Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-04-2021, 07:26 AM

26,882 posts, read 38,032,223 times

Advertisements

Your Acajack knows Orleans (Orléans) quite well!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-07-2021, 04:43 PM

3,563 posts, read 5,377,574 times
To get back onto the thread: When I entered grade one in Vermillion Bay, Ontario (population zip) I actually asked why the native kids were not coming to our new school building. I had actually been on the Reserve and saw how they lived: 12 volt lights, trapper style cabins half way into the ground, and no road in, just a path. I didn't see a well.

I had no idea what they did for firewood in the winter. Eagle Lake can get minus 55 below winds, and colder. We were up in the banana belt hill up from the post office and train tracks. It only got 45 below for two weeks at a time. This is when polio and TB were still a major problem.

My job was stacking firewood. Our expansive four room home had a wood stove, some electricity, and an two hole outhouse. No house plumbing or house heat. We were, in comparison, "stylin". The well was four houses down. All is comparative. The strap was still used in Ontario schools, and I saw in grade two some pretty aggressive use of it by teachers. But at least we had choices; we moved.

Yes, I wore orange all last week. My daughter in Northern Cree..............and me.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada