Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-18-2021, 05:49 PM

18,504 posts, read 15,536,880 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by thedwightguy View Post
Is at an interesting buddies place at the time. He was born in Canada but went to the USA as a baby. Then he got deported!! Brilliant and worldly. When those planes hit, he said: "Those bas...rds just lost ALL OF US our Rights. In three days CSIS and the RCMP walked over to Parliament Hill in Ottawa and passed the "Security Act". He was right. Usually Congress or Parliament CAN'T PASS anything in less than two or three years. Not this time.

It's called "Schock Doctrine"; you and your buddies wait for a "moment" and then make your play for control. Works most of the time.
Do you mean the Anti-terrorism Act?

If so, it was introduced to parliament on October 15th, 2001. On November 20th, 2001 there were extensive amendments and clarification.

The act received Royal Assent on December 18th, 2001, which means that is when it became law, with a built in mechanism for review, which it has been.

It's an interesting time, and this link has some good information.

https://www.justice.gc.ca/eng/cj-jp/ns-sn/act-loi.html

Last edited by Natnasci; 09-18-2021 at 06:01 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-18-2021, 10:47 PM

3,624 posts, read 3,405,054 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Natnasci View Post
Your stories about that day are fascinating. Have you written them down so you can pass them on to your descendants? You were part of a historical event that will be read about for many years.
I agree with Nat. You should write them down, Mightyqueen. They are history, told by one who lived it. They are valuable, to future historians.

Old 09-19-2021, 11:07 PM

5,743 posts, read 3,593,936 times
Quote:
Do you mean the Anti-terrorism Act?

If so, it was introduced to parliament on October 15th, 2001. On November 20th, 2001 there were extensive amendments and clarification.

The act received Royal Assent on December 18th, 2001, which means that is when it became law, with a built in mechanism for review, which it has been.

It's an interesting time, and this link has some good information.

https://www.justice.gc.ca/eng/cj-jp/ns-sn/act-loi.html
This was not new to Canadians, who, 30 years earlier, had the War Measures Act imposed by Pierre Trudeau, after the assassination of Pierre Laporte by the FLQ. I had leftist friends hiding at my house.

Old 09-20-2021, 07:35 AM

3,446 posts, read 2,772,996 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arr430 View Post
This was not new to Canadians, who, 30 years earlier, had the War Measures Act imposed by Pierre Trudeau, after the assassination of Pierre Laporte by the FLQ. I had leftist friends hiding at my house.
I think Trudeau imposed the WMA first, then Laporte was killed.

Old 09-20-2021, 07:49 AM

26,873 posts, read 37,997,315 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suesbal View Post
Correct.

Old 09-20-2021, 11:02 AM

Quote:
No one said it was something " new ".

The poster wasn't talking about the time period of when the War Measures Act was invoked, but about 2001.

So why would I bring up the War Measures Act?

Old 09-20-2021, 10:24 PM

88,509 posts, read 84,688,123 times
Quote:
Your stories about that day are fascinating. Have you written them down so you can pass them on to your descendants? You were part of a historical event that will be read about for many years.
Ha. I have one descendant, a 30-year-old daughter who had tubal ligation in her mid-20s. . I do have a French BullGrandog, but he doesn't tell many stories.

But, yes, i have written down my experience, told it on video at the A&E studio as part of a pilot project for a friend's son who worked at the station and was doing a proposal for a show that told survivor stories but didn't get picked up, and I was a can't-quit-the-day-job writer who had several articles published on different aspects of the day, some in a local newspaper, one in a national magazine (the only freelance piece for which I was ever paid real money )

As a matter of fact, I am in Canada because I met and came to love a fellow writer I met on a forum on the Interwebz.

He had a book published, though. Show off.

Old 09-20-2021, 11:38 PM

5,743 posts, read 3,593,936 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suesbal View Post

Laporte was kidnapped Oct 10, '70. The first action under the WMA was Oct 12. Laporte died Oct 17 while in captivity. It is arguable whether Laporte's captors intended to kill him at the outset.

Quote:
No one said it was something " new ".

The poster wasn't talking about the time period of when the War Measures Act was invoked, but about 2001.
The Was Measures would be new to Americans, but not to Canadians. Which changes the perspective, relevantly to 2001..

Last edited by arr430; 09-20-2021 at 11:49 PM..

Old 09-22-2021, 02:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
Ha. I have one descendant, a 30-year-old daughter who had tubal ligation in her mid-20s. . I do have a French BullGrandog, but he doesn't tell many stories.

But, yes, i have written down my experience, told it on video at the A&E studio as part of a pilot project for a friend's son who worked at the station and was doing a proposal for a show that told survivor stories but didn't get picked up, and I was a can't-quit-the-day-job writer who had several articles published on different aspects of the day, some in a local newspaper, one in a national magazine (the only freelance piece for which I was ever paid real money )

As a matter of fact, I am in Canada because I met and came to love a fellow writer I met on a forum on the Interwebz.

He had a book published, though. Show off.
You are just full of wonderful surprises!

Old 09-22-2021, 02:55 PM

Quote:
Laporte was kidnapped Oct 10, '70. The first action under the WMA was Oct 12. Laporte died Oct 17 while in captivity. It is arguable whether Laporte's captors intended to kill him at the outset.

The Was Measures would be new to Americans, but not to Canadians. Which changes the perspective, relevantly to 2001..
In what way?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada