Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-17-2021, 11:29 AM

18,504 posts, read 15,555,283 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
B.C. looks beautiful to me, at least in photos I've seen! I hope to get out there someday. Ontario has lots of lakes and lots of rock and lots of trees, but no real mountains, at least not in the part I've been. Would like to see more of Canada coast to coast.
It is beautiful and has a variety of landscapes.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-17-2021, 11:49 AM

26,882 posts, read 38,032,223 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChevySpoons View Post
You know, the more I think about it, the more I realize that Canadian fast-food and family dining chains tend to be regional, not national, except in a few instances, such as Tim Hortons and Swiss Chalet.

Nat, I've never seen a White Spot east of BC.

Acajack, I've never seen a St. Hubert's west of Quebec, or in the Maritimes. There was that time it tried to expand into Ontario, but that didn't work, and it retreated back to Quebec.
"
There are no Swiss Chalets in Quebec. They did try to make it in Quebec at one point but it failed.

St-Hubert also attempted a foray into a large-ish swatch of Ontario at one point, and had restaurants in the GTA for example.

But St-Hubert retreated back into Quebec as you say, except for 2 restaurants in Ottawa, one in Cornwall. They also have a couple in New Brunswick.

I believe St-Hubert and Swiss Chalet are owned by the same company now.

Old 05-17-2021, 11:52 AM

Quote:

And Pizza Pizza. The Torontonian's go-to after a night of boozing. Open for delivery until 4:00 AM, and with a catchy jingle ("Nine-six-seven, eleven eleven, call Pizza Pizza, hey hey hey"), it spread through southern Ontario. Never really made it elsewhere, though the Pizza Pizza company did buy Pizza 73 here in Alberta, but kept the Pizza 73 brand and recipes.
"
Pizza Pizza has quite a presence in the Ottawa area too. They have a few locations in westernmost Quebec, in Gatineau, and also I think they may have a few in Abitibi in the NW.

But none elsewhere in Quebec.

Pizza Pizza once marketed itself as "Ontario's pizza" I think.

Quebec doesn't really have a province-wide pizza chain like Pizza Pizza, I'd say. Though there are a few city or regional ones.

Old 05-17-2021, 12:38 PM

2,400 posts, read 1,568,914 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post
There are no Swiss Chalets in Quebec. They did try to make it in Quebec at one point but it failed.

St-Hubert also attempted a foray into a large-ish swatch of Ontario at one point, and had restaurants in the GTA for example.

But St-Hubert retreated back into Quebec as you say, except for 2 restaurants in Ottawa, one in Cornwall. They also have a couple in New Brunswick.

I believe St-Hubert and Swiss Chalet are owned by the same company now.
Benny and Co which is QC based is now in Ottawa, my daughter works for them

Old 05-17-2021, 12:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by porterjack View Post
Benny and Co which is QC based is now in Ottawa, my daughter works for them
Yeah, Ottawa and especially Orleans is often the Ontario testing ground for Quebec chains. We also saw this with Chocolats Favoris and L'Aubainerie (rebranded as Aub55 or something like that) in recent years.

And Gatineau is often the Quebec testing ground for Ontario and ROC chains. Sometimes it works out, sometimes it doesn't.

Old 05-17-2021, 12:43 PM

Aside from Tim Hortons, probably the most successful Rest-of-Canada restaurant chain in Quebec is Boston Pizza.

They actually have a pretty good footprint from coast to coast.

Old 05-17-2021, 01:20 PM

7,363 posts, read 8,405,340 times
Yeah there are Boston Pizzas everywhere. I have never been to one though. One of the main owners of that chain was on the show " Dragons den". I would say that they have over taken Harveys and swiss chalet in the last decade or so.

Old 05-17-2021, 01:26 PM

3,624 posts, read 3,411,405 times
Quote:
... I did find a standalone [Harvey's] at West Edmonton Mall, and a standalone one in Lethbridge ....
Update: the Lethbridge Harvey's has closed. I was driving by there today, and the signage is gone, though you can see where it was, and the drive-thru is boarded up.

One less Harvey's in Alberta. Heavy sigh.

Old 05-17-2021, 06:37 PM

3,973 posts, read 5,770,752 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Urban Peasant View Post
7) On the contrary, don't treat anglophone Canada as such a foreign country that you'd have to pull out a "Canadian" dictionary (is there such a thing lol) or make pretend that you know so little that you're going to have a translator or tour guide to take you around. (Again Quebec may be an exception.)
I stand corrected. There actually is such a thing as a Canadian dictionary . I wonder how important it is to read up on the vocabulary presented. I think I'll purchase a copy and give it a try. I love dictionaries anyways.

https://www.oxfordreference.com/view...-9780195418163

https://www.theglobeandmail.com/arts...adian-english/

https://www.nytimes.com/2021/05/16/b...rber-dead.html

Old 05-17-2021, 07:01 PM

7,363 posts, read 8,405,340 times
Quote:
Update: the Lethbridge Harvey's has closed. I was driving by there today, and the signage is gone, though you can see where it was, and the drive-thru is boarded up.

One less Harvey's in Alberta. Heavy sigh.

Growing up the closest fast food chains to where I lived was a dairy queen and a harverys. Harveys is much better. I remember when they introduced poutine to the menu, LOL....... There was also an A&W in a near by mall food court but I would rarely ever eat there. McDonalds and Burger king were a bit of a hike from where I lived. SO harveys was the chain place to go......... but Pizza and donairs were the main thing we ate when hanging out. I have heard you can get east coast donairs in Alberta. We can't get them here at all....at least I haven't seen them anywhere.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada