Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-17-2021, 08:48 PM

3,594 posts, read 3,331,682 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by UrbanLuis View Post
I have heard you can get east coast donairs in Alberta. We can't get them here at all....at least I haven't seen them anywhere.
I had to Google "east coast donair," only to find that they're what we just call a donair. Yes, they are available--perhaps not as widely as they are in Halifax, but certainly available. There's a donair (and other Mediterranean foods) place a five or ten minute drive away from me.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-17-2021, 10:41 PM

14,634 posts, read 14,725,582 times
Quote:
Growing up the closest fast food chains to where I lived was a dairy queen and a harverys. Harveys is much better. I remember when they introduced poutine to the menu, LOL....... There was also an A&W in a near by mall food court but I would rarely ever eat there. McDonalds and Burger king were a bit of a hike from where I lived. SO harveys was the chain place to go......... but Pizza and donairs were the main thing we ate when hanging out. I have heard you can get east coast donairs in Alberta. We can't get them here at all....at least I haven't seen them anywhere.
Is there a difference between east coast donairs and donairs in other locations? You're in or near Winnipeg, aren't you?? I don't know if this helps but if you are then do an online search of Greek and other Mediterranean or Middle Eastern types of restaurants and use shawarma / donair / gyro as your search words. I just did a search for such in Winnipeg and found reviews of 19 Mediterranean or Middle Eastern restaurants that serve them. A shawarma, donair and gyro (pronounced hero) are different names for basically the same thing but may have different sauces.

https://www.yelp.ca/search?find_desc...C%20MB&start=0

Those kinds of food places are quite common here on the west coast, there is a donair place 5 minutes walk around the corner from my place.

Old 05-17-2021, 11:59 PM

7,363 posts, read 8,300,278 times
Thanks for the link Zoisite. Yes I am in Winnipeg. The Halifax donair is abit different from the others. What makes the Halifax donair a bit different is the toppings, which is diced onions, tomato and the sweet donair sauce. The sweet garlic sauce is really Halifaxs claim to fame. They can be pretty big compared to other donairs. Donair pizza is also pretty popular.

I like the other donairs too and shawarma ......Shawarma is something I could eat if everyday. My mouth is watering just thinking about it. Thanks again.

The official food of Halifax.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7iwIHvpg_bk

Halifax donairs in Burlington Ontario.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R2fSYt-cnQs

Halifax donairs in Calgary. Reid Southwick is correct. They would never add lettuce in a donair in Halifax. I have seen it done in New Brunsick, but never on the peninsula.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4i6_fBuOgac

Old 05-18-2021, 12:21 AM

3,594 posts, read 3,331,682 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoisite View Post
A shawarma, donair and gyro (pronounced hero) are different names for basically the same thing but may have different sauces.
And don't forget souvlaki. I'm not talking about the souvlaki that Opa sells in the mall food court (a skewer of meat, potatoes or rice, salad, all on a paper plate), but real, authentic Greek souvlaki that you can get on the streets of Athens. Athenian street food, if you will.

A vertical spit of lamb, pieces sliced off the spit. The vendor lays a pita in his hand, and scoops the slices onto it. He adds diced tomatoes and onions, a squirt of lemon-garlic sauce, wraps the whole thing up, and hands it to you. A variation is where skewered meat is on a grill--the tomatoes and onions and sauce are added first, then the skewer is laid on, and it's wrapped up. Then the vendor yanks the skewer out, and throws it away, before handing you your lunch.

I was in Athens in the late 1970s with friends, and we all quickly learned how to read the Greek for "souvlaki" on lunch carts and sidewalk stands, since it was cheap, easy, and oh-so-tasty; and with a Coke (which the vendor also sold), it made a suitable lunch that we could consume while walking or sitting in a park or square. Like a hot dog from a cart in New York, or a Philly cheesesteak. Foodies may disagree with my use of the word "souvlaki" to describe the above, but when you're in Greece, and you get one of those from a Greek guy advertising "souvlaki"--then it's souvlaki.

Old 05-18-2021, 02:41 AM

7,489 posts, read 4,886,719 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
I think Crown Royal Northern Harvest deserved its 2015 Whiskey of the Year. Jack Daniels is what we drank in shots at dive bars in the early 1980s. Northern Harvest is sip-worthy.
Back to what not to do in Canada, king of the castle is what not to do. Get drunk on whatever you want, but don't make what you drank a topic. That's what not to do in Canada.

Old 05-18-2021, 02:47 AM

7,489 posts, read 4,886,719 times
Quote:
Thanks for the link Zoisite. Yes I am in Winnipeg. The Halifax donair is abit different from the others. What makes the Halifax donair a bit different is the toppings, which is diced onions, tomato and the sweet donair sauce. The sweet garlic sauce is really Halifaxs claim to fame. They can be pretty big compared to other donairs. Donair pizza is also pretty popular.

I like the other donairs too and shawarma ......Shawarma is something I could eat if everyday. My mouth is watering just thinking about it. Thanks again.

The official food of Halifax.

Halifax donairs in Burlington Ontario.

Halifax donairs in Calgary. Reid Southwick is correct. They would never add lettuce in a donair in Halifax. I have seen it done in New Brunsick, but never on the peninsula.
Greek Souvlaki in Halifax or Calgary? Greeks don't add lettuce to their souvlaki or red/green peppers to their salad. Donair is not Greek. Souvlaki is spit lamb and tadzicki sauce with onions, tomatoes, cucumber, olives wrapped. Donair is spit meat. Different than lamb.

Old 05-18-2021, 09:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChevySpoons View Post
And don't forget souvlaki. I'm not talking about the souvlaki that Opa sells in the mall food court (a skewer of meat, potatoes or rice, salad, all on a paper plate), but real, authentic Greek souvlaki that you can get on the streets of Athens. Athenian street food, if you will.
i.

Oh yeah Soulvaiki is awesome too. IN Montreal "village Grec" on jean talon boulevard had awesome soulvaki. It used to be good, dont know if it still is but everytime in was in that area I would get some.

Old 05-18-2021, 10:43 AM

3,344 posts, read 2,640,182 times
Quote:
Oh yeah Soulvaiki is awesome too. IN Montreal "village Grec" on jean talon boulevard had awesome soulvaki. It used to be good, dont know if it still is but everytime in was in that area I would get some.
A Greecey spoon cafe?

Old 05-18-2021, 11:44 AM

2,318 posts, read 1,487,700 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suesbal View Post
A Greecey spoon cafe?
well played

Old 05-18-2021, 11:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suesbal View Post
A Greecey spoon cafe?
Yeah pretty much.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada