Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-06-2021, 09:49 AM

2,400 posts, read 1,568,914 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mascoma View Post
How about axing Family Day? Sometimes I go to Ottawa on that day and everything is closed and I'm caught off guard - because they don't observe it in Montreal. It's also known as Heritage Day, right? Sounds like a good sacrifice to make. Canada Day has got to stay!
its a provincial holiday in ON not in QC The federal government works the provincial government doe snot
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-06-2021, 10:33 AM

18,504 posts, read 15,555,283 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post
It probably won't be cancelled, but I'd say the Canada Days of the fairly recent past, all festive, joyous and self-congratulatory, are probably gone for the foreseeable future.
I don't think so.

Spuzzy is correct in one aspect. Although I disagree that this travesty will be forgotten, next year Canada Day will probably be back to normal. Especially after this pandemic, people want to go to fireworks etc. My guess, there will probably be some orange fireworks in honour of the children.

It is possible to celebrate the greater whole, while recognizing the bad bits.

Old 07-06-2021, 11:24 AM

9,471 posts, read 10,805,387 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoisite View Post
Would the US cancel Independence Day?

Canada Day in Canada isn't equivalent to US Columbus Day, it's more equivalent to US Independence Day. Canada Day is basically the same celebration of our independence as the Independence Day celebration is in the US. Similar kinds of celebrations for the same reasons but having different names for the two events.

Canada Day was not cancelled this year, it was toned down in recognition and sharing of a present time of grief and mourning that has impacted the whole country. But there's no valid reasons to ever cancel Canada Day so I doubt it will ever happen.

Funny you ask that as this has become a topic recently here in the US. Leftist activists are indeed attacking Independence Day as a racist day. They claim the nation is racist to the core and should not be celebrated. Display of flags or patriotic attitudes is now considered offensive to some. There is a very large, very young and very vocal minority of people who hold these radical opinions. It is said that 30-40 percent of Americans now support the far left. I don’t know how many Canadians are aware of just how dangerously fractured their southern neighbor is....maybe one of y’all can answer that question.

That means the answer to your question is maybe.....it all depends on if these people can topple our constitution and take power. The left wing government they installed is still beholden to the constitution so IMO it is just a bridge to what they really plan to do. Eventually they will have to alter or replace our constitution to do the really profound change they dream of. It remains to be seen whether or not they have the ability to do that.

Canada has always been a more liberal country than the US but from what I see it does not have the kind of radical far left problems that has developed in the US. I think Canada day is much safer than Independence Day is from the cancel culture.

Old 07-06-2021, 11:35 AM

7,363 posts, read 8,405,340 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by danielj72 View Post
Funny you ask that as this has become a topic recently here in the US. Leftist activists are indeed attacking Independence Day as a racist day. They claim the nation is racist to the core and should not be celebrated. Display of flags or patriotic attitudes is now considered offensive to some. There is a very large, very young and very vocal minority of people who hold these radical opinions. It is said that 30-40 percent of Americans now support the far left. I don’t know how many Canadians are aware of just how dangerously fractured their southern neighbor is....maybe one of y’all can answer that question.

That means the answer to your question is maybe.....it all depends on if these people can topple our constitution and take power. The left wing government they installed is still beholden to the constitution so IMO it is just a bridge to what they really plan to do. Eventually they will have to alter or replace our constitution to do the really profound change they dream of. It remains to be seen whether or not they have the ability to do that.

Canada has always been a more liberal country than the US but from what I see it does not have the kind of radical far left problems that has developed in the US. I think Canada day is much safer than Independence Day is from the cancel culture.
Yes we see it. Not just on the left though. From here it seems like both the paranoid right and the weirdo progressive left have both gone overboard.

Old 07-06-2021, 11:42 AM

3,867 posts, read 5,291,536 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Natnasci View Post
I don't think so.

Spuzzy is correct in one aspect. Although I disagree that this travesty will be forgotten, next year Canada Day will probably be back to normal. Especially after this pandemic, people want to go to fireworks etc. My guess, there will probably be some orange fireworks in honour of the children.

Trust me, Nat, I want to be wrong on this. When I said "forgotten", I didn't mean it would be erased from the history books. Forgotten in a sense that people tend to go about their lives and move on fast from tragedies that did not affect them or a group they belong to.

I guess it's part of being Black, you don't expect much from people! I would suspect Indigenous folks feel the same.

Old 07-06-2021, 11:46 AM

26,883 posts, read 38,032,223 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Natnasci View Post
I don't think so.

I suppose that might be true of most anywhere in the country except Ottawa.

I've lived in other cities and also visited them on July 1, and Canada Day everywhere except Ottawa is basically like a festival.

In Ottawa it's a much bigger deal, very festive, a kind of party central atmosphere that is often over the top with patriotism and nationalism.

That's what I had in mind when I talked about things not likely coming back to the way they were.

Old 07-08-2021, 08:44 PM

41 posts, read 33,784 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mascoma View Post
I read that some cities have cancelled already.

Calls to cancel Canada Day after graves found: ‘Indigenous people paid with their lives’

https://www.theguardian.com/world/20...igenous-people

The US has pretty much cancelled Columbus Day, but Canada doesn't have a Columbus Day equivalent to cancel. That leaves Canada Day.
USA has not cancelled Columbus Day. Only very left leaning, white guilt orientated entities are messing with that. Although cancel culture, book burnings, and statue removals are all the rage is leftist circles, there are still massive parts where such divisive rewriting of history is not at all acceptable. One would think the left could actually come up with something truly inclusive instead of trying to insult one group to appease another.

Old 07-09-2021, 09:01 AM

22,923 posts, read 15,489,598 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pond Gap View Post
USA has not cancelled Columbus Day. Only very left leaning, white guilt orientated entities are messing with that. Although cancel culture, book burnings, and statue removals are all the rage is leftist circles, there are still massive parts where such divisive rewriting of history is not at all acceptable. One would think the left could actually come up with something truly inclusive instead of trying to insult one group to appease another.
Yeah, but that has to start by not using "left" or "right" as pejoratives.

Ascribing the tendencies to right historical wrongs in the same bucket with all visible forms of political correctness in action is part of the problem.

Do you think for example that the only people desiring to see a statue of a particular Southern General removed are all singularly left leaning?

Just giving this tendency to "correct" those popular teachings that serve only to prejudicially pigeonhole a complex segment of history a name like "cancel culture" reduces a multi-faceted issue to simplistic and WRONG optics so that the simple minded can point a finger in one direction only.

The natural and perhaps genetic trait of some to use the right versus left, the black versus the white, the north versus the south, serves only to putting a huge all encompassing problem, one that covers the full spectrum of society, into the most simplistic of terms for what reason? Laziness perhaps? Along with a healthy dose of needing someone other than oneself or his chosen team to blame.

No nation can be at the crossroads many of them find themselves today without the complete and willing co-operation of ALL parties.

Cleaning up the various messes of yesterday is going to require more effort than simply pointing the finger and name calling.

Old 07-11-2021, 11:30 PM

41 posts, read 33,784 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BruSan View Post
Yeah, but that has to start by not using "left" or "right" as pejoratives.

Ascribing the tendencies to right historical wrongs in the same bucket with all visible forms of political correctness in action is part of the problem.

Do you think for example that the only people desiring to see a statue of a particular Southern General removed are all singularly left leaning?

Just giving this tendency to "correct" those popular teachings that serve only to prejudicially pigeonhole a complex segment of history a name like "cancel culture" reduces a multi-faceted issue to simplistic and WRONG optics so that the simple minded can point a finger in one direction only.

The natural and perhaps genetic trait of some to use the right versus left, the black versus the white, the north versus the south, serves only to putting a huge all encompassing problem, one that covers the full spectrum of society, into the most simplistic of terms for what reason? Laziness perhaps? Along with a healthy dose of needing someone other than oneself or his chosen team to blame.

No nation can be at the crossroads many of them find themselves today without the complete and willing co-operation of ALL parties.

Cleaning up the various messes of yesterday is going to require more effort than simply pointing the finger and name calling.
In our country, the left has abandoned labor as a constituency and adopted policies that actually harm workers. That left them with academics and their thoroughly propagandized recent graduates for a constituency, not enough to win elections. Their response, create a welfare slavery contingent that has been conditioned to rely exclusively on government handouts. In order to maintain their handouts, they have to continue to support their "benefactors", who are ready to spend the money of others for political support.

Any real movement toward improvements in race relations would involve actual efforts to be inclusive ... not appeasing one group while antagonizing another.

Old 07-12-2021, 12:15 AM

5,743 posts, read 3,601,915 times
It used to be called "Dominion Day. Lots of times, countries keep their holidays, but change its name to be more politically correct.".
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada