Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-30-2021, 07:51 AM

7,363 posts, read 8,318,279 times

Advertisements

49.5?? Dang.....Never felt that kind of heat...At least not here in Canada.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-30-2021, 09:52 AM

61,228 posts, read 86,103,763 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UrbanLuis View Post
It's cooler in Death Valley right now...
https://www.accuweather.com/en/us/de...recast/2258469

Old 06-30-2021, 10:23 AM

14,676 posts, read 14,779,386 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UrbanLuis View Post
Hopefully you won't get temps that high, but it's going to try to give you a taste, it's headed on its way east and coming to get you soon. Parts of Manitoba came under heat warning this morning. BC, Alberta and Saskatchewan are completely covered by this heat dome now, heat warnings are in place for all three and now the dome and warnings are extending into parts of Manitoba.

https://www.ckom.com/2021/06/30/sask...heat-warnings/

I'm curious about whether or not it will break up some once it gets over Hudson Bay and Ontario/Quebec. Maybe it will cause evaporation and rain when it gets over Hudson Bay.

Here's some info about how many people have been effected across the border too: https://www.cnn.com/2021/06/30/weath...day/index.html

Last edited by Zoisite; 06-30-2021 at 10:32 AM..

Old 06-30-2021, 12:08 PM

2,127 posts, read 1,248,654 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elnina View Post
Canada broke its temperature record for a third straight day on Tuesday - 49.5C (121F) in Lytton, British Columbia.
In a statement, Canadian officials said at least 233 deaths were recorded between Friday and Monday.
Western Canada’s record-breaking heat wave is expected to linger for a few more days before migrating eastbound. The dome may travel as far as Northern Ontario, but won't be as strong as it is while it looms over the West, nor will it have an effect on Toronto.

The reason why Western Canada is experiencing unparalleled heat is because it’s under a heat dome. A heat dome is when an area becomes so highly-pressurized that it doesn’t allow air to escape, it just recirculates and gets squeezed together. This causes air molecules to hit each other rapidly, thus creating more heat.

My heart is with you all, my Canadian friends! This is unbearable. Hope the heat wave is over, soon.

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-57654133
https://www.thestar.com/news/canada/...hats-next.html
It is much better today. I could feel the seabreeze late last night blowing inland.
This morning, it has been sunny and breezy.
Attached Thumbnails
Send Beer, COLD Beer-bc_weather-forecast_20210630-0707.jpg  

Old 06-30-2021, 12:08 PM

7,654 posts, read 5,434,837 times
The forecasted highs for Thursday, Friday, Saturday:
Regina, Saskatchewan - 33°, 36°, 36°
Winnipeg, Manitoba - 32°, 35°, 37°

We’re used to weather extremes on the prairies and air conditioning is common.

Old 06-30-2021, 01:41 PM

2,328 posts, read 2,901,475 times
Has the heat been attributed to climate change yet? I would assume it is climate change, there is no other explanation as to why it gets so hot in Canada.

Does this mean the snow has finally melted?

Old 06-30-2021, 02:17 PM

218 posts, read 158,462 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by drro View Post
Has the heat been attributed to climate change yet? I would assume it is climate change, there is no other explanation as to why it gets so hot in Canada.

Was there a particular mountain or glacier you were concerned about having lost all of its snow? Since they are the only places that generally have year round snow.

Old 06-30-2021, 02:21 PM

14,676 posts, read 14,779,386 times
Quote:

Yes, this is part of the climate change. Yes, the snowpack has almost all gone during the past 2 weeks. I imagine it will all be gone in another week from now.

The towering stone mountains everywhere are generating heat, they have gotten so baking hot to the touch they aren't cooling during our very short summer nights after sunset so the snow on them and everywhere else has continued melting just as much at nights as it does during the days.

The levels of the lakes and rivers has risen very, very high with snowmelt water and several communities in low lying flood prone areas are on alert to evacuate at a moment's notice. Unfortunately some didn't get out in time and a lot of property and possessions (like cars) became submerged. Other communities are on alert to evacuate immediately due to wildfires. So there is risk of a double whammy.

The rising moon at night appears dirty dark red due to the smoke from the wildfires and the excessive ozone haze and other pollutants in the low level atmosphere trapped under the heat dome.

Old 06-30-2021, 02:27 PM

2,328 posts, read 2,901,475 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lollycat View Post
Was there a particular mountain or glacier you were concerned about having lost all of its snow? Since they are the only places that generally have year round snow.
The all of its snow part indeed. I remember there were cities where the snow from winter never completely melted during summer and would just accumulate more and more over the years. A heatwave like this may have fixed that.

And I'm getting concerned about the Polar Bears ...

Old 06-30-2021, 03:18 PM

7,654 posts, read 5,434,837 times
Quote:
The all of its snow part indeed. I remember there were cities where the snow from winter never completely melted during summer and would just accumulate more and more over the years. A heatwave like this may have fixed that.

And I'm getting concerned about the Polar Bears ...
Which cities?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada