Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-14-2022, 01:46 PM

507 posts, read 345,638 times

Advertisements

Some topics I am curious about regarding Southern Ontario ---

Ticks:
I know there are ticks in Ontario. Have you ever found one on you (or on your dog)? Know anyone who got Lyme disease? Would ticks only be a concern in forested and rural areas or is it something I'd also have to worry about in more densely populated settings?

Trees:
Are there areas where pines / evergreens are prevalent or will I mainly see broadleaf / deciduous trees throughout Southern Ontario? Will I have to go to a forest area to see pines or are they common in and near populated areas?

Water:
What are some spectacular swimming spots with really clean water? Besides Niagara Falls, any other waterfalls I should make sure to see? Any waterfall areas where I can get into the water?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-14-2022, 08:06 PM

1,551 posts, read 874,255 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tsitsipas View Post

Ticks:
I know there are ticks in Ontario. Have you ever found one on you (or on your dog)? Know anyone who got Lyme disease? Would ticks only be a concern in forested and rural areas or is it something I'd also have to worry about in more densely populated settings?

Trees:
Are there areas where pines / evergreens are prevalent or will I mainly see broadleaf / deciduous trees throughout Southern Ontario? Will I have to go to a forest area to see pines or are they common in and near populated areas?

Water:
What are some spectacular swimming spots with really clean water? Besides Niagara Falls, any other waterfalls I should make sure to see? Any waterfall areas where I can get into the water?
My knowledge is most prominent on trees. The further south you go the more deciduous dominant forests you'll see such as Point Pelee National Park on the southern end. The further north you go the more pines and evergreens you'll see mixed with broadleafs.

Old 03-14-2022, 09:11 PM

88,620 posts, read 84,875,076 times
Quote:

Ticks:

Trees:

Water:
There are 250,000 lakes in Ontario. I am pretty sure most of them have clean water, because I've passed a lot of them, but I have only gone swimming in one of them. And it is wonderful to swim in that one.

Found this for you.

https://www.narcity.com/toronto/thes...our-bucketlist

Last edited by Mightyqueen801; 03-15-2022 at 11:06 AM.. Reason: typo

Old 03-15-2022, 03:21 AM

3,627 posts, read 3,416,108 times
I don't think that you'll need to worry about ticks. When I was younger, my pets (cats and dogs) romped around the family property on Lake Simcoe, and never encountered ticks. I played golf on a nearby golf course, and often lost my golf ball in the forest rough, and while looking for it, never encountered ticks. My biggest worry was poison ivy. Ticks may have been there, but I never encountered any, and you'd never encounter ticks in an urban area.

Trees are mostly broadleaf in southern Ontario, but there are plenty of exceptions. Toronto has many ravine parks, where pines and spruce flourish, for example; and many counties have forest reserves where pines are encouraged--York Region, for example, has made an attempt to bring back its native pines. You can see them in their reserves, from Highway 48, as you travel north on Highway 48. And there are plenty of Christmas tree farms in southern Ontario, growing Balsam firs and spruces, proving that southern Ontario can grow such kind of trees. In short, evergreen trees grow all over southern Ontario, alongside broadleaf trees.

Water. Ontario is covered in so much water, that I don't know where to begin. Almost every lake in southern Ontario is clean enough to swim in--maybe not Hamilton Harbour, but just about everywhere else is fine. Lake Simcoe, Rice Lake, Balsam Lake, Oak Lake, Lake Scugog, the Muskoka Lakes--they're all fine. North of those, and they're just as clean, but a lot colder.

Old 03-15-2022, 05:23 AM

22,923 posts, read 15,502,847 times
Deer ticks on people or pets is something most southern Ontarians never think about, it is so infrequent an occurrence.

Although not confined to just southern Ontario, here's a link you might find useful by using your scroll wheel to click on any alphabetically listed lake name:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_lakes_of_Ontario

You will be somewhat amazed at the number of lakes in Ontario and I can add to that by saying the lists shown are not complete because a lake near me is not mentioned in the "B" list while being very popular among local cottagers and boaters; Lake Belwood.

https://www.grandriver.ca/en/outdoor...wood-Lake.aspx

And then there is this place a five minute drive away from me: https://www.grandriver.ca/en/outdoor...ra-Quarry.aspx

You will notice both are part of the Grand River Conservation authority. https://www.grandriver.ca/en/our-wat...Watershed.aspx

As is typical in most of Ontario; I can drive from one of those two posted links above swimming locationst to the other in less than 1/2 hour.

Last edited by BruSan; 03-15-2022 at 05:37 AM..

Old 03-15-2022, 10:55 AM

88,620 posts, read 84,875,076 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChevySpoons View Post
I don't think that you'll need to worry about ticks. When I was younger, my pets (cats and dogs) romped around the family property on Lake Simcoe, and never encountered ticks. I played golf on a nearby golf course, and often lost my golf ball in the forest rough, and while looking for it, never encountered ticks. My biggest worry was poison ivy. Ticks may have been there, but I never encountered any, and you'd never encounter ticks in an urban area.

Trees are mostly broadleaf in southern Ontario, but there are plenty of exceptions. Toronto has many ravine parks, where pines and spruce flourish, for example; and many counties have forest reserves where pines are encouraged--York Region, for example, has made an attempt to bring back its native pines. You can see them in their reserves, from Highway 48, as you travel north on Highway 48. And there are plenty of Christmas tree farms in southern Ontario, growing Balsam firs and spruces, proving that southern Ontario can grow such kind of trees. In short, evergreen trees grow all over southern Ontario, alongside broadleaf trees.

Water. Ontario is covered in so much water, that I don't know where to begin. Almost every lake in southern Ontario is clean enough to swim in--maybe not Hamilton Harbour, but just about everywhere else is fine. Lake Simcoe, Rice Lake, Balsam Lake, Oak Lake, Lake Scugog, the Muskoka Lakes--they're all fine. North of those, and they're just as clean, but a lot colder.
The lake I love is northwest of Simcoe (which, by the way, I just looked up on a map, and it looks huge!) and it's not as cold as people think, at least the bay on which my S.O. has his house. As a matter of fact, a few summers ago, it got really warm and there was this huge algae bloom off one side of the dock.

But it's cool enough, and I love to swim out and then just bob around or float, feeling away from any stress or trouble. The forested area across the lake from the house is Crown land, so it is all trees. I am pretty close to happy out there in the water, even in the times of difficulty I was dealing with last summer. It was my escape.

Old 03-15-2022, 12:29 PM

Thanks so much for the info and links!

Would you advise against swimming in Lake Ontario? Stick to the smaller lakes?

Old 03-15-2022, 01:03 PM

26,883 posts, read 38,059,497 times
Quote:

Water quality is generally well-monitored so just stick to where you see the locals swimming. Just that will give you tons of places to choose from and you won't have any worries.

Others have given you some ideas for lake beaches but I don't think anyone has mentioned Ontario's top beaches (at least that's always been my impression).

These would be Wasaga Beach on Georgian Bay (north of Toronto up Highway 400 and then you take a secondary highway to the beachfront town).

And the other is Sandbanks which is a couple of hours east of Toronto in the Picton area, but not too far off Highway 401.

I recommend at least looking up these two places.

Old 03-15-2022, 01:18 PM

2,801 posts, read 3,861,539 times
Quote:

I would never advise against swimming in Lake Ontario. It has some of the best beaches that aren’t on a sea or ocean. If a beach is open, it is safe to swim there. Usually signs will be posted at popular swimming spots if a beach is closed due to readings that show high levels of unsafe bacteria. I personally don’t swim in the GTA, but I know plenty of people who do and they’ve never had a problem. Outside of that, stick to the popular beaches (they are popular for a reason) and go on weekdays if you don’t like crowds or weekends if you don’t mind sharing the beach with others.

Swimming in the smaller glacial lakes of Cottage Country is its own experience, and one of my favorite summer activities. Nothing quite like getting on a paddle board and exploring a lake, taking a dunk when you get too hot, then getting back on the board and heading back to where you came from.

We really do have a slice of paradise here in Southern Ontario. Yeah, the winter sucks if you aren’t a winter person, but there is so much to see and do from May-November for those who don’t like the cold and/or snow.

Old 03-15-2022, 01:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TOkidd View Post
Swimming in the smaller glacial lakes of Cottage Country is its own experience, and one of my favorite summer activities. Nothing quite like getting on a paddle board and exploring a lake, taking a dunk when you get too hot, then getting back on the board and heading back to where you came from.

We really do have a slice of paradise here in Southern Ontario. Yeah, the winter sucks if you aren’t a winter person, but there is so much to see and do from May-November for those who don’t like the cold and/or snow.
The bolded is exactly what I love to do!
And the winter weather doesn't scare me off, I have enjoyed lots of cold and snowy locations - I find that with the proper attire it's no problem and often quite fun!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada