U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-31-2022, 08:46 PM

3,178 posts, read 2,590,965 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
Remember, I'm in a foreign country with no family or friends.
You may be in a foreign country, but trust me, you have lots of friends here.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-01-2022, 08:43 AM

78,823 posts, read 72,861,578 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChevySpoons View Post
You may be in a foreign country, but trust me, you have lots of friends here.
Thank you very much. Yes, I do.

Old 08-01-2022, 09:17 AM

22,747 posts, read 13,824,941 times
This time of life is interesting to say the least if for nothing else, it's ability to reverse your course of traditional thinking.

Whereas for the better part of your life, you spend your time thinking of ways to enjoy yourself more; eg: another car, a new garden tractor, build an addition on the house and fill it with furniture. etc., etc. along come the realization that your life is finite with no certainty as to how much time or how it will all end.

We all tend to think living to a ripe old age with no major health issues is in the cards, with a gentle passing in our sleep, in our home, in our bed. Of course the realities of life in the form of friends, relatives and acquaintances passing in a variety of ways contrary to our wishful thinking puts an end to that arrogant fantasy.

DW and I are now at the time in our lives of looking at "stuff" and at each other with the thoughts expressed of; "goodness me, what if I go and leave you with this pile?"

There is something cathartic about reaching this stage of relinquishing a hold on all this superfluous crap! The local Habitat For Humanity and recycle centers are all on a first name basis with me now.

Then, along comes a discussion like this one to add yet one more element to our individual 'end-of-times' preparedness.

Old 08-01-2022, 01:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BruSan View Post
This time of life is interesting to say the least if for nothing else, it's ability to reverse your course of traditional thinking.

Whereas for the better part of your life, you spend your time thinking of ways to enjoy yourself more; eg: another car, a new garden tractor, build an addition on the house and fill it with furniture. etc., etc. along come the realization that your life is finite with no certainty as to how much time or how it will all end.

We all tend to think living to a ripe old age with no major health issues is in the cards, with a gentle passing in our sleep, in our home, in our bed. Of course the realities of life in the form of friends, relatives and acquaintances passing in a variety of ways contrary to our wishful thinking puts an end to that arrogant fantasy.

DW and I are now at the time in our lives of looking at "stuff" and at each other with the thoughts expressed of; "goodness me, what if I go and leave you with this pile?"

There is something cathartic about reaching this stage of relinquishing a hold on all this superfluous crap! The local Habitat For Humanity and recycle centers are all on a first name basis with me now.

Then, along comes a discussion like this one to add yet one more element to our individual 'end-of-times' preparedness.
When my daughter graduated from high school, I moved from a three-bedroom house to a two-bedroom condo. I got rid of so much stuff. Ten years later, stuck home during COVID, I got rid of tons of crap I somehow had accumulated in that decade.

Mom died in 2020 at 91 in her own bed in the six-bedroom, 3 bath home with two attics and a full basement where she had lived for 63 years. She had gotten rid of a lot of stuff, but there was still so much. That was a nightmare.

I still have too much in my house, including stuff from Mom's house now. But I am in Canada and don't have to look at it for now. My daughter should hope I don't croak up here.

Old 08-02-2022, 08:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
When my daughter graduated from high school, I moved from a three-bedroom house to a two-bedroom condo. I got rid of so much stuff. Ten years later, stuck home during COVID, I got rid of tons of crap I somehow had accumulated in that decade.

Mom died in 2020 at 91 in her own bed in the six-bedroom, 3 bath home with two attics and a full basement where she had lived for 63 years. She had gotten rid of a lot of stuff, but there was still so much. That was a nightmare.

I still have too much in my house, including stuff from Mom's house now. But I am in Canada and don't have to look at it for now. My daughter should hope I don't croak up here.
I know something about what you were confronted with upon the passing of your mother leaving a house full of "stuff".

Father passed in 1988 leaving mom to live another 8 years alone in a house they'd built together in 1949, during which she chain-smoked unfiltered Export A's. The whole house and it's contents reeked of nicotine with everything having a coating you could scrape off with a putty knife. We agonized over all those things you normally would - what to do with many things your parents greatly valued.

A 25 cubic yard dumpster in the driveway was the final solution for all interior items. That bothered me for weeks after, but all items if kept, would require too much careful cleaning to salvage and most of them would retain the odor of tar/nicotine forever. Even all the photo albums were kept on a high shelf exposed to the worst of that tar/nicotine and all those memories were just ruined beyond repair.

The house itself required all hardwood flooring to be sanded and refinished and a commercial grade of paint designed specifically for the covering up of a smoker's mess to do the entire inside, allowed the place, a 3 bdrm bungalow in Aurora to sell within one day.

Old 08-02-2022, 01:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BruSan View Post
I know something about what you were confronted with upon the passing of your mother leaving a house full of "stuff".

Father passed in 1988 leaving mom to live another 8 years alone in a house they'd built together in 1949, during which she chain-smoked unfiltered Export A's. The whole house and it's contents reeked of nicotine with everything having a coating you could scrape off with a putty knife. We agonized over all those things you normally would - what to do with many things your parents greatly valued.

A 25 cubic yard dumpster in the driveway was the final solution for all interior items. That bothered me for weeks after, but all items if kept, would require too much careful cleaning to salvage and most of them would retain the odor of tar/nicotine forever. Even all the photo albums were kept on a high shelf exposed to the worst of that tar/nicotine and all those memories were just ruined beyond repair.

The house itself required all hardwood flooring to be sanded and refinished and a commercial grade of paint designed specifically for the covering up of a smoker's mess to do the entire inside, allowed the place, a 3 bdrm bungalow in Aurora to sell within one day.
My brother did some necessary repairs, but we sold the house mostly as-is. Two of the bathrooms were 1957, and the newer one was 1970. In one day we got an offer for asking price, no contingencies. Had another over 25k over, but they wanted a lead paint inspection, and this and that, and we wanted a fast sale.

Old 08-02-2022, 09:34 PM

33,321 posts, read 35,459,711 times
Maid may not have been around in 1980, but my mother was suffering from terminal cancer and I traveled from BC to Ontario for a last visit. She was in terrible shape and at first did not even recognize me. She asked me to talk to the doctor and wanted no more drugs except pain killers. The doctor agreed. She died the next day, November 19th, her 60th birthday.

Last Wednesday a close neighbor and friend chose maid. As far as I'm concerned maid is a blessing for terminally ill patients.

Old 08-09-2022, 08:09 AM

2,490 posts, read 1,411,047 times
In the mafia, you have to kill someone to be considered a “made man”. So it is with MAID.

Old 08-09-2022, 09:55 AM

13,138 posts, read 11,666,789 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suesbal View Post
In the mafia, you have to kill someone to be considered a “made man”. So it is with MAID.
The meaning of IMPROPRIETY is: an improper or indecorous act or remark.

Old 08-09-2022, 02:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoisite View Post
The meaning of IMPROPRIETY is: an improper or indecorous act or remark.

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada