Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-21-2021, 08:16 PM

7,309 posts, read 9,324,850 times

Advertisements

The days will be getting longer tomorrow!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-21-2021, 08:32 PM

18,504 posts, read 15,552,312 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by netwit View Post
The days will be getting longer tomorrow!
Great on the sunny prairie

Actually, yes, looking forward to longer days!

You would thing I'd be used to it by now, but every year when it's dark at 3:30 in the afternoon, I keep saying,
" I can't believe in summer I'm at the beach until 9 in the evening".

Merry whatever you celebrate or not Netwit!

Old 12-21-2021, 09:21 PM

14,735 posts, read 15,033,548 times
Yay !!!! I've been counting the days to solstice and the beginning of longer daylight hours.

Right now we have below freezing temps and are getting a down pour of ice-rain - that's tiny pebbles of wet ice falling and sticking to everything it makes contact with and forming solid icy bumps on everything. Solid ice everywhere. My umbrella had a coating of icy bumps frozen to the fabric. Man, oh man, that wet ice is hard to walk on, I feel like I should have suction cups on the soles of my boots to stop from slipping. Wheeee! What an adventure this winter is proving to be.

Old 12-21-2021, 09:51 PM

88,580 posts, read 84,777,093 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Natnasci View Post

You would thing I'd be used to it by now, but every year when it's dark at 3:30 in the afternoon, I keep saying,

Same here. It's as if I am surprised by it every year...but I am 63. Still, as a kid, once I knew about the Winter Solstice, I anticipated it.

Old 12-21-2021, 10:13 PM

3,624 posts, read 3,410,619 times
Quote:
You would thing I'd be used to it by now, but every year when it's dark at 3:30 in the afternoon, I keep saying, " I can't believe in summer I'm at the beach until 9 in the evening".
We get it back in the summer. I can't believe that for a few weeks around the June solstice, I can tee off at 6 PM and get in a full 18 holes before the sun sets.

Old 12-21-2021, 11:36 PM

7,363 posts, read 8,403,667 times
That is great news.

Old 12-22-2021, 01:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChevySpoons View Post
We get it back in the summer. I can't believe that for a few weeks around the June solstice, I can tee off at 6 PM and get in a full 18 holes before the sun sets.
I remember a few years ago I was down at Canada Place Pier, where the cruise ships dock downtown.
It was about 6:30 pm or so when I heard a couple say " we better start heading back to the hotel because it will be getting dark soon".

Not sure where they were from, but I often wondered what they were thinking when it was still twilight at 9:45 pm. End of the world perhaps

Old 12-22-2021, 01:29 PM

3,602 posts, read 2,307,469 times
Quote:
I remember a few years ago I was down at Canada Place Pier, where the cruise ships dock downtown.
It was about 6:30 pm or so when I heard a couple say " we better start heading back to the hotel because it will be getting dark soon".

Not sure where they were from, but I often wondered what they were thinking when it was still twilight at 9:45 pm. End of the world perhaps
My guess is Queensland. No daylight saving there.

Old 12-22-2021, 01:58 PM

61,705 posts, read 87,101,195 times
Quote:

Haha... Same here at the Baltic Sea. Today the sunset was at 3:23 PM. It doesn't bother me, though.

Old 12-22-2021, 02:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarisaMay View Post
My guess is Queensland. No daylight saving there.
They sounded American, so probably from the southern part of that country where the sun sets latest around 8pm.

One of my " funny " Australian stories is, one day in summer, I had just finished running the seawall, and was warming down by walking. Two lovely Australian ladies asked me what month did the harbour freeze over. I explained that the last time Vancouver's harbour froze over was probably in the last ice age.

They seemed surprised. Canada = Arctic
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada