Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-17-2011, 11:25 PM

1 posts, read 1,511 times

Advertisements

I am immigrant of canada since june 2007. I went back home for vacation for a month i brought my PR card but my passport is about to expire in 5 month, do I need to renew it? or they can consider since my PR card will expire on 2012. I'm planning to apply for citizenship this year
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-06-2012, 12:29 PM

2 posts, read 2,596 times
I have landed immigrant status, have a social insurance card lived in canada19 years have two canadian daughters, have been in cyprus, a few years want to get my citizanship, i hold a uk passport,
i dont have a pr card. can i apply once i return?

Old 01-06-2012, 12:41 PM

2 posts, read 2,596 times
I have landed immigrant status, have a social insurance card lived in canada19 years have two canadian daughters, have been in cyprus, a few years want to get my citizanship, i hold a uk passport,

Old 01-06-2012, 01:00 PM

1,264 posts, read 3,861,425 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by clarkson View Post
When you return to Canada from an overseas trip, you need
- a valid Permanent Resident card , or
- a Travel Document

You'll find all the information you need on this web page
Permanent Resident Card: How to apply

p.s.
I re-read your message. If you are currently in Cyprus, then go to the nearest Canadian Embassy to apply for a Travel Document, that will enable you to return to Canada.

http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/informa...ons/travel.asp

Last edited by dougie86; 01-06-2012 at 01:03 PM.. Reason: added p.s.

Old 01-09-2012, 10:21 PM

42,554 posts, read 86,968,624 times
Unless things have changed, they have no way of knowing how long you were gone. When I was a landed immigrant, I was gone for almost three years, and just landed at the airport and picked up where I left off. Since you'll be traveling on a US passport, just fly from New York to Greece and back, then re-enter Canada on a bus as if you had been on a shopping weekend. If you have a passport card, they will never see your real passport with travel stamps in it.

Dougie86, if you're in Cyprus, the nearest Canadian embassy will be in Beirut. Not exactly a bus ride.

Old 01-09-2012, 10:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtur88 View Post
Unless things have changed, they have no way of knowing how long you were gone. When I was a landed immigrant, I was gone for almost three years, and just landed at the airport and picked up where I left off. Since you'll be traveling on a US passport, just fly from New York to Greece and back, then re-enter Canada on a bus as if you had been on a shopping weekend. If you have a passport card, they will never see your real passport with travel stamps in it.
Yes, new rules are in place to catch the bad guys. And if they suspect that a fraud has been committed to cheat on the residency requirement (2 years out of 5), they can pursue it.
"Canada says this information will help identify people who over stay their visa, track the departure of people subject to removal orders, and verify that people seeking immigration and employment insurance benefits are meeting Canadian residency requirements."
Harper, Obama sign border security deal | The Vancouver Observer
Quote:
Dougie86, if you're in Cyprus, the nearest Canadian embassy will be in Beirut. Not exactly a bus ride.
OMG Hopefully clarkson finds his way home somehow.

Old 01-10-2012, 06:30 AM

42,554 posts, read 86,968,624 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dougie86 View Post
Yes, new rules are in place to catch the bad guys. And if they suspect that a fraud has been committed to cheat on the residency requirement (2 years out of 5), they can pursue it.
Two years out of five is a long way away from a three month vacation that the OP is talking about. Unless you're talking about a three month vacation as qualifying for a "bad guy".

What they "can" do if they suspect fraud is not necessarily the same as what they routinely do in every case.

Old 01-10-2012, 03:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by clarkson View Post
- I have landed immigrant status,
- have a social insurance card
- lived in canada19 years
- have two canadian daughters,

- have been in cyprus, a few years want to get my citizanship, i hold a uk passport, i dont have a pr card. can i apply once i return?
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtur88 View Post
Two years out of five is a long way away from a three month vacation that the OP is talking about. Unless you're talking about a three month vacation as qualifying for a "bad guy".
clarkson's post (dated January the 16th, 2012, at 12:41 PM) is self-explanatory.

And I wasn't replying to the OP Patonikosh's post of May-16-2008, which was 3-and-a-half-years ago.

Quote:
What they "can" do if they suspect fraud is not necessarily the same as what they routinely do in every case.
Again, you're not reading properly. Don't jump on the poster who merely responded to your question.

Quote:
"Canada says this information will help identify people who over stay their visa, track the departure of people subject to removal orders, and verify that people seeking immigration and employment insurance benefits are meeting Canadian residency requirements."

source (click on it to read the full article): Harper, Obama sign border security deal | The Vancouver Observer

Old 01-11-2012, 12:35 PM

11,155 posts, read 29,316,613 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackRockNomad View Post
I will be severing ties from Canada in order to take advantage of tax-free status in the country I am moving to related to a job transfer. I will likely be away from Canada for 3-5 years or more. I do not want to give up my Canadian legal status (i.e. Permanent Resident) but I understand I must be a resident of Canada for 2 years of the previous 5 in order to keep it. Will I have to reapply for Permanent Resident (PR) status when I decide to return to Canada in the future? Will the fact I had PR status help to get it again in the future?
I think that makes me made Because you want all the Benifits and Rights of being a Canadian Citizen but Un-Willing to pay for it..Since the Canadian tax payer (me and other fellow Canadians) who will be paying for all those rights and freedoms you enjoy... But since are not willing to pay for yourself makes me kind of mad and think either you want to become a Canadian and pay taxes like eveyone else has too and enjoy all that comes with being a Canadian Citizen or you do not.

Old 01-11-2012, 04:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTOlover View Post
I think that makes me made Because you want all the Benifits and Rights of being a Canadian Citizen but Un-Willing to pay for it..Since the Canadian tax payer (me and other fellow Canadians) who will be paying for all those rights and freedoms you enjoy... But since are not willing to pay for yourself makes me kind of mad and think either you want to become a Canadian and pay taxes like eveyone else has too and enjoy all that comes with being a Canadian Citizen or you do not.
I can appreciate your empathy. There are two scenarios here that joes-on-the-street often get mixed up.

1) Canadian citizens and PRs (who have completed their 2/5 years) are free to move to work and reside in other countries. All they have to do is to inform CRA and pay no taxes if they sell off their primary homes. They receive neither child & family benefits nor MSP.

In the case of my neighbor, he is transferred to the European Hqs of a Canadian company. His house is left vacant. He informed CRA & MSP of his change of domicile, and continues to pay his property tax on his house to the City. He and his family do not use our healthcare services and his children are not entitled to Child Tax Benefit payments.

2) This category of newcomers are the bane of one's life. And Ottawa has dealt with some of them.

Quote:
The federal government is set to crack down on 4,700 more people believed to have obtained citizenship or permanent resident status illegally in what’s being dubbed the biggest citizenship fraud sweep in Canadian history.

........... false evidence — indicating that they were living in Quebec when they were not — to support their cases for permanent residency.

............ filing or contributing to the filing of 861 false tax returns for at least 380 clients between 2004 and 2007. The returns allegedly were then used to claim refunds for child care and property taxes as well as the provincial sales-tax credit.

source: Canadian citizenship to be stripped from thousands in historic fraud sweep | News | National Post
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada