Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-04-2021, 02:33 PM

3,464 posts, read 2,794,010 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoisite View Post
And contrary to some people's popular belief, the most densely populated part of Canada is NOT the center of Canada's universe, even though some of the people there may like to believe it is.

You’re right - Vancouver is the center of Canada’s universe.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-04-2021, 03:34 PM

219 posts, read 161,452 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suesbal View Post
Is the passenger train service Canada now has pitiful? Do dispatchers put passenger trains in sidings to let freights through?
Yes they do as freight has right-of-way. See my original response for an example.

If you look up VIA Rail on YouTube, you will be able to find videos from professional travelers where they have long delays or are even taken off the train and put in cabs to their final destination.

Old 10-04-2021, 06:32 PM

3,625 posts, read 3,414,985 times
Here's a fun little gadget:

https://tsimobile.viarail.ca/

Basically, it tracks (heh) a Via train in real time. The train is positioned on a map you can zoom in and out, and it indicates the train's speed and direction of travel, the next stop, and the estimated time of arrival there. Watch long enough, and you'll actually see the pointer indicating the train's location move.

Just for fun, right now, I selected Train 1 (westbound Canadian to Vancouver), and as I type this, I can see that the train is travelling west, that the next stop is Winnipeg in an hour and 37 minutes, and that the train's speed is 111 km/h.

That's interesting, but what's even more interesting when you follow a train along, is when the train is standing still (0 km/h) in the middle of nowhere. It may be waiting for a signal to proceed--like American trains, Canadian trains generally use a block signalling system, and it's always possible that the next two blocks are not clear--but it is equally likely that the train has pulled over onto a siding while a freight train passes.

Old 10-04-2021, 09:02 PM

219 posts, read 161,452 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChevySpoons View Post

Basically, it tracks (heh) a Via train in real time. The train is positioned on a map you can zoom in and out, and it indicates the train's speed and direction of travel, the next stop, and the estimated time of arrival there. Watch long enough, and you'll actually see the pointer indicating the train's location move.

Just for fun, right now, I selected Train 1 (westbound Canadian to Vancouver), and as I type this, I can see that the train is travelling west, that the next stop is Winnipeg in an hour and 37 minutes, and that the train's speed is 111 km/h.

That's interesting, but what's even more interesting when you follow a train along, is when the train is standing still (0 km/h) in the middle of nowhere. It may be waiting for a signal to proceed--like American trains, Canadian trains generally use a block signalling system, and it's always possible that the next two blocks are not clear--but it is equally likely that the train has pulled over onto a siding while a freight train passes.
Thanks. I'll keep that link for the next time I decide to train home from Burns Lake. That way I won't keep my sister and her husband hanging down at the tracks with me for a couple of hours while we wait on VIA's best guess.

Old 10-05-2021, 11:07 AM

18,504 posts, read 15,567,829 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChevySpoons View Post

Great link!

Haven't been on a VIA train in years, but when I worked on VIA back in the early 80's, we had no electronic communication between onboard service staff.

Every time the train stopped, someone would ask " why did we stop? " The answer of course was usually to let the freight train pass. Although one time it was to back up and pick up one of our staff members who decided to make snow angels by the station.

Old 10-08-2021, 10:05 AM

193 posts, read 217,214 times
I would personally love an HSR network between Toronto-Ottawa-Montreal. That would be awesome but we would need the population to double/triple in this region and people need to change the way they think about transportation. We would have to re-program the entire car-oriented infrastructure.

Currently, the population of Southern Ontario + Greater Montreal is about 17 million. If this number triples to 51 million, then it could be feasible.

Also, I think the GTA can really benefit from upgrading the GO trains to travel at a higher speed and also reducing stops in between. Union Station-Hamilton/Oshawa/Kitchener should take no more than 30-40 minutes.

Old 10-08-2021, 11:44 AM

22,923 posts, read 15,500,035 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jamesse View Post
I would personally love an HSR network between Toronto-Ottawa-Montreal. That would be awesome but we would need the population to double/triple in this region and people need to change the way they think about transportation. We would have to re-program the entire car-oriented infrastructure.

Currently, the population of Southern Ontario + Greater Montreal is about 17 million. If this number triples to 51 million, then it could be feasible.

Also, I think the GTA can really benefit from upgrading the GO trains to travel at a higher speed and also reducing stops in between. Union Station-Hamilton/Oshawa/Kitchener should take no more than 30-40 minutes.
The trains are already capable, the rail-beds are not and probably won't be for a long time when considering the number of level crossings and the like that require speed restrictions.

Old 10-08-2021, 02:24 PM

3,464 posts, read 2,794,010 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BruSan View Post
The trains are already capable, the rail-beds are not and probably won't be for a long time when considering the number of level crossings and the like that require speed restrictions.
Somehow, back in the old days, dispatchers used to get passenger trains going 100 mph and freights going half that speed down the track without incident.

Old 10-08-2021, 05:26 PM

7,489 posts, read 4,959,146 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJ Brazen_3133 View Post
Do you think High Speed Rail is viable for Canada? Do you want this option for your country?

Canada's main population centers are all on relatively linear path. They are almost too close for jets, but too far for car. Vancouver to Calgary, to Regina, to Winnipeg is a good example. With a detour for Edmonton in there. Then there is the Windsor to QBC corridor. Maybe you can add in Halifax, and one more Maritime province stop. From Winnipeg, you can curl around the Great Lakes to GTA to connect whole country

It is basically a straight path unlike American Cities and they are almost spaced within the realm for HSR viability From what I read on Wiki, the idea has been thrown around. The Windsor to Quebec City has been proposed in the past. Via Rail which is the regular train service gets most of its customers in that very corridor. According the wiki it is in excess of 4 mil passengers annually. If that route was even faster, I can only imagine more will get on.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/High-speed_rail_in_Canada

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Via_Rail

How much demand is there to get from Vancouver to Calgary/Edmonton, or from Winnipeg to Calgary, Vancouver, or Toronto? What I find unique about Via Rail is that it goes north into Windsor, Prince Rupert, Prince George, somewhere deep into Quebec too. If you do HSR, maybe throw in something for your northerly brethens and stick a north route from the major cities to Yukon/Whitehorse, Goose Bay, St John, Fort McMurray, Yellowknife etc etc. It can help develop those regions more.

You can always fly to next city over, but the trains give you more leg room, lounges, observation deck, dining cars, even showers, and more numerous toilets. Plane lavatories get nasty after so much use. If you get true HSR like plus 200mph, you still get there quickly. Even crossing the country, trains give you sleeper cars so you can get a comfortable sleep. Just take a night departure, have dinner on train, go to sleep wake next morning on the other side of country.

Its expensive, but you can always let the Chinese build it for you.

Edit, also with the cross country overnight ride, means you dont have to get up early to get to airport, or get fly mid day, and basically waste that whole day. Now you can fly at night, but planes dont give you a nice comfy bed unless you fly Emirates or First Class. Now roomettes, and sleeper cars are also expensive, but you can probably make all overnight ride sleepers and roomettes. Trains are bigger and can give more leg room. You can probably design coach class seats that recline more. More recline, better the sleep.
BBM

I'm curious what you mean by letting the Chinese build a Canadian railway. I have an uncle who died building the Burma Railway. I'm guessing that's not what you mean. Perhaps you mean that China should own a High Speed Rail in Canada? China doesn't do anything without long term profit and ownership. They are not building in Afghanistan to help the Taliban or the Afghani people. China wants resources for China.

Various parts of Canada have debated high speed rail for decades. So far, it has not been necessary.

Old 10-09-2021, 04:59 AM

3,625 posts, read 3,414,985 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suesbal View Post
Somehow, back in the old days, dispatchers used to get passenger trains going 100 mph and freights going half that speed down the track without incident.
They still do. Look at the "Moving Train" link that I posted, and you'll see that some trains do indeed get up to 160 km/h (100 mph) in spots.

But not everywhere. High speeds, such as 100 mph, are impractical where the train must negotiate hills or sharp curves, or where there are level crossings.

One must always remember that trains are not airlines, going between Vancouver and Calgary, or Toronto and Halifax. They're more like buses, or even better, a subway system. Yes, you may be going between Toronto and Montreal, but there will be those who are going between Toronto and Belleville, or between Trenton and Montreal, or between Guildwood and Brockville. Those people must be served, just as those going from Lawrence to King on the Toronto subway, in spite of the fact that the "Yonge line" only technically runs between Finch and Union. In other words, trains are very good at picking people up and dropping them off, where they need to go. Put in a high speed line between Toronto and Montreal only, and watch ridership shrink. Why? Because not everybody needs to go between Toronto and Montreal.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada