Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-19-2021, 08:10 PM

14,735 posts, read 15,016,027 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by cdnirene View Post
Trolling - a fishing technique of slowly dragging a lure or baited hook from a moving boat
Quote:
Originally Posted by BruSan View Post
Careful there; - - I once got sanctioned by guess who for using that exact description quote.
I'd hope that no infractions would be given out for suggesting such a suspicion in this case. By posting such a question in the Canada forum it IS suggestive of trolling and goading and if a newbie to CD had asked it I'd have immediatly thought it was trolling. But the OP is a several years long time forum member with over 5,000 posts to his name and to my recollection he's never tried to cause trouble in the Canada forum during his long posting history. Maybe he made a mistake.

Since this alleged stereotype about Canadians has been claimed by OP to be a nation-wide American created stereotype about Canada then this thread and the question he asked should have been posted in the General USA forum, not the Canada forum. If the OP genuinely wants to know why his fellow Americans have invented that stereotype about Canadians then most logically he should be asking the general American public that created the stereotype why Americans did that.

Obviously from the Canadian responses so far to this thread here, Canadians don't know anything about it and have never even heard of it.

Maybe the OP should ask a moderator to move this thread to the more appropriate General USA forum or the P&OC forum where the many Americans there who would be more in the know can give him the answers he's looking for.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-20-2021, 01:07 AM

3,624 posts, read 3,406,449 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoisite View Post
Since this alleged stereotype about Canadians has been claimed by OP to be a nation-wide American created stereotype about Canada then this thread and the question he asked should have been posted in the General USA forum, not the Canada forum....
Agree fully.

I did a little research using Google, and while I found many such questions which were answered by references and cites, mostly on message boards and other similar vehicles, they all referred back to that TV show. I can only conclude that this stereotype is the product of one single American TV sitcom writer (or a possibly Canadian writer, doing it for the sake of comedy). Either way, it's the product of a TV show; nothing more.

I'd be interested to see the responses, should this thread be moved to the General US forum, though.

Old 08-26-2021, 08:40 AM

5,102 posts, read 2,047,728 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChevySpoons View Post
Agree fully.

I did a little research using Google, and while I found many such questions which were answered by references and cites, mostly on message boards and other similar vehicles, they all referred back to that TV show. I can only conclude that this stereotype is the product of one single American TV sitcom writer (or a possibly Canadian writer, doing it for the sake of comedy). Either way, it's the product of a TV show; nothing more.

I'd be interested to see the responses, should this thread be moved to the General US forum, though.
There was a tv show co-produced by former Canadian studios Cinar and Nickelodeon titled "Are you afraid of the dark?" who was also aired on YTV, maybe that came from that show.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6b2G8ySKNgA
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada