Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-09-2021, 07:50 AM

3,444 posts, read 2,770,566 times

Advertisements

We’re coming up to the 20th anniversary of the attack on the World Trade Center. Do you remember what you were doing when you heard about it?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-09-2021, 08:02 AM

2,388 posts, read 1,558,939 times
vividly, i was at work downtown Ottawa, we had a TV in the kitchen and watched with horror...everyone was sent home
the streets were eerily quiet i will always remember the incredibly bright blue skies

Old 09-09-2021, 09:57 AM

14,735 posts, read 15,006,450 times
I was asleep in my bed. My farm-wife neighbours came yelling and pounding on the door to wake me up to tell me that North America was under aerial attack by enemies whose identities were as yet unknown. We watched a little bit of the news for more information for a short while (which wasn't very informative). Then we all immediately went out in our pick-up trucks and spent the rest of the day shopping and double-stocking up very fully on essential supplies for our families and farms and livestock. That was because on TV there had been some speculation and fears from newscasters about a war starting on home soil that could involve both USA and Canada and could interfere with supply chains in both countries. We wanted to be ahead of any lineups and fully stocked up before public panic shopping started in the event their was anything to the speculation.

Last edited by Zoisite; 09-09-2021 at 10:08 AM..

Old 09-09-2021, 10:47 AM

2,289 posts, read 1,565,465 times
Was painting the new house I had moved into. My next-door neighbor worked at the Pentagon but had gone for a medical. The next occupant of that house died of Covid.

Old 09-09-2021, 11:59 AM

10,085 posts, read 1,020,902 times
I was driving to work - I worked for a newspaper - when I came into the office - everyone was talking - TV's were on - second plane hit when I was sitting at my desk - people were crying -
one woman waiting to hear about her husband who worked in WTC - he was okay.

I left work early and watched TV into the night. Very, very sad day.

Old 09-09-2021, 12:02 PM

219 posts, read 160,793 times
DD was 11 days old. We were up for her early morning feed and DH turned on the TV.

Zoisite, where were you living then? We're Northern BC, were watching TV all day and I don't remember ever hearing anything about the possibility of a war. Just the concern of more planes crashing in large population centres until they were all grounded.

Old 09-09-2021, 12:59 PM

18,504 posts, read 15,533,632 times
I didn't have to be in the office until 10am that day, but I was up early, before 6 am.

In those days I usually read my newspaper, but for some weird reason I decided to turn on the TV. Something I rarely if ever did in the mornings, as I like my quiet.

I saw the image of the burning tower and thought another bombing had taken place. I don't remember what the broadcasters were saying about the incident, but a bomb is what I thought, since the World Trade Centre had been bombed in the past.
I phoned a close friend, who asked me if I knew what "&^%$#$%" time it was . I told him to turn on his TV. He asked what channel and I remember saying it didn't matter, it was on all the channels, even the weather network.

We watched in horror when the second tower got hit. It was surreal. Time kind of stopped.

I remember phoning my mother. I was on the phone with her when the first tower fell. I can still hear her repeating in a hollow voice, " this is real, this is real ", as if trying to convince herself.

Having been up in the World Trade Centre, I knew how big they were. That just made the images on TV more horrific.

I had to eventually get ready and go to work. People on the Skytrain seemed very quiet. I worked in a federally regulated company. We had to have all the blinds pulled down. Not sure what good that does during daytime, but it was mandated by the code were were now under. I suppose they were worried about targets in Canada, especially since we were letting all the US bound planes land here.

Old 09-09-2021, 02:17 PM

88,508 posts, read 84,673,021 times
I didn't hear about it.

I was on the 43rd floor of One WTC when American Airlines 11 slammed into the building.

One of the more inane things I said to my escape-mate after we got out and were on the street looking up was, "I wonder if anyone outside the city knows this is going on."

I am always interested in other people's stories of That Day.

Last edited by Mightyqueen801; 09-09-2021 at 02:26 PM..

Old 09-09-2021, 02:33 PM

18,504 posts, read 15,533,632 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
I didn't hear about it.

I was on the 43rd floor of One WTC when American Airlines 11 slammed into the building.

One of the more inane things I said to my escape-mate after we got out and were on the street looking up was, "I wonder if anyone outside the city knows this is going on."

I am always interested in other people's stories of That Day.
I can't imagine what you went through.

Old 09-09-2021, 03:36 PM

3,623 posts, read 3,403,707 times
Holy hannah, Mightyqueen--that must have been something. Glad you got out safely.

My story: my wife and I were, as usual, having our morning coffee and watching the Today show on NBC. It was its usual friendly, fluffy morning show--until it wasn't. It cut away shortly after the first aircraft hit the building, to a news report, with live coverage of the WTC. So we were watching when the second aircraft hit. And we watched the towers collapse, live on TV.

Of course, as the morning went by, we saw news about the attack on the Pentagon, and the aircraft that went down in Pennsylvania.

Neither my wife nor I went to work that day; we each called in sick, and were glued to the TV for the next few hours.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada