Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-11-2021, 10:00 AM

14,735 posts, read 15,016,027 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 87112 View Post
So it looks like Canada is doing what it can to prevent day trips up. I live close enough to go back and forth in one day, on the Arriv Can app I have meet every step to be let in for non essential purposes. The road block is still, even if you have a 72 hr negative covid test and of course fully vaccinated you will still need to provide a 14 day quarantine plan and a return home to USA as your plan is not acceptable as you can't type in a USA address.

I don't know of many day trippers willing can provide for themselves a potential 14 day quarantine in Canada when the smart thing to do is go HOME!

So it looks like Zoiste is going to be very happy that thousands of day trippers are not going to Canada for a very long time if ever.

I could put in some air b n b in Canada as my 14 day quarantine plan but I don't want to risk going to jail or ban from travel or a big fine for lying.

This is so not worth it anymore.
Uummm, yeah, that actually does pacify me a little bit.

Now then .....I wouldn't want you to think I'm feeling any sympathy for you or anything like that (cuz I'm not - I think trying to come on day trips right now is a thoughtless waste of time and money) but believe it or not when I read your post last night I did try to find out information for you about if there's any kind of loop hole for day trippers to legally get around that quarantine plan.

But I couldn't find anything for you and it looks like you are right at least for the time being, it does appear that even day trippers need to have the plan of a verifiable pre-booked, pre-paid 14 day quarantine at a government approved hotel in place. If you don't have it, you don't get in. I doubt that any air bnb anywhere would be acceptable as a substitute for an approved hotel, let alone the owners of such establishments even be accepting of such a plan for that matter. So you are right that it wouldn't be worth it for anyone wanting to visit for only one day or just a weekend.

I don't know if this is any mollification for you but if you'd been planning on spending a day in Vancouver sometime within the next 7 to 10 days you would have been utterly miserable anyway. Even as I'm typing these words another one of those horrible, hideous, horrific burning hot heat domes has just pulled into the parking lot and is parking itself directly on top of Vancouver and the whole lower mainland and the islands.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-11-2021, 10:05 AM

9,182 posts, read 12,121,823 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoisite View Post
Uummm, yeah, that actually does pacify me a little bit.

Now then .....I wouldn't want you to think I'm feeling any sympathy for you or anything like that (cuz I'm not - I think trying to come on day trips right now is a thoughtless waste of time and money) but believe it or not when I read your post last night I did try to find out information for you about if there's any kind of loop hole for day trippers to legally get around that quarantine plan.

But I couldn't find anything for you and it looks like you are right at least for the time being, it does appear that even day trippers need to have the plan of a verifiable pre-booked, pre-paid 14 day quarantine at a government approved hotel in place. If you don't have it, you don't get in. I doubt that any air bnb anywhere would be acceptable as a substitute for an approved hotel, let alone the owners of such establishments even be accepting of such a plan for that matter. So you are right that it wouldn't be worth it for anyone wanting to visit for only one day or just a weekend.

I don't know if this is any mollification for you but if you'd been planning on spending a day in Vancouver sometime within the next 7 to 10 days you would have been utterly miserable anyway. Even as I'm typing these words another one of those horrible, hideous, horrific burning hot heat domes has just pulled into the parking lot and is parking itself directly on top of Vancouver and the whole lower mainland and the islands.

You have to pre-pay 14 days at a government hotel just in case? These hotels don't exist anymore and why would you book a hotel if you don't need it? I don't really understand this. Makes no sense. But according to this, it does not have to be a hotel.

Quote:
Questions to answer for quarantine plan
For your quarantine plan, the border official will want to know:

Do you have a place where you can quarantine for 14 days or possibly longer?
What is the address of your quarantine location?
Can you avoid all contact with other people who didn’t travel with you at your place of quarantine?
Will you have access to basic necessities like food, medicine, and heat without leaving quarantine?
At your place of quarantine, are there any people who are at increased risk from COVID-19? This could include people age 65 years and older, people who have underlying medical conditions or compromised immune systems.
Are there people at that place who work in a facility where they may contact people who are at increased risk from COVID-19?
Whether your place of quarantine is a group living environment or multi-family household? Will there be roommates there who you cannot avoid who did not travel with you?
https://www.cicnews.com/2021/08/rule...html#gs.8pzo11

Old 08-11-2021, 10:15 AM

88,515 posts, read 84,705,921 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mels View Post
It had to be an "immediate family member" that you were crossing the border to see, and the relatives separated in my family did not meet that definition of spouse/child/parent. Unfortunately not all families are defined by neat little boxes! Not to mention the mandatory quarantine was a hindrance for many, both monetarily and logistically.
No, that is not correct. The exemptions for extended family members went into effect in October. Definition of who they are is listed on the IRCC website. It included committed partners of more than one year as well as grandchildren, etc. I entered Canada myself from the USA last November under that process and again in June. I am an American in a relationship with a Canadian.

There is a form IM006E that had to be notarized by the Canadian attesting to the relationship to the foreign national, and then the foreign national had to submit it to the IRCC. If approved, you got an email allowing to go to the border, but the CBSA had the final word. A quarantine plan was required as well as testing. You might want to familiarize yourself with the process for your family in case things turn sour and it closes again. Scroll down to Extended Family Members. It may not include everyone you are referring to, of course.

https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration....html#extended

Yes, the quarantine prevented many from taking advantage of the process.

Also check out the Faces of Advocacy page on FB, which petitioned the Canadian government for these exemptions last year.

Last edited by Mightyqueen801; 08-11-2021 at 11:45 AM..

Old 08-11-2021, 10:29 AM

14,735 posts, read 15,016,027 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Botev1912 View Post
You have to pre-pay 14 days at a government hotel just in case? These hotels don't exist anymore and why would you book a hotel if you don't need it? I don't really understand this. Makes no sense.
Well, I've been speculating about that and if I didn't miss or misinterpret something and I'm correctly comprehending the gov. websites I looked at last night then in a way it does kind of make sense to me that an effort is being made to discourage day trippers, but it's just my theory.

I'm thinking that in the true sense of the word 'worth', it wouldn't be worth it to Canada and Canadian businesses to make it easier for day trippers than it is for everybody else who's staying longer because day trippers simply won't generate enough revenue even if there are thousands of them. It's going to be the wealthy visitors who are coming for extended periods of time that generate the most revenue.

It's just tit for tat the way I see it. It's along pretty much the same principles that America has had in place all along for the past 16 months with only encouraging and allowing in wealthier Canadian visitors who are coming by plane. The Canadians who come by plane are spending more money just to get to America in the first place, they're most certainly staying longer than one day, and on a day to day basis they're spending really a whole lot more money daily than what would be spent by simple day trippers who don't have much money to spend and will skimp on their expenses.

Old 08-11-2021, 11:50 AM

7,309 posts, read 9,316,797 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 87112 View Post
So it looks like Canada is doing what it can to prevent day trips up. I live close enough to go back and forth in one day, on the Arriv Can app I have meet every step to be let in for non essential purposes. The road block is still, even if you have a 72 hr negative covid test and of course fully vaccinated you will still need to provide a 14 day quarantine plan and a return home to USA as your plan is not acceptable as you can't type in a USA address.

I don't know of many day trippers willing can provide for themselves a potential 14 day quarantine in Canada when the smart thing to do is go HOME!

So it looks like Zoiste is going to be very happy that thousands of day trippers are not going to Canada for a very long time if ever.

I could put in some air b n b in Canada as my 14 day quarantine plan but I don't want to risk going to jail or ban from travel or a big fine for lying.

This is so not worth it anymore.
I'm pretty sure it doesn't mean what you think it means. I think the quarantine plan is only for those who are planning lengthy vacations, and who, although vaccinated, develop symptoms or test positive. For one thing, the government websites say travelers can leave the country rather than quarantining. I would call Canadian Border services for clarification, because otherwise none of this makes any sense.

https://travel.gc.ca/travel-covid/tr...ntering-canada

Old 08-11-2021, 11:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoisite View Post
Well, I've been speculating about that and if I didn't miss or misinterpret something and I'm correctly comprehending the gov. websites I looked at last night then in a way it does kind of make sense to me that an effort is being made to discourage day trippers, but it's just my theory.

I'm thinking that in the true sense of the word 'worth', it wouldn't be worth it to Canada and Canadian businesses to make it easier for day trippers than it is for everybody else who's staying longer because day trippers simply won't generate enough revenue even if there are thousands of them. It's going to be the wealthy visitors who are coming for extended periods of time that generate the most revenue.

It's just tit for tat the way I see it. It's along pretty much the same principles that America has had in place all along for the past 16 months with only encouraging and allowing in wealthier Canadian visitors who are coming by plane. The Canadians who come by plane are spending more money just to get to America in the first place, they're most certainly staying longer than one day, and on a day to day basis they're spending really a whole lot more money daily than what would be spent by simple day trippers who don't have much money to spend and will skimp on their expenses.

OK, but this is not even the case for Canada as day trips are allowed. They just made the wording confusing.

Old 08-11-2021, 12:01 PM

And it seems as though there are problems with the ArriveCan app, so that might be why there were quarantine questions https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/toron...lers-1.6134745

Old 08-11-2021, 12:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by netwit View Post
And it seems as though there are problems with the ArriveCan app, so that might be why there were quarantine questions https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/toron...lers-1.6134745
Such a harassment. More stress is something nobody needs especially in these bad times.

Old 08-11-2021, 01:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Botev1912 View Post
Such a harassment. More stress is something nobody needs especially in these bad times.
If I were planning to cross, I think I'd wait until the initial rush is over and whatever problems have surfaced are fixed. And I'd be sure to use my inside voice with the border guards.

This is a Canadian and happened before the border opened to Americans but check out what happened to this man: https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.cbc.ca/amp/1.6135296

Old 08-11-2021, 01:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by netwit View Post
If I were planning to cross, I think I'd wait until the initial rush is over and whatever problems have surfaced are fixed. And I'd be sure to use my inside voice with the border guards.

This is a Canadian and happened before the border opened to Americans but check out what happened to this man: https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.cbc.ca/amp/1.6135296
Now this is cruel and should never happen. There is no humanity anymore.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada