Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-29-2021, 08:00 PM

3,375 posts, read 2,663,003 times

Advertisements

It must have been interesting times for people making movies in BC, especially Christmas movies. I wonder if the wine grape crop will be affected.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-29-2021, 08:06 PM

3,375 posts, read 2,663,003 times
According to Wikipedia, Lytton is frequently a hotspot.

Old 06-29-2021, 08:58 PM

14,676 posts, read 14,779,386 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suesbal View Post
According to Wikipedia, Lytton is frequently a hotspot.
Lytton is almost always a #1 hot spot, not only for BC but for all of Canada. Just a weird geological location, the town is an arid town, almost desert-like in places, and is smack dab in the middle of the Fraser canyon at one of the canyons narrowest points where it collects both heat and cold. It also is one of the most bitterly cold and windiest of locations in BC during the winters in spite of it's relatively southern location on the map. Spring and autumn are not too bad to visit, and it's beautiful and has lots of old history, but in the peak of summer or winter that part of the canyon is absolutely sheer hell to drive through.

Old 06-29-2021, 09:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Natnasci View Post
Well no one sent Zoisite and me beer, and the thread went from asking for cold beer to talking about water.

Next heatwave I'll start with water and hope it ends up all about beer.

Today is the last day of the heatwave. It was 32C-35C depending where you were in Vancouver today. It certainly felt better.
Tomorrow 27C and it will hover around that for the next 6 days or so, then down to 22C ish for a bit.

Glad to get back to normal...and perhaps now I can get all those chores I've put off...because ya know, " It' too Darn Hot ".

Ann Miller. Great American Dancer to sign out!
Yesterday at 43 degrees was a killer, it fried all of my very extensive gardens and trees and shrubs that it has taken me 8 years of nearly daily work year round to get well established and healthy and beautiful. I couldn't keep up with soaking them with the amount of water they all needed without over-extending myself and making myself really sick. I am this close -> || <- to crying, just so depressed about it. I can only hope now that the roots of some of the perennials survived and will come back next spring.

I think if this happens again I will feed everything beer instead of water - if they're all going to get fried into crisps they may as well be too drunk on beer to know what's happening while they're frying.

I sure feel sorry for the many agriculturists here who have just instantly lost all of their crops in the past week, yesterday being the grande finale of trial by furnace.

Old 06-29-2021, 09:32 PM

18,494 posts, read 15,380,201 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoisite View Post
Yesterday at 43 degrees was a killer, it fried all of my very extensive gardens and trees and shrubs that it has taken me 8 years of nearly daily work year round to get well established and healthy and beautiful. I couldn't keep up with soaking them with the amount of water they all needed without over-extending myself and making myself really sick. I am this close -> || <- to crying, just so depressed about it. I can only hope now that the roots of some of the perennials survived and will come back next spring.

I think if this happens again I will feed everything beer instead of water - if they're all going to get fried into crisps they may as well be too drunk on beer to know what's happening while they're frying.

I sure feel sorry for the many agriculturists here who have just instantly lost all of their crops in the past week, yesterday being the grande finale of trial by furnace.

Oh that's horrible Zoisite.

Fingers crossed next Spring it comes back.

I'm not a gardener, but does this mean you have more time this summer to not attend to plants, but other endeavours...beer drinking included?

Old 06-29-2021, 10:34 PM

2,127 posts, read 1,248,654 times
'Never seen anything like this': At least 134 sudden deaths reported in Metro Vancouver, most related to heat
Published Tuesday, June 29, 2021
https://bc.ctvnews.ca/never-seen-any...heat-1.5490278

It might be a bit late to order one of this now.
https://www.gearinternet.com/persona...iAAEgJd4vD_BwE

I stay hydrated by drinking cold milk and cold water, and soaking my feet in buckets of cold water.

Old 06-29-2021, 11:34 PM

3,602 posts, read 2,275,568 times
Quote:

Even here in Sydney Australia 43 is really hot. We are lucky that it only usually lasts a day or two.

The summer before last, when we had the fires, we also had a drought and we could not water the garden.
It is amazing how many plants regenerate, and even many areas badly burnt come back. So I hope your garden survives.

This last summer was cool and wet, the dams are all full and winter this year has been quite cold and early.

Hope things improve for you, I cannot stand those temperatures.

Old 06-30-2021, 12:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Natnasci View Post
Oh that's horrible Zoisite.

Fingers crossed next Spring it comes back.

I'm not a gardener, but does this mean you have more time this summer to not attend to plants, but other endeavours...beer drinking included?
Yes. I have a fried mess that needs to be cut off the crisped plants/trees and disposed of properly (to eliminate risk of disease, pests or fire if there's another heat wave this summer) but otherwise some more of my summer time will be freed up to do other things. Beer is optional ..... I usually only drink any beer during very hot summer weather when I'm doing work outside, so now after the way this past week has gone I'd actually rather not have any more reason to drink more beer for the rest of this summer.

Old 06-30-2021, 12:55 AM

7,241 posts, read 9,228,741 times
Quote:

I'm very sorry to hear that. We're in the third year of a drought and only had one rainfall that dropped around an inch. I can't even remember when that was other than it was too late for my timothy hay crop. It was seeded just a little too late to take advantage of whatever moisture there was in the ground after winter, and then we were hit by very high winds right at seeding time, which sent a lot of topsoil and seeds into the air, and then the rain that did come, came at least a week too late.

So I'm going to have to reseed, but am waiting for some rain in the forecast.

Old 06-30-2021, 01:47 AM

61,227 posts, read 86,103,763 times
Canada broke its temperature record for a third straight day on Tuesday - 49.5C (121F) in Lytton, British Columbia.
In a statement, Canadian officials said at least 233 deaths were recorded between Friday and Monday.
Western Canada’s record-breaking heat wave is expected to linger for a few more days before migrating eastbound. The dome may travel as far as Northern Ontario, but won't be as strong as it is while it looms over the West, nor will it have an effect on Toronto.

The reason why Western Canada is experiencing unparalleled heat is because it’s under a heat dome. A heat dome is when an area becomes so highly-pressurized that it doesn’t allow air to escape, it just recirculates and gets squeezed together. This causes air molecules to hit each other rapidly, thus creating more heat.

My heart is with you all, my Canadian friends! This is unbearable. Hope the heat wave is over, soon.

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-57654133
https://www.thestar.com/news/canada/...hats-next.html
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada