that the only reason? Not everybody in America has relatives and friends in Canada. What other reasons might there be for Americans to be sad if they can't visit Canada for another 3 or 4 years?

I mean, when most Americans express their opinions about Canada they're most often saying that Canada isn't on their radar, that they never think anything about it at all and don't want to think about it, except to occasionally offer threats or their disdainful criticisms of everything they think they know about Canada. That occurs more often than not on City Data forum and on social media and the comments sections of the press.

So if Canada isn't on most Americans' radar except to criticize it or try to threaten or attempt to demoralize Canadian people and tell them they're cowards (like what happened here yesterday in the church thread) - then why would they be sad about being deprived of being allowed to visit it?

Isn't the reason mainly because they've been told that no, they are not allowed and they don't ever like to be thwarted and told NO by anyone?

Why do you suppose that last spring and summer Canada eventually had to initiate such outrageous fines, and criminal charges, bans and expulsions of Americans who came into Canada under false pretenses of going to or from Alaska and refused to take no for an answer?

I know there's lots of really very nice, accepting Americans who have family here and are familiar and friendly towards Canada and her people and are understanding about Canada's situation right now. But I don't believe most other Americans without loved ones in Canada would be sad about Canada being off limits to them, more likely they'd just be angry about being told NO and get in a snit about it and say "Oh well, we can just go down to Mexico and raise hell there instead". Like what was stated above in this thread.

Sorry, I ain't buying the sadness schtick. The only people I sympathize with are those that actually do have beloved family members and sweethearts in Canada, so I'm accepting that as a good reason for their sadness. Maybe some of them can use the money they'd otherwise use for travelling to Canada to pay to bring their Canadian loved ones down to them in America for a visit instead.

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada