Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-19-2021, 07:11 PM

3,973 posts, read 5,770,752 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoisite View Post
They have been becoming more and more pissed off about the excessive pressure (translates to bullying and coercion) that is being put on Canada lately by American governors in border states and elsewhere who have been insisting that Canada should open the border (for various reasons) to visiting Americans who have been vaccinated twice...

An analogy to your point is an aggressive boyfriend banging on his reluctant girlfriend's door and demanding she open the door and commit to him right then and there. I do not opine that the governors are that desperate though. You should always take the words of public officials with a grain of salt. Part of a politician's job description is to speak rhetorically to rouse their constituents and sometimes they do have to make that someone else (in this instance, Canada) look like the bad guy. Canadian politicians do the same thing too. While New York Representative Brian Higgins, representing the Buffalo-Niagara Region, is clamoring to reopen the border, Ontario Premier Doug Ford is demanding tighter border restrictions and blames the rise in Ontario's Covid numbers on too many people coming in and out of Ontario via New York. Now think for a moment, if either of them kept their mouths shut, would it really change the situation in any way?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-19-2021, 07:44 PM

35,064 posts, read 17,006,525 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Urban Peasant View Post
Ontario Premier Doug Ford is demanding tighter border restrictions and blames the rise in Ontario's Covid numbers on too many people coming in and out of Ontario via New York. Now think for a moment, if either of them kept their mouths shut, would it really change the situation in any way?
Posturing against the big, bad U.S. is as old as the hills for Canadian politicians, both federal and provincial.

Old 05-19-2021, 09:23 PM

14,735 posts, read 15,038,045 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Urban Peasant View Post
An analogy to your point is an aggressive boyfriend banging on his reluctant girlfriend's door and demanding she open the door and commit to him right then and there. I do not opine that the governors are that desperate though. You should always take the words of public officials with a grain of salt. Part of a politician's job description is to speak rhetorically to rouse their constituents and sometimes they do have to make that someone else (in this instance, Canada) look like the bad guy. Canadian politicians do the same thing too. While New York Representative Brian Higgins, representing the Buffalo-Niagara Region, is clamoring to reopen the border, Ontario Premier Doug Ford is demanding tighter border restrictions and blames the rise in Ontario's Covid numbers on too many people coming in and out of Ontario via New York. Now think for a moment, if either of them kept their mouths shut, would it really change the situation in any way?
I don't think it would change the situation if either of them kept their mouthes shut or continued with the tiresome ragging on each other.

I think (and really hope) the door will remain shut to everybody until it's been deemed that herd immunity has been reached in Canada and the majority of Canadians can feel comfortable about saying "okay, we think it's safe enough for all Canadians to take off the masks and get close to each other now" and after that's been tested out to everyone's satisfaction, to then and only then feel comfortable to say "okay, we think it's safe enough to open our door to the rest of the vaccinated world now."

Old 05-19-2021, 09:51 PM

3,661 posts, read 2,945,273 times
Where was the uproar by Americans when Canadiens snowbirds were let in this past winter?

Is escaping snow and cold weather to Florida, Arizona, and CA considered essential? You did not hear Americans say get out of here did you? We welcomed you! Now that its travel season and we just want to go up to Canada for a day trip or a few days there is a lot of complaining! So let me get this straight, you want to come to America but Americans can't enter Canada. Even fully vaccinated ones.

This past winter Canadiens covid infested could come in no questions asked. All you had to say was I am escaping winter and I want in.

https://www.ctvnews.ca/health/corona...tels-1.5384927

How is that being fair ? Whatsoever

Old 05-19-2021, 10:10 PM

7,680 posts, read 5,527,864 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 87112 View Post
Where was the uproar by Americans when Canadiens snowbirds were let in this past winter?

Is escaping snow and cold weather to Florida, Arizona, and CA considered essential? You did not hear Americans say get out of here did you? We welcomed you! Now that its travel season and we just want to go up to Canada for a day trip or a few days there is a lot of complaining! So let me get this straight, you want to come to America but Americans can't enter Canada. Even fully vaccinated ones.

This past winter Canadiens covid infested could come in no questions asked. All you had to say was I am escaping winter and I want in.

The U.S. is responsible for controlling its own border. Don’t blame Canadians for the asinine decisions the U.S. government decides to make. And no, I did not want to go to the U.S. I have done no traveling in the past year by choice.

Old 05-19-2021, 11:00 PM

Quote:

That doesn't have anything to do with fairness.... nor with tit for tat and you rub my back and I'll rub your back.

That's all about a certain small group of idiot Canadians who only cared about themselves having fun in the sun. They have no regard for their own safety or for the health and welfare of their American hosts who wanted and invited them to come. And apparently America didn't care about it's own health and welfare either.

You are exactly right to ask "Where was the uproar by Americans when Canadian snowbirds were let in this past winter?"

Were the Canadian snowbirds pounding on America's door demanding "let us in! let us in! Or we'll huff and we'll puff til we blow your house down!" ??? Were they doing that? I don't recall hearing anything about Canadians making such demands of America, because they never needed to demand anything.

Snowbirds were strongly discouraged by Canada from leaving Canada, but they can't be forcibly stopped from leaving so some of them went anyway because they're idiots. The non-idiot snowbirds stayed home.

So why was there no uproar from Americans? Why did America deliberately keep the door open and the welcome mat out tempting and inviting the idiot snowbirds to come in the first place?

Isn't it more a case of those idiot snowbirds giving in to being tempted to throw all caution to the wind and were allowing themselves to endanger their own lives and the lives of the hosts who wanted them to come and spend money? It's always all about the money, isn't it? What other reason could there be for America allowing such a health risk to be welcome?

Again I ask, why did America deliberately put itself and its own people at higher risk with the door open and the welcome mat out in the first place?

Thank heavens that the idiot snowbirds who allowed themselves to be tempted are not representative of all the many, many, many more responsible, conscientious Canadians who made the sensible decision to stay home during a pandemic.

Last edited by Zoisite; 05-19-2021 at 11:32 PM..

Old 05-20-2021, 12:17 AM

7,363 posts, read 8,405,340 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cdnirene View Post
More AZ vaccine is being shipped to the various provinces this week. Scroll down to the last table on this page:

https://www.canada.ca/en/public-heal...e-rollout.html

to see how much is being shipped to each province.

Strangely, the page isn’t being kept up to date on Pfizer doses. The extra 1.5 million Pfizer doses being shipped late this week to the provinces isn’t reflected on the Pfizer table.
Thanks for sharing.

I heard on the news today that some pharmacies still have AZ vaccines that need to be used up quickly. So some people might get their second AZ dose sooner then expected. Also people will be able to book their second dose of pfizer and moderna vacs starting this friday. So thats all good news.

Old 05-20-2021, 02:16 AM

3,602 posts, read 2,307,469 times
Quote:
I truly don't believe in media announced surveys. Who has ever audited a survey? 73 percent might be 93 percent or 23 percent as far as I can tell. For me to believe that its 73 percent seems far fetched.

I don't think Canadiens are truly that negative and trust the government that much to keep them " safe ". The government is not your mother people. Trust yourself and your own actions, let me choose to go near people or not. If the border is opened up and I am not comfortable stay 10 feet away and wear 2 mask. Let the businesses have a chance to make money opening up. Opening up means only for now vaccinated people, if even that scares well what can I say.
Interestingly here there has been a big increase in trust of the government here during the pandemic. The harshest government during this time, Western Australia, had an overwhelming victory in the recent election.
The fact is that people here will not accept the idea of needing to wear two masks. Mostly, we have not worn any.
The vaccination program is really ramping up right now. There will be a path forward but not quite yet. Canada will obviously have its own path and no nation wants another to dictate theirs.

Old 05-20-2021, 10:52 AM

22,923 posts, read 15,489,598 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoisite View Post
That doesn't have anything to do with fairness.... nor with tit for tat and you rub my back and I'll rub your back.

That's all about a certain small group of idiot Canadians who only cared about themselves having fun in the sun. They have no regard for their own safety or for the health and welfare of their American hosts who wanted and invited them to come. And apparently America didn't care about it's own health and welfare either.

You are exactly right to ask "Where was the uproar by Americans when Canadian snowbirds were let in this past winter?"

Were the Canadian snowbirds pounding on America's door demanding "let us in! let us in! Or we'll huff and we'll puff til we blow your house down!" ??? Were they doing that? I don't recall hearing anything about Canadians making such demands of America, because they never needed to demand anything.

Snowbirds were strongly discouraged by Canada from leaving Canada, but they can't be forcibly stopped from leaving so some of them went anyway because they're idiots. The non-idiot snowbirds stayed home.

So why was there no uproar from Americans? Why did America deliberately keep the door open and the welcome mat out tempting and inviting the idiot snowbirds to come in the first place?

Isn't it more a case of those idiot snowbirds giving in to being tempted to throw all caution to the wind and were allowing themselves to endanger their own lives and the lives of the hosts who wanted them to come and spend money? It's always all about the money, isn't it? What other reason could there be for America allowing such a health risk to be welcome?

Again I ask, why did America deliberately put itself and its own people at higher risk with the door open and the welcome mat out in the first place?

Thank heavens that the idiot snowbirds who allowed themselves to be tempted are not representative of all the many, many, many more responsible, conscientious Canadians who made the sensible decision to stay home during a pandemic.

That is a very accurate assessment of the situation.

Americans, friends of ours in Az. and Fla., we've been in constant contact with assure me that except for very close friends of visiting snowbirds or those totally dependent upon the tourist dollars to survive; most were of a mind that snowbirds from ALL points north should stay the heck home where they belong.

Of course there wasn't the widespread acceptance of this pandemic being as serious as depicted by Americans until they started seeing those pics of the refrigerated trailers full of corpses waiting for disposal in New York.

The first instances of Floridians resenting northerners from flocking south were NOT directed towards Canadians but those folks coming from New York and it gradually grew from there.

"Welcoming" had more to do with their economic requirements than anything to do with personally liking snowbirds, particularly Canadians.

I bristled at those Canadians going down there and expressing an opinion they should be given immunization opportunities parallel to, and in concert with Americans. That's just plain mind boggling in it's arrogance.

The older I get however, the less I'm being surprised by these embarrassing events.

Old 05-21-2021, 12:33 AM

Border restrictions have been extended for another month again:
https://www.ctvnews.ca/health/corona...e-21-1.5433345

Quote:
.....“We’re all eager to get back to normal, but we know that before we get back to normal cases need to be under control and over 75 per cent of people (Canadians) need to be vaccinated for us to start loosening things in Canada,” ......
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada