Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-16-2021, 07:19 PM

47 posts, read 32,066 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post
In English? Geez, I'll have to think about that.
I'm surprised there isn't a source in English that is accurate. What about sources in French?

Quote:
Equalization is funded by all federal taxpayers in Canada. As a six-figure earner in Quebec I pay more into the Canadian equalization pot than someone who works minimum wage at Timmies in Alberta.

It's true that the "have" provinces like Alberta (for decades) don't get any, while the "have nots" (Quebec and 6-7 others) do, but it's not as simple as you're making it out to be.

The Alberta government doesn't write a cheque out to the Quebec government every year.

And equalization only represents a relatively small fraction of Quebec government revenues anyway.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Natnasci View Post
Quebec and four other provinces. Manitoba, Nova Scotia, PEI, and New Brunswick.

Alberta was a have not province in 1957!

Equalization payments are not understood by a lot of people. Politicians, especially as of late, in Alberta have pushed a false narrative.
How is it complicated? I ask genuinely.
We pay money to a province that is creating a separate nation. Correct?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-16-2021, 07:21 PM

47 posts, read 32,066 times
Quote:
Haha. Nice try.

I am just about the furthest thing from a Republican American that you could imagine.

I stand by what I said about the UN's human rights body, which has members on it like China, Russia, Pakistan, Somalia, India, the Philippines (ever hear of Duterte?)...
Current Quebec politics look a lot like Donald Trump politics. Is that fair to state?

Old 11-17-2021, 07:13 AM

26,875 posts, read 38,004,819 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by redfirehose View Post
Current Quebec politics look a lot like Donald Trump politics. Is that fair to state?
No, it's not. It would be a rather low-information take, based on too high a consumption of American political media gobbledygook.

Old 11-17-2021, 07:14 AM

Quote:

How is it complicated? I ask genuinely.
You're (deliberately) not paying attention.

Old 11-17-2021, 07:17 AM

Quote:
I'm surprised there isn't a source in English that is accurate. What about sources in French?
The Gazette is not reliable because it practises activist journalism for the anglo community. It's their right to do so but as I said... not the best source.

For people who write in English try Konrad Yakabuski, Paul Wells, Althia Raj, Chantal HĂ©bert, Les Perreaux.

Or Norman Spector on Twitter.

Old 11-17-2021, 10:13 AM

18,504 posts, read 15,540,438 times
Quote:
You're (deliberately) not paying attention.
New account member pushing buttons.

It's not difficult to see what they are doing.

Old 11-17-2021, 11:30 PM

3,624 posts, read 3,406,449 times
Quote:
Incorrect. We (that is, Albertans, and I am one) pay our taxes to the federal government, which then apportions it out among the provinces that need equalization payments. Equalization is just one of the federal government's expenses: the federal civil service, the military, overseas embassies and consulates, the RCMP, customs and border officers, and so on and so on, are other federal government expenses. No individual knows where their individual tax dollars go, given the vast responsibilities of the federal government.

Up above, Acajack very correctly said, "The Alberta government doesn't write a cheque out to the Quebec government every year." Neither does Ontario, Newfoundland, BC, or Saskatchewan. Individual taxpayers in all those provinces pay their taxes to the federal government, to be distributed as the federal government sees fit, in accordance with the federal government's constitutional powers. At any rate, the have-provinces do not, through their provincial governments, pay anything directly to Quebec. Or, for that matter, to PEI, Manitoba, Nova Scotia, or New Brunswick; all of which also receive equalization payments.

Last edited by ChevySpoons; 11-17-2021 at 11:53 PM..

Old 11-18-2021, 05:59 AM

22,923 posts, read 15,480,377 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChevySpoons View Post
Incorrect. We (that is, Albertans, and I am one) pay our taxes to the federal government, which then apportions it out among the provinces that need equalization payments. Equalization is just one of the federal government's expenses: the federal civil service, the military, overseas embassies and consulates, the RCMP, customs and border officers, and so on and so on, are other federal government expenses. No individual knows where their individual tax dollars go, given the vast responsibilities of the federal government.

Up above, Acajack very correctly said, "The Alberta government doesn't write a cheque out to the Quebec government every year." Neither does Ontario, Newfoundland, BC, or Saskatchewan. Individual taxpayers in all those provinces pay their taxes to the federal government, to be distributed as the federal government sees fit, in accordance with the federal government's constitutional powers. At any rate, the have-provinces do not, through their provincial governments, pay anything directly to Quebec. Or, for that matter, to PEI, Manitoba, Nova Scotia, or New Brunswick; all of which also receive equalization payments.
And further to this; whatever formulaic calculation is used, it came about due to Provincial agreement.

All provinces should have had the foresight to consider the possibility that one day they might be contributing to another's coffers in direct contradiction or competition to their own economic plans and either signed on or off at that time.

One could micro-dissect this to infinity, whereas: why should Ontario allow money garnered through taxation to flow to PEI - both provinces grow potatoes. Why should money flow west when the Niagara valley is a wine producer in competition with Kelowna?

If considering/using the Loony in a purely financial arena; why should a little thing like an obsession with language laws be the sole measure of what's chosen to upset the 'familial harmony' applecart?

In summation, I think the whole thing doesn't go far enough and should take into consideration things like natural disasters such as "mad cow disease" and yes; even floods of biblical proportions. Why should recompense assistance for regional disasters rely upon the charitable feelings of Ottawa at the time of happenstance?

Old 11-18-2021, 10:55 AM

18,504 posts, read 15,540,438 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BruSan View Post
And further to this; whatever formulaic calculation is used, it came about due to Provincial agreement.

All provinces should have had the foresight to consider the possibility that one day they might be contributing to another's coffers in direct contradiction or competition to their own economic plans and either signed on or off at that time.

One could micro-dissect this to infinity, whereas: why should Ontario allow money garnered through taxation to flow to PEI - both provinces grow potatoes. Why should money flow west when the Niagara valley is a wine producer in competition with Kelowna?

If considering/using the Loony in a purely financial arena; why should a little thing like an obsession with language laws be the sole measure of what's chosen to upset the 'familial harmony' applecart?

In summation, I think the whole thing doesn't go far enough and should take into consideration things like natural disasters such as "mad cow disease" and yes; even floods of biblical proportions. Why should recompense assistance for regional disasters rely upon the charitable feelings of Ottawa at the time of happenstance?
Gee, it's like we are one country!

Old 11-18-2021, 10:57 AM

2,390 posts, read 1,561,850 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Natnasci View Post
Gee, it's like we are one country!
One Nation Under a groove a la Funkadelic
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada