Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-10-2021, 06:28 PM

22,923 posts, read 15,484,713 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suesbal View Post
Someone on another website posted that only two refineries on the Gulf Coast can refine Alberta’s “sour” oil. We Southerners put a little sugar in everything.
This is where it was all predicted to be just three years ago.

https://www.businesswire.com/news/ho...it-Report-Says

And this article from 2013 is interesting:

https://thenarwhal.ca/oil-export-tar...astern-canada/

"In the US, 59 of the 134 refineries are equipped with coker units. Approximately 30% of the US's bitumen refining capacity is in the nine Gulf of Mexico refineries TransCanada seeks to supply through its controversial Keystone XL pipeline. Sea-faring oil tankers traveling from Saint John, Quebec City or Montreal could also access these refineries."

"Oxbow Corporation is one of the largest sellers of pet coke in the world. The company is owned by William Koch, brother of the infamous pro-fossil fuels billionaires Charles and David Koch."
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-10-2021, 09:30 PM

41 posts, read 33,749 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BruSan View Post
Not to mention those Saudi and American owned gulf refineries specifically renovated to handle this and Venezuela's heavy crude will have to pay the extra costs of Buffets trains carrying tons of the stuff right through middle U.S.A. and barging it along their western coastline to Cali. refineries.

Very shortly the U.S. is going to find itself losing it's petroleum security, which involves far more than just fuel stocks but, also all of that stuff required for plastics and shampoos among thousands of other products demanding lower quality crude oil.

Aside from paying more for the stuff. What else could possibly go wrong?

My main objection to all of this is the fact that while all the "environmentally concerned" were busily influencing Ottawa, they were not also prepared to pony up and fund research for alternate energies other than those stupid costly wind farms and Chinese made solar panels with a half life measured in minutes.

This has not been a stellar moment in Canada's history with Alberta, and by cultural/historical association; Saskatchewan and Manitoba very likely coming to the conclusion that the ROC was a willing participant in seeing to it that one Province would/could not advantage it's resource to it's fullest potential with all of the coincidental political clout that would give them.
Always follow the money. Look at who benefits and who loses from the decision. America will always be energy independent if it seeks to be that way, there are tons of untapped resources, but some benefit from shortages and diversions. With a left oriented government in place in USA, the dynamics have shifted, and common sense has gone out the window. Now it is all about making social statements.

Old 06-16-2021, 05:26 PM

6,321 posts, read 7,044,753 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoisite View Post
Oh well. So much for a 4th phase.

But that's okay. The other Keystone pipelines haven't crumbled, they're still there and in operation. The Keystone phases 1, 2 and 3 are still up and running and delivering just as usual as they have been for the past 10 years, so the American oil buyers/refiners are still getting the same oil that they've always been able to rely on at the same rate of time as usual. It just won't be getting to them more directly and more quickly at more volume as it would have if phase 4 (the XL line) had gone through.

I'm thinking that's probably a good thing. Nobody needs more volume of oil delivered at a faster rate. No point in being greedy.

The phases of the Keystone pipelines: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Keystone_Pipeline

Isn't the back-up plan to build a pipeline to Vancouver and then export the oil via tanker to the Chinese??

The environmental community in Washington state is up in arms about large numbers of oil tankers running through US/Canadian waters.

I don't understand their panic. What could go wrong??

Old 06-16-2021, 07:03 PM

14,735 posts, read 15,033,548 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 509 View Post

Isn't the back-up plan to build a pipeline to Vancouver and then export the oil via tanker to the Chinese??

The environmental community in Washington state is up in arms about large numbers of oil tankers running through US/Canadian waters.

I don't understand their panic. What could go wrong??
If you're asking me, sorry but I don't know anything about the Keystone people having any backup plans. Did you look it up? What have you found out about them?

I don't blame anyone on the west coast for complaining about oil tankers. I agree with those folks in Washington and I can't comprehend your lack of understanding about their concerns.

Old 06-16-2021, 07:20 PM

Quote:
If you're asking me, sorry but I don't know anything about the Keystone people having any backup plans. Did you look it up? What have you found out about them?

I don't blame anyone on the west coast for complaining about oil tankers. I agree with those folks in Washington and I can't comprehend your lack of understanding about their concerns.

Not Keystone....the backup is expansion of the Trans Mountain Pipeline.

Here is the link to the Wilkipedia article:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Trans_Mountain_pipeline

Here is the important parts of the article.

In 2018, the Houston-based Kinder Morgan sold TransMountain to the federal government of Canada for C$4.5 billion.[2].........................

.......................On July 2, 2020, the Supreme Court dismissed the appeal of a prior decision by the Federal Court of Appeal thus ending the potential for any further legal challenges of the expansion.[6]
In the fall of 2020, despite the COVID-19 pandemic, the slump in the price of oil,[7] and a "$5.2-billion rise in its estimated cost to $12.6 billion," the pipeline expansion was on schedule.[8]

Notice that the pipeline is NOW OWNED by the Canadian government and the expansion is "on schedule".

I am not concerned. I don't live in western Washington.

Besides Prime Minister Trudeau is concerned about climate change and protecting the environment. I have complete confidence in the Canadian government that NOT ONE DROP of oil will be spilled in the Juan de Fuca Straits!!!

After dumping raw sewage into those waters for over a hundred years. The Canadian government will take care of the environment, now that they started treating the sewage last year.

Don't you think??

Old 06-16-2021, 08:07 PM

22,923 posts, read 15,484,713 times
Quote:

In 2018, the Houston-based Kinder Morgan sold TransMountain to the federal government of Canada for C$4.5 billion.[2].........................

.......................On July 2, 2020, the Supreme Court dismissed the appeal of a prior decision by the Federal Court of Appeal thus ending the potential for any further legal challenges of the expansion.[6]
In the fall of 2020, despite the COVID-19 pandemic, the slump in the price of oil,[7] and a "$5.2-billion rise in its estimated cost to $12.6 billion," the pipeline expansion was on schedule.[8]

Notice that the pipeline is NOW OWNED by the Canadian government and the expansion is "on schedule".

Besides Prime Minister Trudeau is concerned about climate change and protecting the environment. I have complete confidence in the Canadian government that NOT ONE DROP of oil will be spilled in the Juan de Fuca Straits!!!

After dumping raw sewage into those waters for over a hundred years. The Canadian government will take care of the environment, now that they started treating the sewage last year.

Don't you think??
After finishing my diver's course in the RCN back in the mid 60's, I used to go scuba and snorkeling off of Beacon Hill Park and around the Oakbay Marina and the inner harbour of Victoria - right up until an old salt informed me I was very likely swimming in "chit"!

Old 06-19-2021, 11:29 AM

Quote:

Didn't the Vancouver Sun cover the Canadian government purchasing the pipeline to ship Alberta oil to China??

It was covered in the states!!

https://www.cnbc.com/2018/06/07/cana...l-to-asia.html

Old 06-19-2021, 01:26 PM

18,504 posts, read 15,548,466 times
Quote:

Don't you think??
It wasn't the Canadian government, The sewage facility is owned and run by Capital Regional District of Victoria.

The new facility was partially funded by the feds, and the provincial government as well as the CRD.

Old 06-19-2021, 01:28 PM

18,504 posts, read 15,548,466 times
Quote:
Didn't the Vancouver Sun cover the Canadian government purchasing the pipeline to ship Alberta oil to China??

It was covered, and those of us on the west coast are still upset about it.

The increase tanker traffic is a disaster waiting to happen.

Old 06-19-2021, 05:07 PM

2,219 posts, read 1,324,871 times
Quote:

Chinese Pipeline Gas Imports are from the Stans, Myanmar and Russia.
And this trend will continue, as the more China develops, the worse its relations with the USA.

The Power of Siberia 2's new route to China via Mongolia, which relies on coal for 90% of its electricity production, will reduce air pollution, particularly in its capital Ulaanbaatar.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada