Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-29-2021, 03:03 PM

3,462 posts, read 2,786,747 times

Advertisements

In 1900.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mho3LleTshg
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-30-2021, 12:57 AM

3,624 posts, read 3,411,405 times
Thanks for posting that; it was interesting, and despite growing up in southern Ontario, I did not know about it.

I like The History Guy's little documentaries. They're always something that one doesn't tend to find in history class; and sometimes, they fill in the gaps or provide closure to what one did learn in history class. Thanks again.

One thing I wish The History Guy (and other-non-Canadian YouTubers) would do is to stop referring to Canadian towns as "[insert name here], Canada." Canada is huge; and "Thorold, Canada" would be difficult for most Canadians to place. I know where Thorold is because I've been through it, but I'd suggest that even those of us in a place like Toronto, which is so close, would struggle to find it on a map.

No, it should be "City, Province" and then "Canada," if one feels that is absolutely necessary. If it can be "Springfield, Illinois," and "Casper, Wyoming," without adding, "United States"; then why can't it be "Marathon, Ontario," "Red Deer, Alberta" or indeed, "Thorold, Ontario"? Because "Marathon, Canada," "Red Deer, Canada," and "Thorold, Canada" may all be in Canada, but are separated by thousands of miles.

Old 11-30-2021, 06:32 PM

3,973 posts, read 5,770,752 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChevySpoons View Post
Thanks for posting that; it was interesting, and despite growing up in southern Ontario, I did not know about it.

I like The History Guy's little documentaries. They're always something that one doesn't tend to find in history class; and sometimes, they fill in the gaps or provide closure to what one did learn in history class. Thanks again.

One thing I wish The History Guy (and other-non-Canadian YouTubers) would do is to stop referring to Canadian towns as "[insert name here], Canada." Canada is huge; and "Thorold, Canada" would be difficult for most Canadians to place. I know where Thorold is because I've been through it, but I'd suggest that even those of us in a place like Toronto, which is so close, would struggle to find it on a map.

No, it should be "City, Province" and then "Canada," if one feels that is absolutely necessary. If it can be "Springfield, Illinois," and "Casper, Wyoming," without adding, "United States"; then why can't it be "Marathon, Ontario," "Red Deer, Alberta" or indeed, "Thorold, Ontario"? Because "Marathon, Canada," "Red Deer, Canada," and "Thorold, Canada" may all be in Canada, but are separated by thousands of miles.
I don't know but there must be some place in the US also called Thorold and the The History Guy is trying not to confuse the two. Maybe . The channel must be mostly geared towards American audiences. I do agree that the proper form of presentation is Municipality/Province and then Country if needed. There's a Windsor in Quebec and a Windsor in Ontario for instance so it's important to distinguish the two.

Old 11-30-2021, 06:48 PM

3,973 posts, read 5,770,752 times
That was an interesting piece. Note that American media back then was equally intrigued by happenings in Canada with newspapers as far away as San Diego reporting on the incident. Sadly, I do not think that is always the case anymore nowadays.

Old 11-30-2021, 07:26 PM

5,764 posts, read 11,373,540 times
That was an interesting bit of history that I had never heard or read about. I remember crossing the Welland Canal one time about 30 years ago, and was aware that it was built in the late 1800s. Although the History Guy did not say "Thorold, Ontario, Canada", at least he provided a map and mentioned that this event occurred in Ontario.

Just one year later, in nearby "Buffalo, New York, USA", the recently inaugurated President of the United States William McKinley was assassinated by an anarchist at the Pan American Exposition. That exposition was held in Buffalo in part due to another industrial marvel opened in 1895, the Adams Power Plant at Niagara Falls. That power plant was the first commercial scale alternating power plant in the world, and provided Buffalo with power to light up the Pan Am Exposition at night.

Both of these political-related events in the same era were intertwined with the progress of the industrial revolution in that part of North America.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada