Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-21-2021, 02:11 AM

3,593 posts, read 3,330,269 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoisite View Post
Border restrictions have been extended for another month again ....
Really, why don't they just shut down the border for another six months? Or twelve months? That way, if things get better, and they can open earlier, we feel like we're getting a break. But this "one month at a time before getting your hopes dashed yet again" stuff is getting old.

I'm resigned to the fact that I will likely not be able to visit friends in the US until this time next year, at the earliest. Why can't the Canadian government call a spade a blankety-blank shovel, and just say, "The border will be closed for another year," instead of holding out the "one month at a time" carrot?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-21-2021, 02:34 AM

7,639 posts, read 5,410,687 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChevySpoons View Post
Really, why don't they just shut down the border for another six months? Or twelve months? That way, if things get better, and they can open earlier, we feel like we're getting a break. But this "one month at a time before getting your hopes dashed yet again" stuff is getting old.

I'm resigned to the fact that I will likely not be able to visit friends in the US until this time next year, at the earliest. Why can't the Canadian government call a spade a blankety-blank shovel, and just say, "The border will be closed for another year," instead of holding out the "one month at a time" carrot?
I suspect the month to month rollover was designed originally as a compromise to placate the Trump administration. I don’t think the US was in favor of shutting the border at all but felt they had to follow suit, at least with the land border, because Canada was determined. However, it was always very obvious that the Canadian government had no intention of opening the border until infections were under control. I’m not sure why you thought differently, particularly when the polls showed strong approval for the shutdown?

Old 05-21-2021, 07:00 AM

443 posts, read 272,836 times
Canada now passes the US in vaccinations

Old 05-21-2021, 07:13 AM

3,847 posts, read 5,244,251 times
Quote:

Also, still no quarantine exemption for the fully vaccinated. Including returning Canadian citizens.

Way to trust the science.

Old 05-21-2021, 08:33 AM

3,593 posts, read 2,852,552 times
I think Trudeau just does not like being told want to do. If no one pressured him to open up, the border would have been opened up to fully vaccinated Americans by now. Its a one person show.

Old 05-21-2021, 09:21 AM

9,182 posts, read 12,052,983 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trojan1982 View Post
Canada now passes the US in vaccinations
With one dose. Full vaccination is months away.

Old 05-21-2021, 10:08 AM

18,492 posts, read 15,337,259 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cdnirene View Post
I suspect the month to month rollover was designed originally as a compromise to placate the Trump administration. I don’t think the US was in favor of shutting the border at all but felt they had to follow suit, at least with the land border, because Canada was determined. However, it was always very obvious that the Canadian government had no intention of opening the border until infections were under control. I’m not sure why you thought differently, particularly when the polls showed strong approval for the shutdown?
The US also goes along with a month to month schedule. I wonder if it was part of an agreement to revisit the situation every month, and as you say, was done to appease the Americans. A bit of false hope?

Old 05-21-2021, 10:44 AM

7,639 posts, read 5,410,687 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Natnasci View Post
The US also goes along with a month to month schedule. I wonder if it was part of an agreement to revisit the situation every month, and as you say, was done to appease the Americans. A bit of false hope?
To be honest, I think it was all about Trump’s ego. If Canada shut its border, and the US did nothing in return, Trump might have perceived that he would look weak. Trump would consider insisting on a monthly review a “win”. Trudeau was content to give Trump that win illusion. That’s my take anyway. Now with the vaccinations, a monthly review is beginning to make sense but I very much doubt the border will be open before August at the earliest. September is more likely.

Last edited by cdnirene; 05-21-2021 at 10:53 AM..

Old 05-21-2021, 01:26 PM

87,949 posts, read 83,773,798 times
Quote:

I read somewhere that Parliament only has the authority to close the border for one month at a time. Not going to swear that this is true, just that I read it last year, and I don't remember where.

Old 05-21-2021, 01:27 PM

87,949 posts, read 83,773,798 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Botev1912 View Post
With one dose. Full vaccination is months away.
Yep. My S.O. got his first dose in April (Moderna). He had to drive an hour to get it. His second dose is scheduled for August.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada