Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-08-2021, 05:28 PM

14,735 posts, read 15,038,045 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbgusa View Post
Sort of my thoughts, though I was hoping with a vaccine passport it might be open. There's really no reason other than politics for it not to be.
There is no such thing as a vaccine passport for Canada but I think it won't be much longer for there to be an international vaccine passport in the works. However I still don't believe something like that would happen before the end of summer. The proposal in re: international vax passport is only just now coming under serious discussions in recent days with Canadians and with Canada's international allies. The majority of Canadians are in approval about it.

This news article about it is from 4 days ago so it's relatively up to date on the subject: https://www.ctvnews.ca/politics/cana...deau-1.5413894

Last edited by Zoisite; 05-08-2021 at 05:44 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-08-2021, 07:22 PM

2,869 posts, read 5,137,197 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Botev1912 View Post
There is no reason to be restricted if you have been vaccinated. Vaccinated people in Canada have started complaining that they still have to quarantine and lock down even if they are fully vaccinated. Their life is restricted solely for political reasons.
Do you have a link for that "complaining"? At the moment, only 3% of Canadians have been fully vaccinated. In my province (Quebec), out of 170,000 fully vaccinated people, there are 95,000 health care workers and 30,000 residents of long-term care facilities. You think these people are complaining about restrictions?

Old 05-09-2021, 01:02 AM

3,624 posts, read 3,411,405 times
Quote:
Their life is restricted solely for political reasons.
There is nothing political about the reaction in Canada. When the Liberal Prime Minister of Canada agrees with the Conservative premier of Ontario, and both agree with the United Conservative premier of Alberta and the NDP premier of BC, then how can it be political? All politicians, provincial and federal, regardless of party, are united in the approaches they are taking towards alleviating the pandemic.

Not everything is political, and the various Canadian governments' approaches don't seem to be. But just because I'm curious--what federal or provincial political goals and gains do you see resulting from these lockdowns? Another election win, really? From voters who have become unemployed because of government pandemic reaction policies, small business owners who have lost their businesses owing to government shutting them down so often, or voters who are just plain fed up with this "open today, closed tomorrow, who knows what the day after tomorrow" political stuff? I sure as hell don't see any political gain from lockdowns. Today's leaders may become yesterday's news at their next elections, but right now, they're playing the hand that they were dealt.

Last edited by ChevySpoons; 05-09-2021 at 01:53 AM..

Old 05-09-2021, 06:37 AM

88,584 posts, read 84,795,337 times
Quote:
Sort of my thoughts, though I was hoping with a vaccine passport it might be open. There's really no reason other than politics for it not to be.
It will take a while to put a vaccine passport into place. It says right on the Canadian government website under the rules for travel to Canada that at this time the vaccine does not exempt one from the requirements.

It's not just politics. It's that a fifth-grader could fake a vaccination card in minutes. It's also that while we who are vaccinated are listed in a database SOMEWHERE, that information would have to be made available to a foreign country. Are you OK with your personal information being handed out that way?

In the future, it may be possible for an individual to agree to release the information for travel, or there might be some kind of "vaccine passport", but as a lawyer, you know what it would take to put such a system in place.

Right now those of us with loved ones in Canada have to submit notarized paperwork, wait for authorization to just travel to the border, then make our case for entry at the border with a quarantine plan--and they do check up on you to make sure you are complying--and jump through hoops just to be able to see them. As a matter of fact, they've added a few more hoops since I last entered the country in November, and vaccinations don't figure into it at all. Did you really think that while we have to go through all that your sister would just be waved through for the sake of taking a shortcut?

Old 05-09-2021, 08:05 AM

35,067 posts, read 17,014,369 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cdnirene View Post
What politics would that be? I’m genuinely curious.

It’s the Conservative Premier of Ontario whose pushing for even stronger US/Canada border restrictions right now. Trudeau is pushing back on that.

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/toron...ford-1.6008575
Doesn't mean he's not a control freak or that restrictions are not aimed at Trudeau. In the U.S. conservatives were pro-vaxx before January 20 and now are anti-vaxx. Trump had to come out and urge people to get jabbed. Government types like to control.

Quote:
There is no reason to be restricted if you have been vaccinated. Vaccinated people in Canada have started complaining that they still have to quarantine and lock down even if they are fully vaccinated. Their life is restricted solely for political reasons.
Exactly. In the U.S. restrictions are starting to come off because people have "had enough."

Old 05-09-2021, 09:09 AM

7,680 posts, read 5,529,153 times
Quote:
Doesn't mean he's not a control freak or that restrictions are not aimed at Trudeau. In the U.S. conservatives were pro-vaxx before January 20 and now are anti-vaxx. Trump had to come out and urge people to get jabbed. Government types like to control.

Exactly. In the U.S. restrictions are starting to come off because people have "had enough."
The restrictions are meant to reduce deaths and prevent our hospitals from being swamped with patients. Most Canadians are in favor of that, not just politicians. Imagine that, Canadian politicians doing what Canadians want. What you as an American want is irrelevant. You don’t elect our politicians.

Old 05-09-2021, 09:23 AM

32,650 posts, read 48,040,180 times
Quote:
......Exactly. In the U.S. restrictions are starting to come off because people have "had enough."

Just because some people have had enough in the USA that doesn't obligate Canada to turn you loose to do whatever you want in Canada.

It's their country and their border. They will decide without any input from inconvenienced vacationers from the US.

Old 05-09-2021, 09:24 AM

3,661 posts, read 2,947,010 times
Makes me wonder what happened to Mexico. The country has the same " sorry we are closed for business" sign on its borders but any American and come and go with a flash of documents since covid started . They are not having the same explosion of cases as Canada and I am sure plenty of anti vaxxers no mask wearers, are entering the country for whatever reason.

Your lockdowns did not work all this time Canada. They still won't.

Old 05-09-2021, 10:27 AM

3,973 posts, read 5,770,752 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cdnirene View Post
The restrictions are meant to reduce deaths and prevent our hospitals from being swamped with patients. Most Canadians are in favor of that, not just politicians. Imagine that, Canadian politicians doing what Canadians want. What you as an American want is irrelevant. You don’t elect our politicians.
I would imagine if Trudeau tried to throw open the border tomorrow without any consultation, there'd be a riot unlike anything seen since 1838 and he'd have to take refuge south of the border like William Lyon Mackenzie did nearly two centuries ago. OK, I am only jesting but he and his government would definitely receive a vote of no confidence and lose badly in the next elections.

Old 05-09-2021, 12:41 PM

14,735 posts, read 15,038,045 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 87112 View Post
Makes me wonder what happened to Mexico. The country has the same " sorry we are closed for business" sign on its borders but any American and come and go with a flash of documents since covid started . They are not having the same explosion of cases as Canada and I am sure plenty of anti vaxxers no mask wearers, are entering the country for whatever reason.

Your lockdowns did not work all this time Canada. They still won't.
Canada isn't Mexico. You're comparing apples to oranges. Canada recognizes your pain and frustration with Canada but it's not our problem.

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada