Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-24-2022, 03:57 PM

14,641 posts, read 14,734,000 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suesbal View Post
Which immigrant table do you like best?
The international smorgasbord tables at the all-you-can-eat China Kitchen restaurant.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-24-2022, 11:43 PM

88,002 posts, read 83,827,560 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Natnasci View Post
Most Jamaicans settle in Ontario. Only a few thousand here in BC. I personally don't know any.

Filipinos though, I do. I would say they are also good at integrating.
Probably due to location. Jamaica is on this side of Canada, albeit a thousand+ miles south. The Philippines are closer to that side.

A Jamaican nurse came to the house just before Christmas. She told us how she made a bunch of rum cakes for friends and family.

Old 01-25-2022, 07:10 AM

26,762 posts, read 37,665,557 times
Let's not forget that Canada actively markets itself internationally as an immigration destination where only an extremely minimal level of integration to the host society is required.

As such it's not impossible that a decent share of the newcomers we attract will be people with less of an interest in starting anew with a new national-cultural identity, and who instead are keen on retaining the old country's ways while taking up residence and citizenship here.

Old 01-25-2022, 09:41 AM

7,363 posts, read 8,304,109 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post
Let's not forget that Canada actively markets itself internationally as an immigration destination where only an extremely minimal level of integration to the host society is required.

As such it's not impossible that a decent share of the newcomers we attract will be people with less of an interest in starting anew with a new national-cultural identity, and who instead are keen on retaining the old country's ways while taking up residence and citizenship here.
Not impossible??? That's exactly what happens in many cases. Even Stevie Wonder could see that.

Old 01-25-2022, 09:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by UrbanLuis View Post
Not impossible??? That's exactly what happens in many cases. Even Stevie Wonder could see that.
Well, yeah. I was trying to be diplomatic!

Old 01-25-2022, 10:52 AM

14,641 posts, read 14,734,000 times
What need is there for diplomacy? It's not needed. Canada sells itself as a MULTI-cultural country and that means it's only natural that immigrants are going to see it as a new home where they can retain their traditional ways that they're comfortable with while taking up residence and citizenship and start new lives for themselves. There is nothing wrong with that now any more so than when the very first immigrants set foot on this land and brought their traditional ways with them. If they had not brought their traditional ways with them back then they would not have survived in the new land and the same holds true now. It's not possible for anyone to start a new life as a blank slate.

There are no laws in Canada that says new immigrants must all become clones of clones of clones of the immigrants that came before them. There are no laws that say that certain groups of people are not allowed to have more close-knit communities than certain other groups or not allowed to integrate more easily than some other groups.

There are also no laws that say people of certain ethnic groups must accept invasion and inclusion of resentful strangers with chips on their shoulders who are angry because they haven't been as successful in their endeavours as the certain other ethnic groups have been. That goes both ways, for both the new people to the country who are just getting settled in and for those people who have already been settled here for a long time. If the late comer Latinos in a given area are resentful because the long time Sikh residents in that area are more industrious, prosperous and successful with stronger community and greater numbers than the Latinos have then instead of acting resentful it's up to the Latinos to emulate what the Sikhs have done to gain similar success for their own Latino community. Success doesn't rub off due to proximity and it doesn't get handed out on a silver platter. It has to be worked for.

Old 01-25-2022, 11:14 AM

I am not saying any of this is good or bad.

Just laying out the inevitable outcomes of Canada's immigration and multicultural policies, in response to questions about why Canadian society is evolving the way it is.

Other countries may have more assimilationist policies or a higher expectation in terms of efforts to integrate.

Someone could I suppose do an entire university degree studying which ones are most or least successful.

Old 01-25-2022, 11:50 AM

7,363 posts, read 8,304,109 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoisite View Post
It's not possible for anyone to start a new life as a blank slate.
Wrong, many of us actually have to. I did. There was NO other people of my own cultural or ethnic group around where I moved here.

Quote:
There are also no laws that say people of certain ethnic groups must accept invasion and inclusion of resentful strangers with chips on their shoulders who are angry because they haven't been as successful in their endeavours as the certain other ethnic groups have been. That goes both ways, for both the new people to the country who are just getting settled in and for those people who have already been settled here for a long time. If the late comer Latinos in a given area are resentful because the long time Sikh residents in that area are more industrious, prosperous and successful with stronger community and greater numbers than the Latinos have then instead of acting resentful it's up to the Latinos to emulate what the Sikhs have done to gain similar success for their own Latino community. Success doesn't rub off due to proximity and it doesn't get handed out on a silver platter. It has to be worked for.
Why are you bringing Latinos into this? Anyway since you brought up, Latinos are doing just fine and are not resentful towards anyone here. I think we assimilate better than most here in Canada actually. We are even more open to other groups than others are. Statistics actually prove this. Thank you for proving what I often suspected and that people think poorly of Latinos on here. God forbid we ever follow Sikhs examples of being so closed off, greedy and religious zealots.....On second thought Maybe you're right, we should follow SIkhs and stop caring about white Canadians. Specially such angry and resentful Canadians as yourself.

As far as I know Latinos have never put a bomb on a Canadian air plane.

Last edited by UrbanLuis; 01-25-2022 at 12:12 PM..

Old 01-25-2022, 11:51 AM

7,239 posts, read 9,212,921 times
Quote:
I am not saying any of this is good or bad.

Just laying out the inevitable outcomes of Canada's immigration and multicultural policies, in response to questions about why Canadian society is evolving the way it is.
Quote:
Well, yeah. I was trying to be diplomatic!
Quote:
Luis, you should know that in the 2020s we're not supposed to say that certain groups are better at integrating than others!
Sure you are!

But you mean assimilation, not integration I think.

Old 01-25-2022, 12:15 PM

18,492 posts, read 15,349,629 times
Quote:
Luis, you should know that in the 2020s we're not supposed to say that certain groups are better at integrating than others!
?

I have said it.

What I haven't agreed to was this.

" But what exactly makes Indian immigrants better than others? "

Immigrants shouldn't be just judged on how well and quickly they integrate.

Last edited by Natnasci; 01-25-2022 at 12:27 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada